PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my 250r

new2the250r
10-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Ok, ill try to make this as descriptive and short as possible. Take a few kicks to start my bike, sometimes it doesnt...

When bike is at idle with choke on it runs fine with a high idle, when i put the choke down the bike sometimes wants to die so i have to give it gas, when i give it gas it revs fine but when i let go of the throttle the bike still sounds like its revving then dies a few seconds after. Like I said this happens sometimes.

now if i get the bike to idle and run fine ill ride it, 1st gear rides fine, 2nd gear at start is fine but if i give it gas it just bogs out.

please help, wish i could be more specific but its hard to explain

prepracing
10-24-2005, 02:19 AM
have u cleaned/checked your carb. out ? if not give that a try

BLACKeR
10-24-2005, 01:01 PM
when you say sometimes it makes me think air leak. also whats your compression at? i would check that and check for an air leak. if your sucking air sometimes the choke might just rich it out enough to make up for it on idle. and then when you ride it its leaning out and falling off at the top end.

ommkevin
10-24-2005, 01:02 PM
try the carb

wilkin250r
10-24-2005, 01:41 PM
First, clean out your carb. While you are at it, have a look at your reeds, and write down your jetting specs (pilot size, main size, needle-clip settings, air-screw setting).

Then, post you jetting specs here, along with a complete list of motor mods. Somebody will look at it and give you jetting advice.

If that doesn't fix it, your going to have to get more complex with it, like checking for air leaks and such.

new2the250r
10-24-2005, 02:34 PM
I have NEVER taking apart a carb before, I must admit. So when I take it apart its going to be a little puzzling. So figuring out my pilot size, main size, needle-clip and air-screw may be a prob.

Any help is very appreciated

wilkin250r
10-24-2005, 03:35 PM
It sounds like you're fairly new to quads, and to mechanical repair in general. So let me give you a heads-up.

Very rarely is there ever a "turn this bolt 1/2 turn" kind of fix. Most are complicated, and require mechanical knowledge, as well as experience.

Now, WE can help provide a bit of that experience, we can point you to possible solutions, and things to pay attention to. But we can't take your carb apart for you, YOU have to supply the mechanical knowledge and ability.

First and foremost, get a repair manual. Not an Owner's manual, they just tell you how to put gas in, and turn the lights on. You need a REPAIR manual. You can get a genuine Honda manual, or a Clymer manual, it really doesn't matter. But the manual will give you diagrams and steps to do almost any repair you need, like disassembly of the carb, remove the stator, replace axle bearings, ect.

So, first thing, get a repair manual. It will tell you how to take your carb off, and take it apart. It will also give you some basic theory, and tell you how your carb works, and what all the adjustments do.