PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Adjustment?

WORCSYFZ199
10-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Hey I just put a new DP clutch kit (clutch plates and springs) in my 04 yfz and I'm not sure how to adjust it to work right because now the cable is loose and it feels like I have no clutch pull, do I move the little arm thing on the engine to adjust it or what should I do? (I tried the adjustment at the lever and the one in the cable but it's still really loose) Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated

daddio
10-21-2005, 10:13 PM
It kind of sounds like mabey the ball fell out, that is between the push rod and the and the thrust bearing holder, or mabey when you put the pressure plate back on, it is not seated all the way down. These are little things that I have overseen in my clutch maintainence.
One more thing.... are the plates that came in the DP clutch kit the same thickness as stock? I've heard of some people getting the YZ disks by mistake. They are a little thinner to allow for an aditional friction disk.
FYI.... Rekluse has done some extensive testing with different clutch disks, and on the YFZ, they get the best performance from using all 8 "big" oem yamaha disks, and removing the smaller one along with the conical washer and flat washer, that are the first items in the clutch assy.
Good Luck.

daddy
10-22-2005, 08:52 PM
yeah It's weird I pulled the cover back off and looked at it and it seems like I should have another plate becuase it seems to have way to much clearence, I don't know what to do about it though?

daddio
10-23-2005, 06:59 PM
do you have a micrometer or calipers to measure your old steel plates and compare the measurement to the DP ones? It sounds like you got the dirt bike ones, as they are thinner.

If your old steel plates aren't warped, you could just use them. Just lay a piece of 300 - 400 gritt sand paper on something flat (I use a piece of granite, but thick glass works too) and scuff the disks in a circular motion. I very seldom replace the metal plates unless Reed gets the clutch way hot, and I only had that happen once.