PDA

View Full Version : quick mods to a 05 450R

trx450Rdude
10-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Just brought home a brand new 05 450R.
1. What are some quick mods I can do now to icrease power?
2. What should be my first purchase for aftermarket parts?

Not trying to get to crazy but my boy has a 04 YFZ with at least a pipe and maybe some work done to the air filter and I can't let him smoke me.

DirtDevilBT
10-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Jet Kit
Pipe
Airbox lid removed unless HRC is purchased
Filter
Cam (CRF, HCS2, HRC)

Then high comp piston
Portwork
Rear shock and linkage
Front shocks and maybe a-arms

In that order pretty much. And get a full system exhaust.

Smoker
10-22-2005, 01:14 AM
The pipe, air filter, and getting it jetted make a significant differene. I don't feel the bike runs or sounds properly until you do this, even more so than my 400ex. There's a full Trinity system for $200 in the for sale section.

MAD450r
10-22-2005, 09:51 AM
I find that getting suspension setup first will make you faster. Then more power will be usefull. I did suspeson first on my 416, then wanted motor work. I picked up my 450r with hrc installed and I had ordered a sparks pipe nad filter for it. Then I found it hard to ride hard since it was so tipsy till I widened and lowered it.

If you want to drag race then I guess motor work can come first, but if you want ot race him on a track suspension will help more than any motor work. IMO

Smoker
10-22-2005, 10:08 AM
I also believe in suspension work before a lot of things, like bling the quad out and have stock suspension. I feel to better enjoy riding it in stock trim until you can get the big money for suspension work, a $200 slip on, $50 filter and the little bit of money spent for the jetting, that it will give you a true sense of what the bike is capable of and make you want to see what it'll do once the suspension upgrades become an option. Just my opinion, I see where you coming from on the boinger upgrades but like I said before, in my opinion the bike doesn't run right until you pipe it, the bottom never seemed to pull right until I piped it. That's me though, good luck in figuring out what you want to do. :p

trx450Rdude
10-22-2005, 02:58 PM
As far as suspension what would you sugest to do first?

Smoker
10-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Get your stock shocks revalve and respung, with the zps rebuild it improves handling quite a bit. Getting a new rear linkage will help the bucking problem. Derisis, Gt Thunder, C&D, TCS they all offer semi-economical solutions, very good performance for the money, as opposed to buying aftermarket shocks.