PDA

View Full Version : Fouled?!?!

400exrules
10-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I put in a brand new spark plug yesterday before i broke in my cam, and i broke it in, and my exhaust was poppin when i would let off the throttle, so i figured it was lean. But i just took out the spark plug because im gonna adjust the valves and check the plug. And the whole tip is just jet black. What does this mean? hows my jetting? do i need a new plug?
plz help if you can

It looks like the one in the middle column at the top, under dry wet fouling

AZblaster44
10-21-2005, 06:20 PM
means your runing rich, wich would also cause it to pop:)

AtvMxRider
10-21-2005, 06:22 PM
black means it is rich. You could also have a exhaust leak causing the pop.

400exrules
10-21-2005, 09:58 PM
how did that happen, cuz i took my old plug out (before the cam) and it was in the normal condition...just like the picture, the tip was goldish brown. But i put a cam(which you would think might lean it out some)....but it makes me richer....:huh :huh

this was with the lid on and a dirty air filter. could that be the cause? cuz i always run with a clean filter and no lid, but i didnt have time to clean the filter, plus i ran outta cleaner.

some people say it pops when your lean, some say it pops when ur rich. I think it means im rich, i dont see how it could mean your lean..since the popping is the burning of extra gas

and can i still use this plug?

phildogg
10-22-2005, 07:13 AM
with the lid on and a dirty filter would def. make it run richer. I would buy a new plug.
phil

10-22-2005, 03:06 PM
rich or needs a rebuild

Toadz400
10-23-2005, 09:22 AM
Clean off your air filter and take your lid back off. Should fix your problem, as long as your jetting is set up for the lid off.

tater_kamik
10-23-2005, 10:05 AM
throw in a new plug, and run it how you normally do (with the air box cover off and clean filter) then after a while of running it (a few rides maybe) see how it looks then change your jetting if needed