PDA

View Full Version : 2 easy questions

Sturmgiest
10-21-2005, 06:06 AM
1) where do you read the color on the plug? on the end where the spark gap is, or on the ceramic part?

2) what is a good way to test for exhuast leaks? cant use the soap and spray bottle with the pipe glowing red :)

daddio
10-21-2005, 10:08 AM
you read the color of the ceramic area. Use a magnafying glass and look for "little balls" stuck to the base of the ceramic area. This is a sign of detonation, and most people miss that.

on a four stroke the best way to test for exhaust leaks that I found, is to clean the pipe real good, start the motor and run it for 5-10 min. if you can't see or feel and obvious leak, tur the bike off and look closely for little black lines. (exhaust pushing thru the crack).

Sturmgiest
10-22-2005, 06:38 AM
thanks i'll try those things out next day i have off

another question, how many of you are running a smaller leak down jet when you're rejetting i've gone from a 175 main all the way down to a 162 main trying every jet in between and it's still cutting out at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle

by the way i have a 45 pilot, NCVQ on 4th clip, with a drd full exhuast prodesign-foam kit at about 3000' above sea in dry desert

sampleez
10-22-2005, 07:54 PM
i put a #35 leak jet in mine, and it seems like it helped some. i've been wanting to try filling the stock one with jb weld and see if it works better.

the only time mine will still bog is if it's just sitting there idiling and i stab the throttle. it never bogs when i'm riding now

Sturmgiest
10-23-2005, 08:45 AM
is there any draw backs from going to on the leak down jet, it's function to te releave back presure right?

daddio
10-23-2005, 06:52 PM
sturmgiest. it sounds like you need to drop your clip down a notch. I haven't touched my leak jet. I opted for the boysen quick shot, instead. The leak jet or quickshot determines how much fuel the acelerator pump squirts in the intake. It has nothing to do with 1/2 -3/4 throttle, unless you are talking about riding at 1/2 throttle then stabbing it to 3/4.

Sturmgiest
10-24-2005, 06:35 AM
no it's not when i stab it i'm doing a slow pull and it's cutting out before i'm hitting full speed around 3/4 throttle, anyhow by dropped a clip on the needle you mean leaner or richer?

any help would be great

daddio
10-24-2005, 06:43 AM
richer. But just test it, and if that makes it worse, go the other way.
The leak jet has nothing to do with what your describing.

Sturmgiest
10-24-2005, 06:47 AM
thanks that helps

by the way i feel stupid but could this be a fouled plug syptom? i forgot to clean it

daddio
10-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Sturmgiest
thanks that helps

by the way i feel stupid but could this be a fouled plug syptom? i forgot to clean it

I don't think so. A fouled plug will mess up the whole range.

Shocka400ex
11-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Sturmgiest
thanks that helps

Sounds to me you might have a stator problem??? I'm on my second one.

Sturmgiest
11-02-2005, 07:58 PM
great how much are new stators?