View Full Version : making own exhaust

ommkevin
10-22-2005, 07:23 PM
has n e 1 done this or is it too hard

how did u do it

is it worth it

tater_kamik
10-22-2005, 07:47 PM
im thinking, no, no, and no. unless you are doing an turbo setup, i dont see why anyone would do it, the aftermarket companies spend a lot of time creating an exhaust that creates the most power everywhere and fits perfectly. personally, i would never do it, but that is just me

ommkevin
10-23-2005, 07:03 AM
i ahve metal shop and i thought it would be a cool to make exhaust

MadMax27
10-23-2005, 07:38 AM
I made my own dual exhaust, using 2 stock systems. Turned out great, but I lost power....:( My advice is leave it to the professionals. Im sure if I had kept my "Homemade" system, I wouldve burnt up a valve....

10-23-2005, 09:25 AM
take a 2 inch fat steal pipe and cut it to the length u nead n try to bend it at the angles it should be at. that would be the same as a slip on jest not as big cuz muflfers r only big to quiet it down.

10-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by MadMax27
I made my own dual exhaust, using 2 stock systems. Turned out great, but I lost power....:( My advice is leave it to the professionals. Im sure if I had kept my "Homemade" system, I wouldve burnt up a valve....

u probly lost botom end power n got more top end power by doing that.

400exrules
10-23-2005, 02:29 PM
mmmmm i wouldnt try it if i were you. I would just shell out the $220 for an hmf slip-on

ZeroLogic
10-23-2005, 03:36 PM
if it dosnt cost you much i say give it a try...

ommkevin
10-23-2005, 04:31 PM
yea it doesnt cost n e thing so i thought id give it a try i wasnt sure if n e 1 had done it b 4

ommkevin
10-25-2005, 02:06 PM
would you lose any power if youmade the exhaust square

how abuot duel exhausts

ZeroLogic
10-25-2005, 03:25 PM
like a square header??

you should make it look like a 2 stroke exaust how its fat at the header that would be cool

400exrider707
10-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by MadMax27

how exactly do you burn up a valve? And why would a different exhaust hurt your vavles?

ommkevin
10-25-2005, 06:56 PM
no i mean a square muffler

you will burn up a valve if there is no back pressure

i cant make the header square b c i wont have n e way to connect it to the motor

10-25-2005, 06:57 PM
well what ever u do dont have the inside of the muffler more thatn 2 inches fat cuz biger than that n it will be flowing to much air.

10-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by ommkevin
no i mean a square muffler

i cant make the header square b c i wont have n e way to connect it to the motor

for the header use the part of stock header that connects to the engine and after it curves around the engine then cut the rest of the header off n start from their. for making a header

400exrider707
10-25-2005, 07:18 PM

Explain that one?? :rolleyes:

2004exrider
10-25-2005, 07:39 PM
You can not burn up a valve from not having enough back pressure! The only way you can mess up a valve is if you have such a short exhaust pipe that it cant hold heat in the pipe so the valve(s) is constantly cooling down then getting hot again. Or if you dont have it jetted rite and its really lean that can burn a valve. You could have a 3'' pipe coming off it and it would be fine, you'll just loose a lot of bottom end power.

Jimmy

ommkevin
10-25-2005, 07:45 PM
oh sry thats what i heard my dad say that

what do u mean if its more than 2 in thick it will flow 2 much air

i wanted to over lap plates so the air would shoot in between the plates until it got to the end thats what happens in car mufflers

would 12 plates be ok and quiet enough
for the header use the part of stock header that connects to the engine and after it curves around the engine then cut the rest of the header off n start from their. for making a header

can u make dual exhaust doing that 2

2004exrider
10-25-2005, 08:02 PM
wasnt trying to come off as a jerk, sorry if i did. Im sure that you could make the duals, and since itd be free heck give it a try. if it works than great, if it doesnt then consider it an experience. You'd think that if you didnt make the pipe to wide and had the mufflers set up right it would work pretty good. I would try and contact LTE exhaust and see what the diameter of the header pipe is they use. For the mufflers, i have no clue how they should be set up. I think that would actually be pretty cool to see how it comes out, keep us updated if you end up doing this.

Jimmy

ommkevin
10-26-2005, 01:16 PM
is cool

thanks guys

2muchquad
11-12-2005, 10:47 PM
theres nothing wrong with making custom exhaust as long as you know what your doing.i've been doing it for years..loljust experiment,read up on it online etc.theres all kinds of info on it

roadthrills
12-01-2005, 11:33 AM
I made my own dual system. It took about a day.

SUPER_DAVE
12-01-2005, 12:18 PM
I'd just stick with a "real" pipe. Unless your not looking for optimum power and are just bored enough that you want to make your own. Oh and I've been that bored, but I just didnt have the materials to do it with....:D

I want to see some pics when your done with it! :)

kdub33
12-01-2005, 08:21 PM
i have a friend that put dual exhaust on 1 of the new kawasaki vforce 700 and i was wondering if it added power or lessen it?? does it make it any louder?

hondarider2006
12-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by roadthrills
I made my own dual system. It took about a day.

anymore pics???

roadthrills
12-02-2005, 06:43 AM
I'll try to get more pics this weekend.

Harkinsmx
12-02-2005, 11:11 AM
One of my buddies put a 4" crome truck exaust tip on his pipe.
it was realy loud!!!! It put anouther buddies 4-wheeler with a
Pro circuit to shame. it was louder that heck

bwamos
12-02-2005, 01:04 PM

how did u do it

is it worth it

It's not hard, it's just hard to do right. ;)

It's not worth it.

You'll most likley end up with something that makes a Cobra Pipe feel like a high performance pipe. ;)

However... if your looking for a cheap alternative.. a home made silencer isn't that hard to make. Just need a preforated core, packing, 4-5" pipe for the can, and some hand fabricated endcaps.

Or you could gut the stock cannister, and fabricate your own core (preforated) to make it a straight through design and put a turndown at the end to reduce noise. You'll want pre-preforated stainless steel exhaust core material, unless you enjoy drilling 500-600 3/32" holes on a round pipe. ;)

12-02-2005, 07:55 PM
i made a new slip on 2 weeks ago and its 8 inches long. i did loose some botom end power not a whole lot but i felt a loss. i gaind major top end though after 3rd gear it pulls pritty hard it made my head go back cuz i wasnt used to all that top end. the pipe looks kinda like a chunky tc. i used a streight 8 inch long 2 inch fat pipe for the core and for the body i used a 5 inch peace i cut off my white bros pipe. n i used a 400ex stock end cap n pollished it up n put a fmf sticker on it. its about loud as running only the header cuz i fell off n broke n 3 peaces n i didnt notice eny more noise. i got the pipe to gether n ready to go again. now im working on a botom end pipe.

for making your one pipe i would use the body of the stock slip on its alot easier. all u do is take the whole in side out put a steal pipe n their for a core n scrue it on th the end cap to hold it in place.

12-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
It's not hard, it's just hard to do right. ;)

It's not worth it.

You'll most likley end up with something that makes a Cobra Pipe feel like a high performance pipe. ;)

However... if your looking for a cheap alternative.. a home made silencer isn't that hard to make. Just need a preforated core, packing, 4-5" pipe for the can, and some hand fabricated endcaps.

Or you could gut the stock cannister, and fabricate your own core (preforated) to make it a straight through design and put a turndown at the end to reduce noise. You'll want pre-preforated stainless steel exhaust core material, unless you enjoy drilling 500-600 3/32" holes on a round pipe. ;)

do what he sid on his last parigraph thats the best thing to do and easiest thing to do. u dont need to put holes n the coar at less u want it to be quieter. u will get a little more performance if u dont put holes n their but moe noise.

on my white bros e pipe i made in to a shorty n i replaced the coar with a 2 inch fat pipe so i could rev a little faster cuz the wholes n regular coars r made so the sound can go through the holes n hit the packing. but with a coar with no holes it gets louder cuz the sound cant hit the packing n it flows air out faste to with out all those holes n their.

K_Fulk
12-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Why would you even use a silencer if your gonna put a strait pipe in it for a core. :confused:

400exstud
12-02-2005, 09:33 PM
What I think he means is a cherry bomb style silencer. Straight core with packing around it like a HMF and other pipes without baffels.

K_Fulk
12-02-2005, 11:41 PM
White brothers already have a strait core.

roadthrills
12-12-2005, 07:28 AM
Sorry for the delay. Here's the pics of my finished exhaust. The main sections are smaller than the factory pipe, but with my mods should be just right considering there are now two. The mufflers are straight thru wrapped core from an old street bike setup.

TacomaNC4X4
12-13-2005, 09:22 PM
i got a friend who put a muzzy sportbike silencer on his warrior. it sticks out like a ft. and its extreamly loud

250ex>Civic
12-14-2005, 06:32 PM
I know this is a little old, but that exhaust looks cool. THe problem with making your own exhausts is that the exhausts are TUNED to each specific quad as they test many different designs and dimension on a DYNO, unless you do that and take some serious time in tuning, you are just wasting time. Quads are very sensitive to pipe diameter and dimensions as it must have a particular combination between backpressure and outward flow without the proper balance, its useless.

In blue450yos case, you will probably get a boost in high end, but no low end torque because manufacturers will use computers to get the most out of the engine and look for an even gain through the powerband. Oh and most people cant mandrel bend pipes or ceramic coat them like my T4 is and without that you will never even come close to the power of a quality pipe, and my pipe was entirely worth the 400...easily.

12-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 250ex>Civic
I know this is a little old, but that exhaust looks cool. THe problem with making your own exhausts is that the exhausts are TUNED to each specific quad as they test many different designs and dimension on a DYNO, unless you do that and take some serious time in tuning, you are just wasting time. Quads are very sensitive to pipe diameter and dimensions as it must have a particular combination between backpressure and outward flow without the proper balance, its useless.

In blue450yos case, you will probably get a boost in high end, but no low end torque because manufacturers will use computers to get the most out of the engine and look for an even gain through the powerband. Oh and most people cant mandrel bend pipes or ceramic coat them like my T4 is and without that you will never even come close to the power of a quality pipe, and my pipe was entirely worth the 400...easily.

yep my pipe i made gives me mostly all top end but i still have ok botom end. when i turn my stocker in to a shorty ill have good bottom end though.

LS@GtThunder
12-15-2005, 03:48 AM
This is a great thread - I have been in your shoes - asking questions and getting very wrong answers (are there differant levels of wrong?) - trying things that cost a lot of time and money that didnt work (yes pickup loads of trash have left my place) trying every little so called trade secret that the old guys had to offer. And best of all - finally after a lot of time and development building one good part and having some kid stand there and tell what all you did wrong when his idea or trying something new is to install the latest sparkplug from Splitfire.

If you are afraid of failure - dont try it.

If you have the persistance to build 10 differant ones and admit that none of them worked to well - then spend the time to find out why - and finally get on the right track and build one that works - go for it.

There are only 2 kinds of people - those who watch things happen and those who make things happen - now go weld some pipes together learn to laugh at yourself and have some fun.

roadthrills
12-15-2005, 08:49 AM
It's not really that hard if you're good at math and willing to do quite a bit of it before you start. It also helps if you are familiar with the way an engine operates and it's certain power characteristics. Research exhaust design and such on the internet or at the library and you can build your own exhaust and tune it the way you want. I have built tuned pipes for 2-strokes and four strokes and once you know the basics you can figure the rest with numbers on paper. It's a lot of fun. And you don't need a mandrel bender, only a welder and a cutting tool. Find the right diameter pipe at your local cycle salvage and cut the bends out of it. Mine started out as a factory 4 into 1 Katana 600 pipe, because it happened to be the diameter I was looking for.

250ex>Civic
12-15-2005, 12:01 PM
But a mandrel bent pipe will always flow more than a cut and welded pipe no matter how nasty you are at welding, that is why all good aftermarket exhausts from cars to bikes have mandrel bent piping. Mandrel bent only means they are smooth bent and that the pipe diameter is maintained throughout the bend.

After you do a couple pipes you could probably figure out what combinations work and make pipes like jesse james does.

Either way good luck with your pipes I hope they work out well, if not go buy a sweet premade one.

QuadRacr57
12-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Here is a drawing i sketched on my CAD program, and i have thought about this for a while. I have metal working skills and the tools to do it, im just waiting for the materials. I plan to use this core, http://rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=4296&navTitle=Exhaust&webCatId=18&webTypeId=51&navType=type , and weld it on to the end cap. Im making the both end caps out of 14 gauge sheetmetal, and using aluminum pipe for the inlet and exhaust tubes. Let me know what you think. Oh and i plan to wrap packing material around the core to fit in the 4" diameter can. If you can't read the drawing, the inlet pipe is 2" diameter, the can is 12" long, and the Outlet pipe is 2.5" diameter.

wilkin250r
12-15-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by LS@GtThunder
This is a great thread - I have been in your shoes - asking questions and getting very wrong answers (are there differant levels of wrong?) - trying things that cost a lot of time and money that didnt work (yes pickup loads of trash have left my place) trying every little so called trade secret that the old guys had to offer. And best of all - finally after a lot of time and development building one good part and having some kid stand there and tell what all you did wrong when his idea or trying something new is to install the latest sparkplug from Splitfire.

If you have the persistance to build 10 differant ones and admit that none of them worked to well - then spend the time to find out why - and finally get on the right track and build one that works - go for it.

There are only 2 kinds of people - those who watch things happen and those who make things happen - now go weld some pipes together learn to laugh at yourself and have some fun.

Laz, are you talking about your experience building pipes, or your experience with modifications in general?

If you've done the pipe thing, can you share some of the lessons you've learned? I've never attempted pipe design, but I'd be interested in some of the challenges and pitfalls, especially the details that relate to the actual design of the pipe.

LS@GtThunder
12-16-2005, 03:03 AM
I am talking about pipes, but the same could apply to almost anything I do.

2-stroke pipe design - I have a complete file drawer and 10,000+ dyno runs in 2 stroke pipe design. I built pipes off every 2 stroke pipe formulae in print, from Jennings to Robinson, to Blaire and much more, I used most of Blaire’s computer simulators to try and help understand it better as well as the simulators from - Hmm cant even remember all there names - one is from Australia and one was from Curt Leverton who founded Hotrods.

4-Stroke pipe design - I found it almost boring in comparison because of the limited ability I had to get the cam profiles that I wanted - today that has changed - I can now design the profile I want - have good heads to work with on these modern engine - and wow - this exhaust thing is a blast again. I designed one a few months ago for a customer that had a special need and contacted several exhaust companies to build it. They all said the could but it would come down to one detail or other that they wanted to change so they could use off the shelf parts that they had to fabricate it - no go - I ended up after 3 months hand building it. Now that 4 stroke exhausts are fun again - I don’t have the time to work with them.

Empirical data and careful calculation can get you 80% of the potential in an exhaust, another 10% can be found in careful engine analysis using simulators - the last additional power is still found on the Dyno and at the track with tons of testing and very close attention to detail, and close attention to detail by the fabricator.

Originally posted by wilkin250r
Laz, are you talking about your experience building pipes, or your experience with modifications in general?

If you've done the pipe thing, can you share some of the lessons you've learned? I've never attempted pipe design, but I'd be interested in some of the challenges and pitfalls, especially the details that relate to the actual design of the pipe.

roadthrills
12-16-2005, 06:40 AM
Empirical data and careful calculation can get you 80% of the potential in an exhaust, another 10% can be found in careful engine analysis using simulators - the last additional power is still found on the Dyno and at the track with tons of testing and very close attention to detail, and close attention to detail by the fabricator. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree 100%:)

ZeroLogic
12-16-2005, 08:44 AM
that dual exaust must be fun to get in the frame:p

roadthrills
12-16-2005, 02:30 PM
That's why I made those slip joints even with the exhaust outlet. It fits right in.

wilkin250r
12-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Empirical data and careful calculation can get you 80% of the potential in an exhaust, another 10% can be found in careful engine analysis using simulators - the last additional power is still found on the Dyno and at the track with tons of testing and very close attention to detail, and close attention to detail by the fabricator.

Ain't that the truth. 90% of the power takes 90% of the time. The last 10% of the power takes the other 90% of the time. :p

2muchquad
12-16-2005, 07:11 PM
yes wilkin but thats the fun of it.a sense of satisfaction when one does something himself(or herself):) .i do agree there is only one way to learn,DO IT! people that have never f*#Ked anything up have never done anything.im gonna do a custom exhaust for my big bore 300ex.with the 86mm piston,i think even the aftermarket exhaust headpipe will be too restrictive for decent topend.would work for a utility quad though:D

yokeracer
01-22-2006, 06:36 AM

I couldn't have said it better myself.
If I think that I'm on the right track on something, I don't give up till I'm finished. I'm a diehard RC car guy, and tried many, many, many things. Some bad, some good.:D

Ridin' Jesse
01-22-2006, 08:22 AM
I'm suprised nobody put up the Foldgers exhaust haha. If anyone knows what im taking about.

yokeracer
01-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Ridin' Jesse
I'm suprised nobody put up the Foldgers exhaust haha. If anyone knows what im taking about.

yeah, the lil too fast too furious exhausts:D

ZeroLogic
01-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Oldschool.:bandit:

kfxriderirv
01-23-2006, 01:17 PM
cut my stock pipe down in half an it sounds ok not really any thing great but it looks pretty cool

01-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Oldschool.:bandit:

hows that work? isnt that set up flowing to much air?

ZeroLogic
01-24-2006, 02:10 PM
I don't think it was made to actually run on a quad but more of a look thing.

pastfast125
01-25-2006, 01:46 PM
it's a joke, ricer cars use " Coffee can mufflers" now, you gotta throw that thing on there, and go civic huntin!:devil:

jlsmith37804
01-26-2006, 04:46 PM
guys,
I have made several exhausts for bikes using JC Whitney mandrel bent exhaust tubing. I made one for my sons XR200, an old XL350, an XT500, and tipped them with a flea market universal Super Trapp. Total price around $50. I am making an X-Pipe now for my XS650 street tracker. The universal mufflers available in chrome would look and perform well also.

Check out the exhaust port size of your motor, and see what pipe makes sense. One exhaust flange, one U-bend, two 45's and I was there. You need welding skills and some common sense. One way to mock up the pipe and visualize what you need is to use the water pipe insulation you can buy at Home Depot, and route it to suit. If you have a buddies pipe to copy dimensions, the fab route is the way to go.

The pipe makers put a lot of voodoo to it, cuz guys looking for shiny baubles, speed and noise will spend sky high bucks, so they charge mega prices. Witness this forums' many questions on "how fast will it go" or "how much HP will it have" if I do this. This isn't lost on the pipe makers.

If you have a welder, grinding tools, and a hacksaw, and don't need chrome to make your sticker peck out, build it yourself. Just my 2 cents.

Bound4Dirt
01-26-2006, 08:45 PM

how did u do it

is it worth it

The other's are right. I sell the import quads and we tried it and the quad LOST power. Stick with the pro's! IMHO

01-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Ain't that the truth. 90% of the power takes 90% of the time. The last 10% of the power takes the other 90% of the time. :p

think u ment 90% power takes 10% time. last 10% power takes 90% time..

01-30-2006, 10:23 AM
if u do to atv connection i have pics of my home mad muffler. im getdrunk on that site and click on my camera thing to see the pics.

cdaleman440
01-30-2006, 11:26 AM
has anyone made a 2 stroke home made pipe?

01-30-2006, 11:51 AM
I guess back in the day, for a high performance 2 stroke pipe you had to make one yourself.

cdaleman440
01-30-2006, 01:31 PM
welll me and my buddy need to make one for a mojave frame with a tecate 3 motor in it any suggestions

Thanks ,Austin

01-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I have no idear what that means... but If u are trying to make a 2 stroke pipe, start w/ a pipe and modify it so it fits. I guess...

roadthrills
01-30-2006, 03:23 PM
I guess that would make it a 3 stroke??

UOTE]Originally posted by cdaleman440
welll me and my buddy need to make one for a mojave frame with a tecate 3 motor in it any suggestions

Thanks ,Austin [/QUOTE]

zeppelin
01-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by roadthrills
I guess that would make it a 3 stroke??

UOTE]Originally posted by cdaleman440

Thanks ,Austin [/QUOTE]
im not sure if this is a joke or not, but incase it isnt just to let you know the tecate three is called that because it is a three wheeler, and yes it is possible to make your wn pipe, just not practical, i suggest just getting a pipe from anpther bike and try bending it to make it fit be cause when you make your own pipe there is a good chance you willl have lots of leaks, and the performance will not be even close to hat of the aftermarkets that have tons of hours of tuning put into the to get the max hp from them

01-31-2006, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by cdaleman440
has anyone made a 2 stroke home made pipe?

i did for my pocket bike.

roadthrills
01-31-2006, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by zeppelin

im not sure if this is a joke or not, but incase it isnt just to let you know the tecate three is called that because it is a three wheeler, and yes it is possible to make your wn pipe, just not practical, i suggest just getting a pipe from anpther bike and try bending it to make it fit be cause when you make your own pipe there is a good chance you willl have lots of leaks, and the performance will not be even close to hat of the aftermarkets that have tons of hours of tuning put into the to get the max hp from them [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, that was a joke. In fact I just got rid of my '85 KXT250A2 original red machine, last summer. I've been riding for 20 years. That's longer than most on this site have lived!!:eek2: