PDA

View Full Version : 86R Clutch is super hard to Pull???

TampaBoy813
10-20-2005, 03:03 PM
the clutch does not slip @ all...just is super hard to pull...we have gotten a new cable for it and it helped a little but is still super tight??? what is it?

MR.BIG
10-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Get an easy clutch in goes in between the cable and the lever and it works really good. I think its called easy clutch but I could be wrong. Otherwise get to the gym!

C41Xracer
10-20-2005, 04:16 PM
did you lube the cable???any kinks?i had a kink in my cable, actually zip tied it to the frame and it made it hard to pull

cdrookie
10-20-2005, 04:37 PM
probably has stiffer springs in the clutch(cr500 or maybe washers behind the springs)get a new set of clutch springs.

wilkin250r
10-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Take the cable off the clutch (at the engine), and see if it's still hard to pull. You need to determine of the problem is the cable. lever, or the clutch itself.

If it's easy to pull with the cable off, then the problem is in the clutch itself. Regardless of the specific problem, you'll need to take it apart to look at it, so no sense in trying to guess at that point. Take it apart and find out what's wrong.

beerock
10-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
probably has stiffer springs in the clutch(cr500 or maybe washers behind the springs)get a new set of clutch springs.

cr500 springs are softer then stock 250r

You could have a problem with a notched clutch basket. so yea if you take the cable off by the motor and pull the lever and its easy like wilkin said, tiem to pull off the clutch cover.

ESR250R
10-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by beerock
cr500 springs are softer then stock 250r

You could have a problem with a notched clutch basket. so yea if you take the cable off by the motor and pull the lever and its easy like wilkin said, tiem to pull off the clutch cover.

yep the cr 500 had more springs so they made them softer than the 250r springs. i would say try rtc levers i have the brake and clutch levers on my 250r and i love em.

wilkin250r
10-20-2005, 05:48 PM
I honestly don't think an Easy-Pull or RTC lever is the answer. If the clutch is extremely stiff, find the root cause and fix it, don't just band-aid the problem.

TampaBoy813
10-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Take the cable off the clutch (at the engine), and see if it's still hard to pull. You need to determine of the problem is the cable. lever, or the clutch itself.

If it's easy to pull with the cable off, then the problem is in the clutch itself. Regardless of the specific problem, you'll need to take it apart to look at it, so no sense in trying to guess at that point. Take it apart and find out what's wrong. we did that when we got the new cable...so it must in the clutch basket...

beerock
10-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I honestly don't think an Easy-Pull or RTC lever is the answer. If the clutch is extremely stiff, find the root cause and fix it, don't just band-aid the problem.

yea true, but damn my clutch is like butter with the RTC clutch lever.

Rich250RRacer
10-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Bearings that the clutch arm ride on could be bad. Has the chain every come off and hit the case where the arm goes in? This will cause a hard pull. Is the clutch arm worn? To see if it's the basket, rock the bike forward and back while the quad is in gear (not running), this will get the plates out of the grooves if there are any, does the clutch pull get easier? Looks like it has to come apart. I try to avoid any easy pull products, all they do is increase leverage ratio, and actually don't pull as far and don't always fully disengage the clutch, which could result in premature wear of the clutch plates. If you can swing it, after you find the problem and correct it, try a Magura hydraulic set-up. I've run these for about five years and wouldn't think of going back to a cable.

beerock
10-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
Bearings that the clutch arm ride on could be bad. Has the chain every come off and hit the case where the arm goes in? This will cause a hard pull. Is the clutch arm worn? To see if it's the basket, rock the bike forward and back while the quad is in gear (not running), this will get the plates out of the grooves if there are any, does the clutch pull get easier? Looks like it has to come apart. I try to avoid any easy pull products, all they do is increase leverage ratio, and actually don't pull as far and don't always fully disengage the clutch, which could result in premature wear of the clutch plates. If you can swing it, after you find the problem and correct it, try a Magura hydraulic set-up. I've run these for about five years and wouldn't think of going back to a cable.

I'm sorry thats your opinion because i gaurantee my clutch pull is easier and just as accurate as your 300 dollar hydraulic clutch. My buddy has the all billit magura and my other has the reg magura my pull is softer then both of theirs. Granted, alot of people are amazed why my clutch is so easy to pull. They all feel like that if all the clutch pieces are in good working order

On the other side, if you have a leaky hydraulic clutch good luck going riding that day unless you have a spare kevlar clutch line and if you dont a couple $20's for the line. If i break my clutch cable ill pay 7-12 bux and will be good to go without having to bleed the hydraulic line.

now they do have a bling factor. so why wouldnt I have it on my bike after all it is all bling. Fact is I don't feel It is justifyable or the functionality is better then a regular old clutch lever maintained properly(for a dirt machine). I think the functionality of a hydraulic raises failure rate.

ESR250R
10-20-2005, 07:28 PM
to add to that i have never fully engaged the clutch on my truck, streetbike or my atv (engage about half way and shift). i havent been though a clutch in my streetbike or the truck and my 250r has been through one clutch when i first bought it and hasnt been replaced in 3 years including alot of racing, so i'm not too worried about fully ingaging the clutch.

btw if you go to replace the clutch if you have a worn basket or plates. i recommend fresh stock 250r springs, stock plates and fibers and a hinson clutch basket. by far the best clutch i have used on any quad. do NOT use offbrand clutch fibers and plates.

TampaBoy813
10-21-2005, 05:14 AM
I quess I will take it apart this weekend and see whats going on...its been like this for a long time...we just never ride it...but its going to be going up for sale soon...will start on the R after I get done with the Hybrid...thanxs for all the info guys!

Rich250RRacer
10-23-2005, 07:25 PM
While I would never go back to a cable on a permanent basis, I do carry a cable and perch/lever in my trailer in case an unexpected crash would wipe something out. As far as stopping me from riding for a day, that won't happen, I have plenty of toys to take out riding. But seriously, the hydraulic unit has proven very durable for me, my clutch pull is as easy as it needs to be and I never have to worry about adjusting.