PDA

View Full Version : shock settings for the dunes?

megadeath
10-23-2005, 03:16 PM
should they do set to hard or soft?
thanks again

desratt
10-24-2005, 06:27 PM
that depends.

are you going to go jump off the biggest dune out there for massive air time or go pound the whoops.

I am a big whoop pounder(at glamis) . I run my desert racing shocks at the dunes.but if I was stock I would
soften the compression, speed the rebound(dampening),and raise the quad a little by turning the preload nuts down.

for big time jumps
stiffen the compression, slow the dapening(rebound), and go down alittle with the quad by raising the preload nuts.

DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF THINKING THE PRELOAD NUTS WILL MAKE IT HARDER OR SOFTER all they will do is raise or lower the quads ride height

sandslinger101
11-01-2005, 06:27 PM
dessert rat you are right on for comp/rebound on woops. i ride at little Sahara in Oklahoma and have a 02 400 with leaguers and full Elka triples and rear linkage and your suggestion on woops is spot on. just a while back i ordered a set of fox shocks for a sandrail and fox had heavy rebound and light comp. on the valving. i told them if it could handle the 12 inch woops at 40-70 mph then it would handle every thing at little Sahara. all i can say is my buddy's rail rides great. i have been duneing since 89 and have a very fast rail but i adjusted my rear shock like his fox shock and it felt like i was going across these12 woops in a rocking chair, it was crazy:devil: currently i can ride as fast as my motor has horsepower across the big woops, top of 4th and or bottom of 5th. but hopefully some of these younger riders will try your suggestion from a experienced duner. young fellows this a very good setup on the dunes so read and learn from experience.

desratt
11-05-2005, 10:49 PM
another little bit on fast whooping is even though your going as fast as your motor will let you. someone with a slower motor could actually pass you with better suspension. cause better suspension will keep the tires on the ground instead of just skipping across the top. if the tires are on the ground you are excelerating. same reason in supercross they don't jump as high as they could they stay low and land right on the lip instead of over jumping.

sandslinger101
11-08-2005, 05:35 PM
desratt again i think you are spot on dude. granted i am not a quad racer like your self but been around racing for a while, raced my first stock car in 1983 yes i am old but , like i said, been duning for 16 years and hope some of the less experienced riders will try your setup opinions. i bet you enjoy wfo duning, like my self , it takes extremes to get the adrenilin flowing:macho hopefully one of these days i will venture to the crassy dunes on the west coast and have a hooooraa :D

desratt
11-09-2005, 12:05 AM
look me up if you come this way....

I usually only ride dunes once a year and thats thanksgiving.
race pretty much every other weekend.

OKTRX450R
11-11-2005, 01:52 PM
SandSlinger...I am in Bartlesville, OK and ride LS quite often. We are making a trip to Glamis in mid-January for Four Stroke Wars. There is already a small caravaan forming from this area you are more then welcome to tag along!