PDA

View Full Version : question about axle install...

Glamis400ex
06-17-2002, 09:24 PM
Hi guys,

Im right in the middle of installing my new LSR. The trouble is, now that I have the axle thru the carrier, I don't have enough splines exposed to put on the threaded collar, where the new locknut goes. I tried pulling from the right side, but it just keeps pulling back.

Also, is there supposed to be any gap between the brake/rotor assembly and the carrier or should it be real snug? I have 1/4 inch gap there, I dont remember how it was before I tore it apart.

Sorry if these are really elementary questions, but Im just a little confused.

Thanks,

Glamis

QuadRacer041
06-18-2002, 03:58 AM
first thing i would do is try putting a hub on and make sure you dont have an axle for an R. the 400 hub is smaller and wont fit on an r axle, the reason being i think thr R uses a more narrow locking collar thus the slines are as long as the 400 axle.
if the hub fits then i think your axle is good.sometimes that happens with the axle wanting to slide back out, try have some one hold if in place for you while you put the lock nut on,if you put some muscle into it you should be able to get it.

Glamis400ex
06-18-2002, 06:34 AM
Quad041,

Thanks for your input,

I do have the brake/rotor assembly on, but not snugged. I also checked to see if I had the right axle and it is stamped "400ex" where it sits in between the bearings in the carrier.

I'm waiting on the treaded collar from my local cycle dealer because I damaged it removing the stock locknuts....should be here today or tomorrow.

I'll just have to try to figure it out when it comes....

Thx,
Glamis

QuadRacer041
06-18-2002, 03:40 PM
no prob, let me know how yea make out.

Razorback
06-18-2002, 03:49 PM
glamis - you will really have to pull and turn on that axle to get it far enough into the carrier to get your axle nut and collar on. i had a heck of a time with mine, but finally got it on fine. just be patient with it. if someone can help, that would be great. i did mine by myself, so it took me a little longer

the problem is the sprocket hub and rotor hub have a very snug fit to the carrier, so you have to work it a little to get it in nice and tight. good luck...

Quadfather
06-18-2002, 09:20 PM
Ditto on Razorbacks comments. I installed mine by myself. Mine had/has a 1/4" gap between the rotor and carrier. I was worried about it, but when I bolted on the caliper, it was right where it needed to be.

Once you get the threaded collar and snap ring on, tighten the lock nuts, and everything will seat where it should.