PDA

View Full Version : lectron carb

SHADETREE101
10-23-2005, 06:36 PM
i just ordered a lectron 44mm carb for the ex, anybody got advice on tuning them. this one is from packard?

cals400ex
10-23-2005, 09:37 PM
i think that one is going to be too big. i have read to use the 36 or 38mm lectron carb on my 11:1 426 motor.

SHADETREE101
10-24-2005, 05:24 AM
normally i would agree but, i am currently running a 41mm fcr and it's not enough. with the port work, cam and compression this engine breathes real well, and runs real high end. i have heard some guys are running the 48mm lectron on their yfz's and 450r's. i spoke with packard and he said the only difference is that the 44 will be harder to tune than the 40. hope he's right.

Chino886
10-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by SHADETREE101
normally i would agree but, i am currently running a 41mm fcr and it's not enough. with the port work, cam and compression this engine breathes real well, and runs real high end. i have heard some guys are running the 48mm lectron on their yfz's and 450r's. i spoke with packard and he said the only difference is that the 44 will be harder to tune than the 40. hope he's right.

Hey Shadetree101,

when you get it figured out, let me know, I have a 38mm that I have not installed yet cause I need a new cable. I believe the 86 ATC 250 cable will work. As for tuning, I had one guy, I think it might have been packard that told me to save the time and drive to Kentucky and have it dyno tuned.

D

SHADETREE101
10-25-2005, 07:07 PM
i was told to use the throttle cable from a cr500. it has the 90 degree bend already made and will clear the gas tank with putting a little riser underneath the tank. about 1 inch. as for adjustment i was told the carb will run decent as soon as you install it. you only have to tune the needle for the idle circiut and then open the power valve for top end.

Chino886
10-26-2005, 06:20 AM
i was told to use the throttle cable from a cr500. it has the 90 degree bend already made and will clear the gas tank with putting a little riser underneath the tank. about 1 inch. as for adjustment i was told the carb will run decent as soon as you install it. you only have to tune the needle for the idle circiut and then open the power valve for top end.

So are you using the CR500 cable? I was talking to TC Racing yesterday and he said the whole theory behind the "Power Jet" does not make sense to him on a ATV, unless you are running alcohol. I don't know though.

SHADETREE101
10-26-2005, 06:53 PM
yeah i already have the cable, waiting for the carb. should be here by friday. and yeah the power jet is for alcohol, i am running alcohol now. that's why i need this carb for easier tuning. my 41mm fcr is a pain to tune. too many circuits to contend with

Chino886
10-27-2005, 06:20 AM
yeah i already have the cable, waiting for the carb. should be here by friday. and yeah the power jet is for alcohol, i am running alcohol now. that's why i need this carb for easier tuning. my 41mm fcr is a pain to tune. too many circuits to contend with

Let me know how that cable works for you.

SHADETREE101
10-29-2005, 06:55 AM
well the cable worked out fine, and it was the easiest thing i have ever had to tune. had to richen up the idle circut and opened the power valve until it bogged and backed it off tok like 5 minutes and done.

Chino886
10-29-2005, 06:57 AM
well the cable worked out fine, and it was the easiest thing i have ever had to tune. had to richen up the idle circut and opened the power valve until it bogged and backed it off tok like 5 minutes and done.

So are you selling the FCR now? Is there a certain year of CR 500 cable that you used? I am guessing you are going to go riding today now that the toy is all put back together.

Chino886
10-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
So are you selling the FCR now? Is there a certain year of CR 500 cable that you used? I am guessing you are going to go riding today now that the toy is all put back together.

would this work?

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=9144&navTitle=Control&webCatId=12&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=33&navType=type

SHADETREE101
10-29-2005, 10:30 AM
one of my friends had the cable and gave it to me, he also runs a lectron. those cables look similar but i can't say for sure. i just know they have to have the 90 degree bend in it.

SHADETREE101
11-01-2005, 07:38 PM
well it worked out perfect. packard had it tuned damn near on the money out of the box. i did have trouble getting full throttle with the stock 400ex throttle. macanic borrowed me a 250r thumb trhottle and it worked perfect. the bike runs so much harder with the new carb. usually it wouldn't pull second gear for the hole shot with me on it, but now it is ripping the front end up with a 5" over swingarm. this carb was worth every penny. has to port the carb boot to fit the 44mm but the stock one worked with a lil finessing. the throttle cable worked great also. the gas tank rests on the cable which has the 90 degree bend in it which supports its weight just fine. no need to add any type of spacer.