PDA

View Full Version : Common Z problems???

raptorman01
10-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Been thinking latley of getting a Z just wondering whats the most common problems that they have?? Ive heard some about timing chain issues is this true? Any motor problems at all? Any input would be gratley appreciated. thanks.

400exrider707
10-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Motors seem to be decent in stock form. The timing chains do seem to stretch rather quickly. The biggest complaints especially with the earlier ones is the cracke frames and cracked swingarms. The whole swingarm setup is a joke anyways.

44oEX
10-24-2005, 12:03 PM
oh yeah there great...got to love suzuki quality.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid178/p4b3ef6d60d64d03789eeacad17ce2772/f3380016.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/pd28b861300897e189fd328fb943c0f88/f1c0f23f.jpg

that frame was NOT cut...it was dissasenbled and it just fell apart...didn't do anything crazy
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid175/p5f5b1ede8044685da0fbd42eb89cca28/f38399fa.jpg

whiteflash
11-01-2005, 09:52 PM
and cracks by the front shock mounts...

IrideMHSC
11-02-2005, 01:07 PM
I have a problem on my 03 of the boot between the block and the carb bowing off on the carb side

AceLtz
11-02-2005, 05:19 PM
do you have a stock carb or a an aftermarket? if you have an aftermarket you need the drze boot because the stock one is made for a 36mm carburetor.

ive had no complaints with my 05 ltz. Suzuki was supposed to fix all the frame issues that the 03 had. my ltz runs great, no problems whatsoever

PowerMadd789XC
11-02-2005, 08:41 PM
hey guys , im probably gettin a z 400 in a couple of months , i was just wonderin how and why the frames do that , and also is it hard to do it , does the wieght of the rider have any thing to do wiht it , and i race xc and will be racen the z in xc , will it hold up good in xc , i would really appriciat this information, thanks ,:D

IrideMHSC
11-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I ride my 03 in xc all the time all year long and i have no compaints when it comes to racing through the woods. No i have an after market carb but i didnt know that i needed a different boot.... Will it matter if i get an edelbrock?

AceLtz
11-03-2005, 04:12 PM
im pretty sure an edelbrock is equivelent to a 37mm or somthing. i dont think you need a drze boot. thier like $10 so its no big deal if you have to get one. what carb do you have right now?

PowerMadd789XC
11-03-2005, 05:02 PM
thanks a bunch for the information:D

priebo15
11-07-2005, 08:35 PM
with this whole frame/swingarm problem, do they hold up to mx very well for very long? i've been thinking about/wanting to get an '05 or '06 kfx and was planning on racing mx with it. but if im going to have to replace the swingarm and the frame soon after getting it then i would be having second thoughts. btw, i wouldnt be doing any huge jumps because the tracks around here dont have real big jumps.. the biggest would have to be the finish line table at one of them and its (rough guess) 35-45 feet if that. of course kahoka has some decent size jumps but i wont be heading there very often.

sorry if this is hijacking, but since its related i didnt think it would cause much harm

44oEX
11-08-2005, 04:48 AM
the newer versions have are a little better...but yeah if you only do 40 footer you should be just fine

Kovatch
11-08-2005, 08:48 AM
I have an '04 Z (as you can see in my signature). I think the swing arm will hold up really well. I ran it for over 1.5 years and I was racing ATVA nationals (MX). Plus I raced locally in the off weeks. I did end up cracking mine after a bad wreck, but everything will crack at one point.

I did buy the gusset kit from bareperformance right before i started racing seriously. I had two minor cracks in the frame. I felt that before I would ride 3-4 times a week, I wanted that reassurance that the frame would not crack im its stress points. I think the frame will hold up without gussets. Mine did for almost 1 year before i had it completely rebuilt.

I have heard you can run the 400ex boot on the carb but that I do not know for sure. I do not know for what carb either.

One thing the Z needs to do is breathe! If you plan on racing at some point, get the head ported and polished. It will give the motor so much more when you need it!

I had no trouble with cam timing chains, but I know they offer an aftermarket one. My motor is built (as you can see) and I have no problems with it.

IrideMHSC
11-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Im runnning a mikuni right now

AceLtz
11-08-2005, 08:37 PM
you cant feel the whole power of Big bore and built motors if you cant feed it. the stock carb will not get you very far as would a fcr39. i always reccomend getting the "accessories" (Cams, Carburetor, exhaust, and intake) first before getting a bigbore so the engine will be able to work. the stock carb limits how much your engine can consume, the stock cams limit how fast it can consume/exhaust, and the stock exhaust limits how much it can put out.

Remember, all the parts in your engines are made for 400ccs not a bigger bore engine.

KoolKwad400
12-11-2005, 04:53 PM
No problems on my '06 yet, other than the infamous "coolant issue". Bike seems pretty strong, but it's really only trail ridden. No racing, tracks, or Doug Gust-type moves. Only had all four wheels off the ground twice, and no big air. I was going to buy a 400EX, but a friend who I trust and used to race recommended the LT-Z. Overall, I've been happy, once I adjusted all of the controls/cables/handlebars to fit me.

Jerry

IrideMHSC
12-11-2005, 07:11 PM
"cant feel the whole power of Big bore and built motors if you cant feed it. the stock carb will not get you very far as would a fcr39. i always reccomend getting the "accessories" (Cams, Carburetor, exhaust, and intake) first before getting a bigbore so the engine will be able to work. the stock carb limits how much your engine can consume, the stock cams limit how fast it can consume/exhaust, and the stock exhaust limits how much it can put out.

Remember, all the parts in your engines are made for 400ccs not a bigger bore engine."

I have an yoshi pipe and a bigger intake but i need the cams and carb....i have no problem with the engine other than the boot blowing off the carb occasionally

Bigun55
12-11-2005, 08:31 PM
My buddy has a kfx its an 03 he bough it new. and right now he is havin 2 put another timeing chain in it, and the worst part about it is this makes the 4th time. he has alot of trouble with tie rods on it also. and the swingarm were it jsut has the 1 bolt. But u know anything u buy there will b one that will mess up. that might be what happen with him.

IrideMHSC
12-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Yea i had a local atv guy build me some beefier tie rods to eliminate that problem but i havent had a whole lot of of timing chain problems.. its an 03 and ive only replaced it once... when i had a tensioner go bad and ruin my chain.