View Full Version : my teachers went on strike

Sjorge450R
10-23-2005, 08:28 PM
Well this sucks. As of 9:30 sunday night my teachers have gone on strike. The state says that they can do it for 17 school days which is fine by me but there is only one problem. For everyday we miss, they take one schedualed day of vaction off of the calender. We knew the teachers we going to strike for about a week now, so on Friday we decided to show them some thing. At 10:30 when we were switching classes we planned a "walk-out" and the walk-out was successful. They let all the kids go without any trouble and we made the front page of the news paper. We had kids walking around with pieces of paper taped to their chest that said stuff like "Pennsbury teachers screwed class of '06." Yeah this is really random, but this is what the open forum is for.

Doober
10-23-2005, 08:30 PM
man that sucks...i hope the strike dont last that long for ya guys.

stalefish_132
10-23-2005, 08:37 PM
tomorrow i'm going back to school after 2 week strike.:rolleyes:

YFZ450Ridr
10-23-2005, 08:37 PM
that sucks, but i guess enjoy the break from school while u have it. what happens if the strike lasts longer than 17 days?

Sjorge450R
10-23-2005, 08:39 PM
the strike cant legaly last more than 17 school days, so idont know what will happen afterwards. Stalefish why were your teachers striking.

Doober
10-23-2005, 08:43 PM
why strike if you can do it for only 17 days legally? the way i look at it is if the school dont do what they want. they only have 2 options quit or keep teaching(either way nothing gets accomplished), to me it sorta seem pointless to strike.

Mxjunkie
10-23-2005, 08:45 PM
I wish my teacher would go on strike and I only go once a week :eek2:

Punk'd
10-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Id smash them teachers if I had to make up those days in MY SUMMER just because of what THEY did.. Thats not fair.

Sjorge450R
10-23-2005, 09:04 PM
no we dont make up our missed days in the summer, they are going to cut back on our school year vaction time. As in we are proably only going to have 2 1/2 days for christman and they are just going to continue to take more days off.

Butters
10-23-2005, 09:54 PM
yeah i agree it sounds worthless. i'm sure there is something else they could do. oh well enjoy the days off, since you will be making them up anyways.

DAB516
10-23-2005, 10:07 PM
In my opinion you should be on the techers side. You have no idea what it takes to be a teacher. It's definitly not as easy as it looks and in my opinion teachers should be some of the highest paid professionals

Pman485
10-23-2005, 10:10 PM
who cares... so you have to go to school for an extra 17 days, cry me a river.

fasterz
10-23-2005, 10:16 PM
what school? is it pennsbury school district? my mom teaches there and their going on strike starting tomrrow, shes pissed she doesnt want to

stalefish_132
10-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
Stalefish why were your teachers striking.

they had a strike because of classroom sizes, somthing about their contract, and most of all money$$. its pretty dumb if you ask me but life goes on. it was a nice 11 day break tho:p

Sjorge450R
10-24-2005, 07:15 AM
yeah its pennsbury. And the main reason they are strking is because they don't want to have to pay for their medical insurance.

mrusk
10-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by DAB516
In my opinion you should be on the techers side. You have no idea what it takes to be a teacher. It's definitly not as easy as it looks and in my opinion teachers should be some of the highest paid professionals

You sir, win the idoit of the day award. Why should a part time worker be one of the highest paid professions?

Teachers should not be allowed to strike. If they do strike, they should be indited. If they don't like there pay, they shoud find a new job. They already have the best benefits and pension plans in the country. They are raping the tax payers. They are held to no standards. I could go on and on for days. People who can't do, teach. There are very few exceptions to this rule.

Matt

tater_kamik
10-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by mrusk
You sir, win the idoit of the day award. Why should a part time worker be one of the highest paid professions?

Teachers should not be allowed to strike. If they do strike, they should be indited. If they don't like there pay, they shoud find a new job. They already have the best benefits and pension plans in the country. They are raping the tax payers. They are held to no standards. I could go on and on for days. People who can't do, teach. There are very few exceptions to this rule.

Matt

To a point i agree, but mostly i disagree. I have two sisters that are teachers, both with a masters degree. That is what they CHOSE to do, because they wanted to. There are some bad teachers actually, I had quite a few bad teachers. Teachers should have the right to strike. Why shouldnt they? yes, they are teaching "the future" and it is very important, but what if you were not allowed to strike if you felt your pay, benefits, whatever the reason, wasnt adequate? There is no question in my mind, teachers should have better pay, and good benefits. As far as an part time worker, I know that most teachers take home papers to grade, and work on assignments for class time at home. Yes, teachers get the summer off, not the entire summer but i feel it is about even for the extra time they put in during the school year.

oh, apparently you didnt pay attention to your teachers in school, since you cannot spell "idiot"

so YOU sir, get the idiot of the day award

mrusk
10-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Your thoughts are based on two teachers you know. Two.

They are not teaching the future, but merely baby sitting them.

Teachers striking is only hurting the children. They new what their salary and benefits would be before they took the job. If they do not feel they are enough they should just find a job that satisfies their life style more.

Most teachers do not have to take papers home to grade anymore. Most teachers only teach 5 classes out of a 9 period day. Don't tell me teachers have to plan there lessons and stuff. Teachers mostly uses the same lessons year after year. Tehy teach the same stuff and used the same test and quizs year after year.

When i graduated high school i was shock how many kids were going to college to become teachers. What i was shocked about was that the majority of those kids were not too bright.

Matt

wilkin250r
10-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Most teachers do not have to take papers home to grade anymore. Most teachers only teach 5 classes out of a 9 period day. Don't tell me teachers have to plan there lessons and stuff. Teachers mostly uses the same lessons year after year. Tehy teach the same stuff and used the same test and quizs year after year.

What's the last class you taught, Einstien?

I did the teaching thing, more or less. I wasn't full-time, but I did a little bit of teaching at the high-school and college level, and assisted at the middle-school level.

Your post is extremely ignorant.

Lesson plans DO need to be created and updated year after year. Maybe the basic outline is there from the year before, but that will last 3 years at the most, before a new textbook is used and the entire lesson plan must be redone from back to front.

On average, it takes roughly 3 hours to prepare a 1-hr lecture and presentation at the college level. It takes slightly less at the high-school level.

And it's completely impractical to expect a teacher to conduct a full 9 classes in a 9-period day. Where/when are they going to plan their lessons, create tests, and do paperwork, if all their time is spend on lecture?

jwick07
10-24-2005, 01:19 PM

Teachers striking is only hurting the children. They new what their salary and benefits would be before they took the job. If they do not feel they are enough they should just find a job that satisfies their life style more.

When i graduated high school i was shock how many kids were going to college to become teachers. What i was shocked about was that the majority of those kids were not too bright.

Matt

quit bagging on teachers they must have done some thing for you in your pissed off little world that you live in. I do feel bad for the kids loosing scheduled breaks, mainly the ones around the holidays.

I actually would like to go back to college and get my masters and become a teacher.

wilkin250r
10-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Ok, let's try to keep the discussion at least slightly civil.

jwick07
10-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Ok, let's try to keep the discussion at least slightly civil.

Thats my bad, I'll wash my horid typing fingers with scalding hot water and soap and make them sit in my pockets on time out for awhile. :rolleyes:

Flyin High 816
10-24-2005, 02:41 PM

Matt

If the teachers aren't "teaching the future" then who is?

Obviously the education system doesn't teach you everything, but the idea of school and teaching etc has been around a long time for a reason.

My wife is a teacher with a Masters Degree along with many of my friends, so I do have first hand knowledge of the BS that goes along with being a teacher. Do I think they should make six figures a year NO, but should they make more than $35K-$45K ABSOLUTELY.

When you get a chance let us Idiots know where you get your stats on the time it takes for Preparation for each day and each year.

Most kids are there to get some education, maybe you were there for the "Baby sitting".

tater_kamik
10-24-2005, 04:04 PM

Matt

pay attention, i admitted i had some bad teachers, but i had a lot more good, and excellent ones that helped shape me into what i am.

if the teachers are babysitters, then why would it hurt the children if they strike? just send them back to the parents, right? or how about hiring an babysitter?

by your standards, if you take a job, then you shouldnt expect any pay increases, promotions, absolutely nothing. why? "because you new what their salary and benefits would be before they took the job" that is a direct quote.

exboy
10-24-2005, 04:39 PM
i dont know nothin about all that stuff yall are talkin about, but mxjunkie69 why do u only have to go to school one time a week??

mrusk
10-24-2005, 05:07 PM
"by your standards, if you take a job, then you shouldnt expect any pay increases, promotions, absolutely nothing. why? "because you new what their salary and benefits would be before they took the job" that is a direct quote."

When teachers take there jobs, they know what there pay increases will be based on their years at the school and if they increase there degree. If one of my workers walked off the job because he wanted more money, i'd fire his butt in no time. However, we can not do that with teachers if they have tenure. Once a teacher has tenure, they have job security for life. No matter how bad they suck, they got a job. But thats ok.
This is one big reason why public education is a joke and a failure.

"My wife is a teacher with a Masters Degree along with many of my friends, so I do have first hand knowledge of the BS that goes along with being a teacher. Do I think they should make six figures a year NO, but should they make more than $35K-$45K ABSOLUTELY.

When you get a chance let us Idiots know where you get your stats on the time it takes for Preparation for each day and each year.

Most kids are there to get some education, maybe you were there for the "Baby sitting"."

I do not know where you live, but where i live teachers start at 40k and top out at 80k. Some teachers coach 3 sports and top out over 100k. If you really think about it and break it down, teaching is one of the highest paying professions out there. Teachers in my area are retiring with a 75k a year pension. If they live for 30 years after they retire, we pay them 2.25 million for doing nothing. But there under paid.

I was in school to get a education. However, i spent more time giving most of my teachers an educations. I had 1 or 2 good teachers in high school, but i was smarter then most.

Matt

I

wilkin250r
10-24-2005, 05:15 PM
"I was in school to get a education. However, i spent more time giving most of my teachers an educations. I had 1 or 2 good teachers in high school, but i was smarter then most.

I find that hard to believe, if you honestly think teaching is a laid-back job, that few of them take home paperwork to correct, that lessons plans are all the same from year to year, and believe that teachers should be teaching a full 9 periods every day.

You can't possibly hold these views and be of above-average intelligence.

Hondadudeehhhh
10-24-2005, 05:20 PM
mrusk, you are dumber than dierwolf....
some of the most intelligant and influencial people i know are teachers.

250xridamatt
10-24-2005, 05:29 PM
I go to a private jr high and high school that consists of about 400 students. It is my understanding that the teachers make around 25k a year. So the teachers at my school are definately not in it for the money. My chemistry teacher told me that she spends about about 3-4 hours after school to do prep work for her classes. Add on grading tests, homework, quizs and anything else for her 150 students.

Sure there are some teachers that dont do much work outside of school at all, but others spend a lot of time working at home. My english teacher gave up a very high paying job as one of the best guys at a major advertising company. I doubt my teachers would settle for such a small amount of money if they didnt think they doing anything to help out the kids...

DAB516
10-24-2005, 05:34 PM
mrusk, I am not even going to get started with you since you have no clue what your talking about. Until you know what it actually takes to be a teacher keep your mouth shut.

mrusk
10-24-2005, 05:38 PM
250xrida- All my comment refer to public schools teachers.

When you guys get out into the real world and learn alittle about life your'll realize how wrong you all are. When you acctually have to pay property tax you'll understand more.

Matt

MAaudioX10
10-24-2005, 05:44 PM
All this talk about money reminds of an old adige (sp?)..

"You get what you pay for.":ermm:

wilkin250r
10-24-2005, 05:52 PM
When you guys get out into the real world and learn alittle about life your'll realize how wrong you all are. When you acctually have to pay property tax you'll understand more.

Are you kidding me?

You honestly believe that teachers just use the same lesson plan year after year, that they don't take home paperwork, and that they should be teaching a full 9 periods every day.

And you're lecturing US about the real world?!? :huh

LTandRaptorider
10-24-2005, 05:53 PM
250xrida- All my comment refer to public schools teachers.

Matt

Huh... 19 years old and paying property tax already? You must be doing good then... btw... You AREN'T related to Dierwolf, are you?

Only thing I will agree on is that our education system is a shambles. However, part of the blame lies with parents. It DOESN'T take a village to raise a kid... it does take more than a couple idiots, however. Responsibility seems to be something of the past... along with common sense. The teaching profession is of paramount importance... and the pay scale should reflect this. This should be given to QUALIFIED individuals... which I think the majority in teaching match this.

Back to your comment on property tax... I paid this tax for many years... I do not have children... but I see paying taxes such as these a dividend towards our future...

tater_kamik
10-24-2005, 06:04 PM
congrats on being able to fire "your workers" at a burger king. your going to be asking "would you like fries with that?" for a long time. at 19 years old, you still have no clue. i havent lived at home since i was 17. most schools do not start out at 40k, where are these schools at? also, private school teachers in general, make more money than public school teachers. get your "facts" straight, what can i say, ignorance is bliss

"by your standards, if you take a job, then you shouldnt expect any pay increases, promotions, absolutely nothing. why? "because you new what their salary and benefits would be before they took the job" that is a direct quote."

When teachers take there jobs, they know what there pay increases will be based on their years at the school and if they increase there degree. If one of my workers walked off the job because he wanted more money, i'd fire his butt in no time. However, we can not do that with teachers if they have tenure. Once a teacher has tenure, they have job security for life. No matter how bad they suck, they got a job. But thats ok.
This is one big reason why public education is a joke and a failure.

"My wife is a teacher with a Masters Degree along with many of my friends, so I do have first hand knowledge of the BS that goes along with being a teacher. Do I think they should make six figures a year NO, but should they make more than $35K-$45K ABSOLUTELY.

Most kids are there to get some education, maybe you were there for the "Baby sitting"."

I do not know where you live, but where i live teachers start at 40k and top out at 80k. Some teachers coach 3 sports and top out over 100k. If you really think about it and break it down, teaching is one of the highest paying professions out there. Teachers in my area are retiring with a 75k a year pension. If they live for 30 years after they retire, we pay them 2.25 million for doing nothing. But there under paid.

I was in school to get a education. However, i spent more time giving most of my teachers an educations. I had 1 or 2 good teachers in high school, but i was smarter then most.

Matt

I

mrusk
10-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Damn straight i pay property tax, because i own property.

And now i do not work at burger king. Never did, never will. I won't even eat that garbage.

I can't belive how delusional many members on this site have become.

Matt

bigvforcer
10-24-2005, 06:39 PM
With all do respect, many people need to calm down and have a civilized conversation about this topic.

Granted some teachers are bad, but the majority do a good job and enjoy what they are doing.

Do most teachers deserve more money? HELL YES! Why? Because they go to school almost as long as most engineers and someteachers as long as doctors. They make average bewteen 35 and 50 grand a year! I would say that is the national average.
Taking into account that college nowadays can run into th 60 and 70 thousand dollar range, teachers are underpaid.

Do they deserve 75 tp 80 grand a year? No, BUT they do deserve their medical benefits at a decent rate without being screwed(unfortunately, WE ALL NEED THIS)

Teachers are teaching our future! Every Kid they teach may not get a college education, BUT the majority will go out and find a good job and support a family.

I have had many teachers in my 24 Years of life(I know I am young) and I will say that no matter how good or bad they were, they all taught me something! That is what matters!!

Flyin High 816
10-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Damn straight i pay property tax, because i own property.

And now i do not work at burger king. Never did, never will. I won't even eat that garbage.

I can't belive how delusional many members on this site have become.

Matt

"Delusional" huh. You are the only Delusional one, writing about this topic. You are 19 and it seems that you think you know everything. I don't give a sh_t if you do pay property tax. That is the least of my worries when it comes to bills. Big F-ing deal.

I am done with this. I live with teacher, I know what she deals with, and I know how much her checks are.

Oh yeah and since your so smart why don't you just look to the left of your screen next time you "don't know where someone lives" chances are it is in front of your face.