PDA

View Full Version : raptor oil change help

reed13
10-21-2005, 07:52 PM
i was going to change the oil on my 2003 raptor this weekend that i have just bought from a friend and have rode it a few weekends so figured its time for an oil change. to change the oil filter do u have to tip the quad on its side? also how many quarts or oil does it hold. ive lost my manual. if anyone could give me some help it would be awsome

10-25-2005, 09:46 AM
u dont nead to tip it on its side. n its alittle less that 2 quorts.

cjkranz
10-25-2005, 10:31 AM
First off, on the amount, go to www.yamaha.com and look up the manual. It will tell you the exact amount. There are a few tricks to the oil change though.

1. You don't have to tip it on its side, but it seems to make it much easier and cleaner. Use a floor jack, works great and you can do it by yourself.

2. Make sure you take the bottom skid pan off. This will make it much easier to change, and cleaner.

3. The oil needs to be drained out of the motor AND the reserve tank.

4. The oil goes back in the Reserve tank only. you CAN'T get all of the oil in the reserve tank at once. The oil won't drain into the case. The motor has to be started and "sucked" into the motor. Usually you can get approx 2/3 of the overall amount of oil in the tank, run the quad for approx 15-30 seconds, then put the rest of the oil in the tank.

5. Put in the recommended amount (exactly) then run the bike for awhile. Don't check the dipstick right away. It won't show accuratly, and then you will add more, which will make it TOO full.

I have learned all of this from experience (mistakes). I also have a couple of specific funnels I use (for draining out the reserve tank, and adding the oil. This makes it much easier and cleaner.

I hope this helps..jk

tater_kamik
10-25-2005, 11:13 AM
this may be worthy for the FAQ section... good info cjkranz!

cjkranz
10-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Can you tell I've changed the oil in a Raptor very much??