PDA

View Full Version : NASA (opinions)

Butters
10-23-2005, 09:51 PM
i was just watching the history channel and it was talking about the space race. i was just wondering how many of you think we should continue to push into outerspace, and who thinks we should stick with what we have and quit sending people out there?

Quad18star
10-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Personally I think it's a waste of time and money . I don't know about others , but I really don't care if there was life on Mars 5 billion years ago . They can go ahead and build a city out there and live like the Jetsons ... myself , I enjoy gravity .

Pman485
10-23-2005, 10:12 PM
I just want sombody to get to Jupiter... that planet kicks ***.

Butters
10-23-2005, 11:15 PM
yeah i agree there is no point in going to another planet. i mean seriously what point is that going to prove other than look what we did.

Bush0102
10-23-2005, 11:32 PM
I dont think anybody really realizes how much NASA has contributed to world society. Their research has led to advancement in technology in countless fields from medicine to engineering.

It may be pricy, but to be honest i like the Idea.

Butters
10-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
I dont think anybody really realizes how much NASA has contributed to world society. Their research has led to advancement in technology in countless fields from medicine to engineering.

It may be pricy, but to be honest i like the Idea.

i don't mind them helping development of aircraft and such for use on earth, its all the stuff that they do in outerspace that bugs me. i know that sometimes they need to send some scientist to outer space to try to figure some stuff out for medicine, and if they are doing that, right on. its just when they want to send little machines to probe around on mars and the moon that piss me off. i don't think that betters our society at all.

K-Dub
10-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Man Im glad you guys wasnt around when Columbus wanted to find the new world and prove that the earth wasnt flat.

prepracing
10-24-2005, 01:33 AM
you know we have never landed on the moon before, it was all just a big scam :rolleyes:

MOFO
10-24-2005, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by K-Dub
Man Im glad you guys wasnt around when Columbus wanted to find the new world and prove that the earth wasnt flat.

yea really!

Exploring outer space is the next step - its not even close to being a waste of money or time!

MOFO
10-24-2005, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Butters
i don't mind them helping development of aircraft and such for use on earth, its all the stuff that they do in outerspace that bugs me. i know that sometimes they need to send some scientist to outer space to try to figure some stuff out for medicine, and if they are doing that, right on. its just when they want to send little machines to probe around on mars and the moon that piss me off. i don't think that betters our society at all.

Wow, such a greedy point of view!

It might not better our society now, but who knows, it could better your great grand kids life!

As posted before, you would have been against people sailing around the world because you did not directly benefit from it.

This entire thread just shows how impatient our society has become. We want answers and solutions now! If you cant provide answers, stop what your doing... right? :rolleyes:

wilkin250r
10-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by K-Dub

You might want to re-check your history book. Columbus didn't want to find a new world, he was trying to find a new trade route to India.

But, I agree with your premise. Exploration is a necessity.

The earth's resources are finite, and overcrowding is an eventual certainty.

Did you know, it was only 100 years ago that they were inventing and perfecting internal-combustion automobiles? Television had not even been invented, and many homes didn't even have electricity and running water.

Many of you could still be around in 80 years. Think about all that has advanced in the last 80 years, how much will the next 80 years bring?

It's possible we could be taking trips to the moon, or Mars, but that won't happen if we don't do the research now.

Butters
10-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Wow, such a greedy point of view!

It might not better our society now, but who knows, it could better your great grand kids life!

As posted before, you would have been against people sailing around the world because you did not directly benefit from it.

This entire thread just shows how impatient our society has become. We want answers and solutions now! If you cant provide answers, stop what your doing... right? :rolleyes:

other then medicine, what do you honestly think we will benefit from in outer space.

Woodsrider
10-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Just think, if it weren't for the space program, all then little kids and old folks out there would still have to tie thier shoes. I mean where would we be without velcro?:huh
On a serious note, space exploration is a must. NASAs red tape and pork barrel budget are not. But it is driving independant companies and individuals on a quest for more economic and reliable transportion into orbit. From there, anything is possible.
Remember, everything is science-fiction before it's science fact.

red2004 TRX450R
10-24-2005, 11:47 AM
With out the space race most of us would be dead and the rest of us would be speaking a different language!!!!
Because it started during the cold war, the US wanted to show every one they were best and no one could win a war agent the US. And so that we could put nukes in space and hit anywhere in the world with in minutes and no one could do any thing to stop us.

We still need to do things in space because we still can’t stop intercontinental ballistic missiles!!

So we could all die with in minutes and the US cant stop it!!!!

tater_kamik
10-24-2005, 11:51 AM
i absolutely believe we should pursue this, it is the only way to advance. if we never tried something that has not been accomplished before, then where would we be today?

Butters
10-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
With out the space race most of us would be dead and the rest of us would be speaking a different language!!!!
Because it started during the cold war, the US wanted to show every one they were best and no one could win a war agent the US. And so that we could put nukes in space and hit anywhere in the world with in minutes and no one could do any thing to stop us.

We still need to do things in space because we still can’t stop intercontinental ballistic missiles!!

So we could all die with in minutes and the US cant stop it!!!!

actually when it comes to space the russians beat us, except we landed on the moon first.

red2004 TRX450R
10-24-2005, 12:00 PM
actually when it comes to space the russians beat us, except we landed on the moon first.

ya we could both shoot nukes at each other. and u dont shoot nukes at some one that will/could shoot back!!!!

I think we both won!!

Bush0102
10-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
you know we have never landed on the moon before, it was all just a big scam :rolleyes:

haha you know after doing a little research into that issue, i honestly dont know where i stand on that anymore. It would be very feasable to fake, but i lean more towards the side that it really did happen.

Butters, you need to do some research and come up with some better evidence before you continue your argument. There are thousands of non-medical innovations created by NASA every year.

Bush0102
10-24-2005, 12:17 PM

and we had the first man to orbit the earth multiple times, and the first privately funded space flight, and the oldest astronaught in space, and the only reusable space vehicle, and the first probe to visit mars....the list goes on, do some reading and learn someting

mrusk
10-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Nasa is a complete utter waste of money. Space exploreation is very important though. It should just be lest to the private sector. If a private company had the money that NASA gets, we'd already have a man on Mars.

Matt

Butters
10-24-2005, 01:16 PM
haha you know after doing a little research into that issue, i honestly dont know where i stand on that anymore. It would be very feasable to fake, but i lean more towards the side that it really did happen.

Butters, you need to do some research and come up with some better evidence before you continue your argument. There are thousands of non-medical innovations created by NASA every year.

thats great they can continue to make their innovations. just don't waste millions of dollars going to mars, cause i don't think they really innovate anything buy that. that is what i am arguing.

jack_no7
10-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Of course we need nasa how else would we have gotten tang

Tommy 17
10-24-2005, 04:15 PM
^ lmfao!

i think NASA is great... but i think our biggest problem is the space shuttle and the lack of funding... face it the shuttle is a flyin disaster just suckin up money and gettin us no where... what they need to do is redesign or build a completly new aircraft...

i'm actualy thinkin about goin into nasa after i get my degree!

Honda TRX250ex
10-24-2005, 07:03 PM
i like my gravity and water and blue sky :)

Butters
10-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex
i like my gravity and water and blue sky :)

i'll second that.

honda350r
10-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Here Butters,spinoff on this

http://www.thespaceplace.com/nasa/spinoffs.html

Butters
10-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
Here Butters,spinoff on this

http://www.thespaceplace.com/nasa/spinoffs.html

so that all came about from us going to mars?

Pman485
10-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Imagine if Earth had low gravity... you could hit a jump on your bike, and be airborn for a good few seconds. that would be cool.

honda350r
10-24-2005, 09:58 PM
so that all came about from us going to mars?

Uh....Yeah..

coryatver
10-24-2005, 10:22 PM
I don't know if you all heard already but we are going back to the moon before the end of the decade. Its in the works. And this time we are setting up a base on the moon for a pit stop on the way to mars. Nasa gives people motivation to come up with new Ideas. I hope someday I can contribute in some way.

Butters
10-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Uh....Yeah..

since man has walked on mars and everything. anyways i think saying NASA put motivation in people is a good thing. i just don't think something like space exploration should be someones motivation to invent velcro. it seems a little to deep and far fetched though. oh well i truly don't care, cause there is nothing i can do. enough people are fed up with NASA and space anyways, so i'll let them take care of it, cause no matter what wether we are going into space or not i'm sure taxes will stay the same.

popo
10-24-2005, 11:57 PM
I just want too know if it's possible to bump uglies while in zero gravity.

Slap a NASA sticka on my butt ,send me too space wit a couple honies and I'll send back photos.

quads_kicka$$
10-25-2005, 12:25 AM
If a huge astroid was heading towards earth and threatened the survival of mankind whos gonna save us?? NASA!!!!!

Bush0102
10-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by quads_kick*****
If a huge astroid was heading towards earth and threatened the survival of mankind whos gonna save us?? NASA!!!!!

No, bruce willis and ben affleck would. They've got experience.

Butters
10-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by quads_kick*****

i wouldn't hold my breath on that. of course they could get lucky, i mean we did land on the moon. maybe thats how NASA works, every once in a while something goes right. :D

honda350r
10-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by popo
I just want too know if it's possible to bump uglies while in zero gravity.

Yes, but it will take a third person to make it happen! That is how dolfins do it! It takes three... :eek2:

10-25-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm not so sure we went to the moon in the 60's or whenever it was; in the movie they shot the flag was blowing in the wind- and there is no wind on the moon:ermm:

Rastus
10-25-2005, 11:57 AM
The resource of Helium-3 would be reason enough to have more missions to the moon. If you don't know what it is, then look it up because an explanation on here would be very lengthy.

NASA has been and will continue to be an important part of life, school, and society.

Atkins
10-25-2005, 11:59 AM

Yea, same here. Ive probed into all the conspiracy theories, and Im kinda on the fence about the whole issue, but more likely than not we did land there.

But back to the issue at hand, you people need to be less ignorant towards space exploration. I think NASA needs more funding personally, we should all bite it a little so that our species will be that much more advanced in the future. Plus the short term developments honda350r pointed out are a great example of how the people alive can also benifit in a huge way from the brilliant minds at NASA.

Butters
10-25-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Atkins
Yea, same here. Ive probed into all the conspiracy theories, and Im kinda on the fence about the whole issue, but more likely than not we did land there.

But back to the issue at hand, you people need to be less ignorant towards space exploration. I think NASA needs more funding personally, we should all bite it a little so that our species will be that much more advanced in the future. Plus the short term developments honda350r pointed out are a great example of how the people alive can also benifit in a huge way from the brilliant minds at NASA.

i don't think the people against NASA are ignorant, they just aren't open minded about things, which for the most part i'm not. you saying we are ignorant only makes you ignorant.

Atkins
10-25-2005, 12:19 PM
i don't think the people against NASA are ignorant, they just aren't open minded about things, which for the most part i'm not. you saying we are ignorant only makes you ignorant.

Im saying you are ignorant because you are, you look at blasting into space as just a joyride for the astronauts, where tehy are really making advancements that you use every day. You wouldnt be listening to your Ipod if it wasnt for NASA.

Imagine what would happen if we found a feasable way to terraform Mars? We would have a second planet. I dont know about you, but that seems like a pretty big deal to me.:macho

Butters
10-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Atkins
Im saying you are ignorant because you are, you look at blasting into space as just a joyride for the astronauts, where tehy are really making advancements that you use every day. You wouldnt be listening to your Ipod if it wasnt for NASA.

Imagine what would happen if we found a feasable way to terraform Mars? We would have a second planet. I dont know about you, but that seems like a pretty big deal to me.:macho

your the ignorant one cause you obviously can't even read. i never mentioned joyride. i said i don't see the point in space exploration, exploration meaning us going to mars the moon, jupitar or what ever other planet it may be. thats what i am talking about. :rolleyes: going into space and orbiting is one thing, exploring another planet is another. oh and by the way i don't have an iPod. they are overrated and expensive.

MOFO
10-25-2005, 03:07 PM
oh and by the way i don't have an iPod. they are overrated and expensive.

LMAO... no, they are not.

Only expensive and overrated to the people who cant afford them. iPods have been the standard and baseline for all MP3 players - when you see a new MP3 player, they ALWAYS compare it to an iPod.... kinda funny its overrated but yet used in EVERY comparison...and win every time.

Anyways, to get back on topic, are you saying your for Space Exploration IF they are going to other planets and not just orbiting the earth?

Butters
10-25-2005, 03:19 PM

Only expensive and overrated to the people who cant afford them. iPods have been the standard and baseline for all MP3 players - when you see a new MP3 player, they ALWAYS compare it to an iPod.... kinda funny its overrated but yet used in EVERY comparison...and win every time.

Anyways, to get back on topic, are you saying your for Space Exploration IF they are going to other planets and not just orbiting the earth?

no basically the opposite of what you said, i think. i'm not for going to other planets, and not really for orbiting the earth, but since thats not going to happen, its better then them going to other planets.

Robin Hood
10-25-2005, 03:21 PM

I broke my Ipod :(

MOFO
10-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
I broke my Ipod :(

Ummm...thats nice. Stuff breaks - nothing is unbreakable or lasts forever... anyways...

So your for orbiting earth, but not for exploring our solar system or other planets... please explain your way of thinking.... :confused:

Why is exploring space a waste of money in general?

Butters
10-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Ummm...thats nice. Stuff breaks - nothing is unbreakable or lasts forever... anyways...

So your for orbiting earth, but not for exploring our solar system or other planets... please explain your way of thinking.... :confused:

Why is exploring space a waste of money in general?

well i give NASA the props for coming up with new innovations. i'm not really pro orbiting earth, but it could be worse. i think we should quit spending so much on NASA, and worry more about spending money on better everyday useful items.

MOFO
10-25-2005, 05:01 PM
well i give NASA the props for coming up with new innovations. i'm not really pro orbiting earth, but it could be worse. i think we should quit spending so much on NASA, and worry more about spending money on better everyday useful items.

Ok, what are these "everyday useful items"?

Let me guess...Welfare...

Butters
10-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Ok, what are these "everyday useful items"?

Let me guess...Welfare...

your attitude never quits does it. i thought you were actually going to listen.

MOFO
10-25-2005, 06:37 PM
your attitude never quits does it. i thought you were actually going to listen.

I am...

What gov't programs do you want to supplement by using NASA's funding?

...and you have yet to prove exactly how our space exploration program is going to be a waste of money - or why its a waste of money now.

Just because I ask questions, on topic, that are hard for you to answer - that automatically gives me an attitude??? :rolleyes:

You go from being against NASA and think its a total waste of money....now your not totally against it, but think we need to reduce spending and apply it towards other "better" programs....

Butters
10-25-2005, 06:48 PM
I am...

What gov't programs do you want to supplement by using NASA's funding?

...and you have yet to prove exactly how our space exploration program is going to be a waste of money - or why its a waste of money now.

Just because I ask questions, on topic, that are hard for you to answer - that automatically gives me an attitude??? :rolleyes:

no your attitude is from your sarcastic answers. i mean did you honestly think i meant take the money from NASA and put it into welfare? i feel that was you just trying to being funny. i mean they could just better fund inventors or scientist to help them make progress on whatever it is they may be doing. i never once said either that i could prove it was a waste of money, i said i thought it was a waste of money.

*when i said earlier that orbiting was better than exploring i said that on the fact that NASA isn't going anywhere, so if they quit the exploration part it would be better than nothing. -that is in response to your edit, cause you did that after i responded.

MOFO
10-25-2005, 06:56 PM
i never once said either that i could prove it was a waste of money, i said i thought it was a waste of money.

Ok, so you base your opinion on absolutely nothing? No facts... no ideas...no reports... its just a "gut" feeling?

I think you are making some bold statements and opinions for not really knowing about the topic on hand.

In this topic alone, people have posted information, facts and inventions that benefit everyones lives today - all derived from our "infant" stage of space exploration.

We have explored our own planet almost to its own limits - besides drilling into the core itself. Its only in our nature to go beyond our limits to see what is out there. YOU have no idea whats out there, just as everyone does not know. That in itself is more than enough reason to atleast see whats there.

Why should we just enclose ourselves in a bubble and ignore the rest of the solar system??? There is SO much more out there than just us or our planet!

Sometimes you need to open your mind a bit and look beyond your walls...

Making statements such as yours based on nothing and using your admitted "closed" mind or not having an open mind can be considered ignorant.

I'm finished with this topic... its like beating a dead horse.

Butters
10-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Ok, so you base your opinion on absolutely nothing? No facts... no ideas...no reports... its just a "gut" feeling?

I think you are making some bold statements and opinions for not really knowing about the topic on hand.

In this topic alone, people have posted information, facts and inventions that benefit everyones lives today - all derived from our "infant" stage of space exploration.

We have explored our own planet almost to its own limits - besides drilling into the core itself. Its only in our nature to go beyond our limits to see what is out there. YOU have no idea whats out there, just as everyone does not know. That in itself is more than enough reason to atleast see whats there.

Why should we just enclose ourselves in a bubble and ignore the rest of the solar system??? There is SO much more out there than just us or our planet!

Sometimes you need to open your mind a bit and look beyond your walls...

Making statements such as yours based on nothing and using your admitted "close" mind can be considered ignorant.

the cool thing about an opinion is it doesn't have to be proven. an opinion is what you said a "gut" feeling so to speak. but as it states in the title clearly "opinion" thats what i was looking for. basically a yah or nah of wether we shhould or not. basing my opinion off of nothing doesn't make me ignorant. because since all these people gave me these reasons i am partially educated. you are just assuming i didn't already know that, and that i don't know more. maybe i don't care about the stuff that NASA invented. its personal opinion.

hondardr4life
10-25-2005, 07:18 PM
MOFO, I just read this entire thread, and you would make an excellent trial lawyer.

My thoughts on NASA. I think its really cool and we should keep exploring space.

honda350r
10-25-2005, 07:44 PM
i mean they could just better fund inventors or scientist to help them make progress on whatever it is they may be doing.

UH ??? I think they call that NASA :rolleyes:

Butters
10-25-2005, 07:50 PM
UH ??? I think they call that NASA :rolleyes:

really? are you serious?

EDITED: Now your resorting to personal attacks. See rule #1.

honda350r
10-25-2005, 07:55 PM
really? are you serious?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! LMFAO!!

You can always tell when a boy has been had ! In computer talk that is called ...OWNED!! :macho

Butters
10-25-2005, 08:01 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! LMFAO!!

You can always tell when a boy has been had ! In computer talk that is called ...OWNED!! :macho

i bet your kids hate it when you talk all hip.