PDA

View Full Version : what kind of utility?

JKWGA400EX
10-20-2005, 04:51 PM
im going to get a 4 wheeler and it has to be a utility.we will use it for driving around on the job,hauling a 16ft. trailer 2 miles one way each day and driving aroung after work.i would like a honda or yamaha nothing else and its not supposed to be electric shift, but foot shift. what would be a good one?its supposed to be able to beat a rancher.

thanks,
jared

Hon300ex
10-20-2005, 04:53 PM
the new bombardier would be ur best bet, but that quad is a lot of money.

ugottabayou
10-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Even though you want Honda or Yamaha I highly recommend taking a look at the Polaris Sportsman. I have a 500 and it is one of the best riding and most comfortable utility 4 wheelers I have ever ridden. If you need some serious towing, they have the new Sportsman 800 with Electronic Fuel Injection that will tow 1500 lbs. The 700 will also tow that much. Watch out on the tongue weight though because of the independent rear suspension. Too much will squat the back end down. But you can adjust the rear shocks or get aftermarket ones. As far as the transmission, they have a CVT transmission with high/low range and it will find the right combination for towing. Another super-tough atv Polaris has is the MV2 with steel reinforced everything, tow hooks, dual winches, dual gas tanks etc. This thing is literally a tank disguised as a quad. As far as other quads go, the Yamaha Grizzly 660 is one sweet quad.

JKWGA400EX
10-20-2005, 05:29 PM
well i still would rather get a yamaha or honda.does anybody know anything about the foremans?also r grizzlys automatics?
thanks,
Jared

ugottabayou
10-20-2005, 05:47 PM
On Yamaha's Website it does say that the Grizzly is an auto with an Ultramativ V-Belt so i don't know if that means if its a cvt type or not.

gitrdonechevy25
10-20-2005, 05:53 PM
git a brute force 750 those things are tanks:devil:

10-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I'd go for the Yamaha Grizzly. I think it has the most torque for its class i've ridden a sportsman, a kawasaki 650 and others and i can't really even compare it to them cus of how much torque it has.

4punksdad
10-20-2005, 08:17 PM

Rootar
10-20-2005, 09:52 PM
well if you jsut have to get a honda or yammy get teh foreman 500 its a foot shift, solid axle.. theyre tuff to beat

but if you are honestly jsut working with it go drive a polaris ranger we have an 05 with IRS (only the 500, they make a 500 and 700) its amazing we pull a 16ft trailer allt eh time hauling brush around our house i wish i could get a video up some how of us hooking it up to this huge tree that was laying across the road after a storm and pulling it down the road for 50 yards, in full honesty this tree was about 20 inches in diameter and about 30 feet long with brush and limbs on one end. our ranger pulled it like it was nothing. the rangers have selectable drive either high-low-neutral-reverse and it has electronic lockers front and rear you can unlock the rear diff when running on grass or anywhere you dont want to tear up teh ground and then have locked 2wd and then you can lock it in 4wd and you can haul a 1000 pounds int the bed and tow 1300 (ithink)

bigvforcer
10-21-2005, 02:17 PM
SIMPLY PUT, DON'T BUY A POLARIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRIZZLY, MOST TORQUE IN ITS CLASS, NOT UNLESS YOU SAY ITS CLASS IS THE 500 CLASS. 650 BRUTE FORCE WILL OUT PULL THE 660 GRIZZLY ANYDAY AS WILL THE 700 PRAIRIE AND FOR THAT MATTER THE 700 V-FORCE. GO KAWASAKI OR AN OLDER HONDA FOREMAN. ANYTHING ELSE IS A WAIST OF TIME AND YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

prepracing
10-22-2005, 01:27 AM
Yamaha Rhino

ZSK
10-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by bigvforcer
SIMPLY PUT, DON'T BUY A POLARIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRIZZLY, MOST TORQUE IN ITS CLASS, NOT UNLESS YOU SAY ITS CLASS IS THE 500 CLASS. 650 BRUTE FORCE WILL OUT PULL THE 660 GRIZZLY ANYDAY AS WILL THE 700 PRAIRIE AND FOR THAT MATTER THE 700 V-FORCE. GO KAWASAKI OR AN OLDER HONDA FOREMAN. ANYTHING ELSE IS A WAIST OF TIME AND YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not buy a polaris Mr. Genius?

JKWGA400EX
10-22-2005, 08:24 PM
i already got a 05 foreman 500 tm 2x4 today.

midnight
10-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by ZSK
Why not buy a polaris Mr. Genius?

uh,maybe cause they are absolute crap!!!I refuse to ride with anybody that has one cause i dont like stoping every 5seconds because of it breaking down.And yes i know this for a fact cause i HAD one(which cost me a but load of money from fixing it ALL the time),and a bunch of my other friends had them at one point and they all got rid of them for the same reason.

All i have to say jared is stay away from polaris,you will be extremely disapointed if you were to get one.go with a honda or yamaha,those are the best companys out there

stalefish_132
10-22-2005, 09:57 PM
maybe everything broke on it because you didnt know how to do regular maintenance. i have head 3 polaris's and yeah they have a few problems i admit BUT when htings go wrong i have never been stranded. and parts have been pretty cheep. as others have said a ranger would suit your needs best from you have said you would be doing with it. ifi was to go out and buy a ute i would actully get a arctic cat. they are pretty well made what ever you buy i would say stay away from yamaha just from whta i've seen happen to people.

just my 2cents :ermm:

midnight
10-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by stalefish_132
maybe everything broke on it because you didnt know how to do regular maintenance. i have head 3 polaris's and yeah they have a few problems i admit BUT when htings go wrong i have never been stranded. and parts have been pretty cheep. as others have said a ranger would suit your needs best from you have said you would be doing with it. ifi was to go out and buy a ute i would actully get a arctic cat. they are pretty well made what ever you buy i would say stay away from yamaha just from whta i've seen happen to people.

just my 2cents :ermm:
well.....i was a atv mechanic for bout 3 or 4 years,i think i know regular maintenance fella,and there still junk.arctic cat is a nice atv i gotta say,my dad got one bout a year ago and it will go through anything,a little on the heavy side but all in all a good atv

ZSK
10-23-2005, 12:06 PM
We bought our polaris brand new in 1996 as a 1997 model. New chain and sprockets and that's all that's been done to it besides maintence. We've had better luck with our polaris than I did with my 400ex. You can't go wrong with many of the new utes that are on the market today. Deside which displacement you want/need and choose the cheapest in that segment.

stalefish_132
10-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by midnight
well.....i was a atv mechanic for bout 3 or 4 years,i think i know regular maintenance fella,and there still junk.arctic cat is a nice atv i gotta say,my dad got one bout a year ago and it will go through anything,a little on the heavy side but all in all a good atv

I've met lots of mechanics that didn't even know how to properly change oil:huh. when things start breaking don't start calling the quad a pos, it might have somthing to do with the person thats riding it :rolleyes:. i have seen honda's get stuck in some little mud hole wiht one front wheel spining in the wind, then i go though is on my scrambler with near bald back tires and lower ground clearence. my friends dad is taking his kodick (kodaik) to the dealer because it doesnt have enough power to spin the tires when stuck! and look at the polaris's with primary and secondary clutching, not yamaha, honda, arctic cat, kawasaki and suzuki has that and it has been proven in snowmobiles for how many years.
dont be so negative because you broke somthing. i've broke lots of stuff on the polaris that i've had over the year but i don't blame polaris for it.
tell me if you ever find the "perfect" quad because there is allways somthing to go wrong on anything.

midnight
10-23-2005, 05:31 PM
well,aint that funny,hum,let see if all that your saying where true...dont you think that polaris would be #1 atv maker in the world,which....ah,its NOT,but hey,everybodys got there opionins,and like i heard some one say,"it wouldnt be any fun if everyone had the same quad"so,lets just leave it at that

stalefish_132
10-23-2005, 08:13 PM
when have i ever said in any post that polaris is the #1 quad? umm no where.:rolleyes:

4punksdad
10-23-2005, 09:35 PM
all of the major brands are quality products that survive more abuse then their manufacturer intended...........get what fits you best, use it don't abuse it, change the oil, keep the filters clean & it will last for years.

words of wisdom from an expert......self proclaimed.

midnight
10-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by stalefish_132
when have i ever said in any post that polaris is the #1 quad? umm no where.:rolleyes:
learn to read,i never said you said that

stalefish_132
10-23-2005, 10:31 PM
oh i know how to read just fine.
shut up and go ride your recon:blah: