PDA

View Full Version : 300ex motorwork

rollie
10-20-2005, 03:24 PM
hey, If i just put a cam in my 300EX will that give me any more power?? or do i need to get a .80 piston and port and polish to make it rip....also is there sizes of cam's or something? what should i get...sorry im new to all this motorwork stuff

Rastus
10-20-2005, 05:55 PM
If you put a cam in, yes you will notice an improvement. A cam and piston compliment each other to provide a better overall gain, and you only have to jet once. The compression of the piston makes a larger difference than over-boring, unless you're going with a much larger piston/stroker.

There are different grind/lift combinations of cams, I think that's what you're asking. Certain cams will shift the power of your motor, and provide you with better gains in the Low, Mid, Or Top end RPM ranges. Certain cams may require hard-faced rockers, depending on the lift and how the cam was re-ground. At the far end of the spectrum for the large lift cams, you may have to get some new valve springs along with some other items.

A port and polish will also help your power, and I'm assuming you already have a good filter and exhaust to help flow. Depending on the head, a good port and polish definately makes a difference pretty much everywhere.

What it all comes down to is where you want your power and what you have planned for the quad. If it's a woods machine you'll probably want more low to mid power. If it's more of an MX quad, then you'll probably want more Mid to Top end. It will depend on what kind of riding you do before you can choose a cam to suit your needs.

rollie
10-22-2005, 06:31 AM
thanks man...bump