PDA

View Full Version : 8" or 10" Rims for MX

440EXR
06-17-2002, 07:55 PM
Im thinking of buying some Itp holeshot mx tires and noticed that they have a 18X11X10 rear Has anyone run this size does it have any advantages over the 18X11X8 size which size would you guys suggest for Mx racing

400exRacerX
06-17-2002, 08:00 PM
I cant remember which atv mag I read with a hole review of mx tire and rim combo's from 8,9,to 10 inch rims. Can someone help me out? But anyways I run the 8 inch rims on 18 inch tamers. They say the advantage of running a 10 inch rim is less tire roll in the corners. But the bad thing is, its a harsh ride.

Razorback
06-17-2002, 08:14 PM
yep, 400exRacerX is right about the 10 inch having less tire roll, but the ride is apparently pretty rough and landing from jumps is not so good either. i've got some of the new 9 inch holeshot mx's and i like them a lot. it seems to be a good mix between the 8 and 10. the only problem is you can only get holeshot mx right now in 9 inch. hopefully, turf tamers will come out soon in that size.

440EXR
06-17-2002, 09:12 PM
Thats what I thought might be the case thanks for the info guys I found the article in Dirt wheels so I think ill go with the 8" .
Razorback Do the think grooved turf tamers are betterr?

Razorback
06-18-2002, 06:47 AM
i would say yes. i've also got a set of turf tamers that i ran this past weekend in a race (8" by the way). i bought these used, but they basically have no use on them and they aren't grooved. i really liked them, but there were times when they hooked up a little too much in the hard pack, and then other times in some thick dirt when they slid all over the place. so, to make a long story short and to answer your question, i would say "yes" it is probably better in most conditions to have them grooved. i'm going to do it as soon as i get time.

Foxrage
06-18-2002, 07:33 AM
I would say go with the 9 inch. It has a little of the good not as harsh ride as 10 inch but has good turning capabilities.