View Full Version : Twisty or Thumb Throttle????

igmif
10-21-2005, 07:22 PM
So which do you guys prefer, and why???
I'm a thumb rider. However, twice now this year I've jammed my throttle thumb bad enough that I have to lay off the quad for a few weeks to heal up. It sucks!!! So I've been wondering if a twisty is worth it.

TheFontMaster
10-21-2005, 07:43 PM
It's all personal preference. Me, I like a twist throttle better, but I also learned on a quad with a twist, so thats what I got used to. Find someone with a twist and see how you like it before you go out and buy one. But it will take you a little while to get used to the twist throtle, you have to learn to ride it a little different. Alot of times if your not used to it, if you hit a bump right, or land a jump wrong, you will jam on the throttle, and that could cause trouble.

igmif
10-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
... it will take you a little while to get used to the twist throtle, you have to learn to ride it a little different. Alot of times if your not used to it, if you hit a bump right, or land a jump wrong, you will jam on the throttle, and that could cause trouble.
A friend of mine has a Quadzilla(adrenalin machine!!!!)with a twist. Every time I ride it, I feel like I'm holding on with one hand. I'm just sick of jamming my thumb. I need an alternative.

TheFontMaster
10-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by igmif
A friend of mine has a Quadzilla(adrenalin machine!!!!)with a twist. Every time I ride it, I feel like I'm holding on with one hand. I'm just sick of jamming my thumb. I need an alternative.

Well I wouldn't sugest learning a twist on the most powerfull production quad ever.:eek2:

RRP
10-22-2005, 05:01 AM
I converted my quad to twist breifly.I prefer the thumb throttle.I feel I have better control of the bars with it.

BLACKeR
10-22-2005, 08:39 AM
i prefer twist myself, however you have to ride agressivly if you have one. you cant be sitting down and gassing it lazily. you always need to be in the "attack stance" i think im faster cornering with the twister. i can come into the corner and brake hard and get on the gas right away, even as im still feathering the brakes. with the thumb i dont like the lask of control i get by not having my thumb on the grip. they do take a little getting used to though.but ive had twisters on all my bikes for a long time. if you ride agressivly, and are used to pinching the side of the bike with your legs, and riding in the attack stance, a twister wont be that hard to get used to. ive ridden some scarry powerful bikes with a twister its not a problem controling the throttle

400ex28
10-22-2005, 10:08 AM
I like both, i can ride the thumb or the twist... donsnt really matter to me :)

Mxjunkie
10-22-2005, 10:32 AM
I pefer twist throttle for many reasons. I have more control with a twist then a thumb and I feel safer holding on to the whole bar. Thumb has allways bothered me and felt weird I dont like it at all.

Most people give twist a bad rep because they try and go out and ride like they allways did, you cant do that. You have to put around for atleast a day and get the hang of it, once you do that its so much better then thumb!

<DRS>GPF
10-23-2005, 08:56 AM
having used twist throttles for years on bikes, i prefer a thumb throttle..
sounds bassackwards huh..

perhaps on a track a twist is OK, but for tough terrain you need to be hanging on and you cant do it as well..

ive been on hillsides needing to back out of "the coals" but couldnt because it meant releasing the grip on the bars..

IMO thumb is better for woods/aggressive riding.. twist is great for for street and track.. not much else..