PDA

View Full Version : 06 450r

middleman102002
10-21-2005, 11:49 AM
ok i have a couple of questions about the 06 450r i just got mine

first of all i had an 04 450r that was stolen and i dont rember it ever having as much engine noise as the 06 also the 06 seems to not idle very well and quits alot

also it sounds like its knocking when i am in the wrong gear so i switched from pump gas to a mix of pump and race and still knocks i asked the tech who assembled my quad and he told me that was normal but it worries me

maybe these are all normal things but im the only one in my town with an 06 and i have the first one the dealership got in and im just paranoid

also when i took out the baffles for a little while it seemed to run 3000000 times better idleing and not knocking maybe honda just has them so stuffed up they run like crap

10-21-2005, 12:45 PM
it will idle n start better after a tank of gas

Check ur chain n make sure its tight.

The engine is louder n it vibrates a lot more.

They need to breathe.. im getting a pipe for mine christmas

QuadRacer041
10-21-2005, 01:33 PM
if you search alittle about 06's youll see that all of these things your questioning have already been discussed.
yes all the things you mentioned are normal for the 06 it seems. my 06 is rather loud but so if my crf hybrid.seems to be normal from what everyone says.the idle on my 06 seemed low and it wanted to stall on decell, just raise the idle some and it will be fine.

xx3003xrdrxx
10-21-2005, 01:41 PM
i rode one and they stall SO easy , in my oppinion the idle needs to be turned up . it stalled when i had the clutch pulled in and was in 2 gear deaccelerating!

Lonestar_R
10-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Mine Knocks also......Turn the idle up and it will run way better...I did nothing but that and it ran alot better...tomorrow I am going to play with it cause it is very lean from the factory....and I am also gonna put some good gas in it.....I don't believe my dealer put 91 or above octane in it....so that may be part of my problem with the leaness

10-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by xx3003xrdrxx
i rode one and they stall SO easy , in my oppinion the idle needs to be turned up . it stalled when i had the clutch pulled in and was in 2 gear deaccelerating!

U just arent used to the clutch.. damn u stalled it a lot lol

Lonestar_R
10-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Mine stalled very easy.....I mean very easy.....the thing hardly idles.....you had to ride it like a 2 stroke with the idle being so low.....mine isn't the same machine now......after I get her dialed in it will be alot better.....

10-21-2005, 04:00 PM
i stalled mine twice before i even moved then a couple more times riding it around

the next day i took it easy till i got used to everything n i never stall it

xx3003xrdrxx
10-21-2005, 09:25 PM
i love you dan:uhoh:

Airik79mx
10-22-2005, 06:03 AM
It's filled with 87 octane when you bring it home so it might not run the way it should untill you get some better fuel in it.

Jersey450R
10-22-2005, 06:48 AM
geeze, i'm liking my 05' more and more with every 06' thread that keeps popping up :ermm:

4ABURN
10-22-2005, 08:03 AM
when ever a trx rider heard my crf run they thought that my rode was going to come out the side,but soon as i hit the gas,they knew that there was nothing wrong. all normal the 06 is a higher output motor,and with 12 to one piston,and the thin castings,you will here alot of noise,don't worry, just crank up the idle my crf idles at 2000 rpm to make it idle right.

The 2006 is getting very close the the bike motor,and that is a good think :D

10-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Airik79mx
It's filled with 87 octane when you bring it home so it might not run the way it should untill you get some better fuel in it.

I hope they didnt put 87 in mine! I hate dealerships! They probly did it so it would mess up my engine n i had to bring it back to them!

Airik79mx
10-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Honda MaNiAc 01
I hope they didnt put 87 in mine! I hate dealerships! They probly did it so it would mess up my engine n i had to bring it back to them!

They do it because it save's them alot of money. If they sell alot of unit's a year think about how many gallons of gas that is. They use cheap gas a cheap 'bulk' oil.

eagertorace
10-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Honda MaNiAc 01
it will idle n start better after a tank of gas

Check ur chain n make sure its tight.

The engine is louder n it vibrates a lot more.

They need to breathe.. im getting a pipe for mine christmas

I had to adjust my idle and chain too.
Also added 93 octane fuel in it.
I could tell there's alot of power potential in this motor:eek2:

10-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by eagertorace
I had to adjust my idle and chain too.
Also added 93 octane fuel in it.
I could tell there's alot of power potential in this motor:eek2:

yes it does.. engine needs to breathe though ;)

Jonas
10-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Airik79mx

You guys kill me. It is very unlikely that the dealership puts 87 in their machines when they all require 90+. It sounds like a dam witch hunt over nothing.

Get on the quad, pin the *uckin throttle like a man and use your clutch to release that power and you will realize what your missing out on.

People on these forums want Honda or Yamaha to build them a race quad that rips and they get on it like it's a 250ex. You don't here Tim Farr's quad idling when you see him ride.

Sorry, I'm not usually such a flamer;)

Airik79mx
10-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
You guys kill me. It is very unlikely that the dealership puts 87 in their machines when they all require 90+. It sounds like a dam witch hunt over nothing.

Get on the quad, pin the *uckin throttle like a man and use your clutch to release that power and you will realize what your missing out on.

People on these forums want Honda or Yamaha to build them a race quad that rips and they get on it like it's a 250ex. You don't here Tim Farr's quad idling when you see him ride.

Sorry, I'm not usually such a flamer;)

Yes they do put 87 in them, I would know.

remmyTRX
10-25-2005, 08:12 AM
They put 87 in mine - no doubt - the first thing I did was siphon that crap out!

Transplant2
10-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Mine had 92 and was filled to the top. I verified before I left. Ran perfect!

RedRacer44
10-25-2005, 02:28 PM
I broke mine in with a mix of 93 octane and TrackTek 111 race gas. Ran great! I'm running 93 octane for now but will probably run a 50/50 mix of race/pump at the MX races.

On stalling, just turn the idle up a bit...it'll be fine. You could also go ahead n' pull the baffle, remove the lid, and jet up to about 165 or 170 if ya cant get your hands on an aftermarket exhaust yet. Mine runs a lot smoother, doesnt stall hardly, and starts much easier after opening this beast up a bit with the full Sparks exhaust, jetting, and no lid :D Keep in mind the jetting is different w/ the FCR than the carb on the 04/05 TRX, your main jet size will be smaller (165-175 range more than likely). Not sure on the needle adjustment or the pilot but i'd guess 45 or 48 on the pilot which will smooth out the idle and starting a lot more.

The motor is VERY close to the CRF, we found that out after tearing one apart to build into full blown race motor. They do make a lot of engine noise but thats just part of it. CRF hybrid quads are the same way, I've been around quite a few of them. Just break 'em in right and then just ride it! It'll fine.

Also, you can cut a wire on your CDI to achieve 10,850 RPMs....just like the wire module you get in the HRC kit that gives you the same effect.....

This motor is awesome.....so much power potential :devil:

10-25-2005, 02:35 PM
my stealership wouldn't put gas in mine when I bought it, i was furious. as I walked outside one of the guys who works in service and parts told me they only use "****1y gas". I believed him so I just went to a gas station and broke her in with 93. i wanted the best for my baby

QuadRacer041
10-25-2005, 03:31 PM
not really anything to do with the fuel thing but....i think i remember someone saying that they put one of those quick ajustable fuel mixture screws on there 06, i just want to know if it will clear the starter.i bought one but havent installed it yet, looks like its gonna be real close.

TRX450R2
10-25-2005, 09:06 PM
We have 91 and 96 here, I think i'll be runnin 96

Trxracer53
10-27-2005, 11:44 AM
The engine noise is normal. I have a 05 honda and my dad has an 05 yfz and they both have that ticking noise. I think the titanium valves are to blame and the high compression. The high performance engines werent meant to be bogged like other four strokes it worried my too and i got used to it. My honda has the steel valves and it doesnt do it as much as the titaniumed valve yfz.

eagertorace
10-27-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm taking mine to the dealer tomorrow to get the air/fuel screw adjusted, I think it's on the lean side a little.
was going to purchase one of those tools but there are way too expensive for me:eek2:
going riding Sunday and I want it tuned just right, anyone know when those exhausts will be ready? (Sparks)?

remmyTRX
10-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Middleman, tell me - what tools did you use to pull the baffle?

I pulled and twisted - was unable to pull the baffle from the spark arrester.

My 06 is definitely lean also. Is this considered a warranty issue if I was to take it back to the dealership for an adjustment?

Transplant2
10-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Make sure you unscrew the torx screws and then it should be obvious. There is just some epoxy holding it on behind the endcap.

TRX450R2
10-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Hey Transplant2, is the hrc cam the same as the 04-05 hrc cam? I have a new 06 coming soon and need to know if i can fit it 2 my new bike??

Transplant2
10-28-2005, 04:48 PM
No...they are very different. I think the 04/05 has more lift. You would have to do a clearance check to make sure the valves wouldn't hit the new 12:1 piston. But I am no expert. Just buy the 06 kit...the header and cam are worth it alone!

TRX450R2
10-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Cheers for that, understood!