PDA

View Full Version : would clutch be ruined from sitting in engine with no oil for 2 years

gotflames
10-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Just bought a suzukit 230 motor and the clutch seems funny. It sat on a shelf for 2 years with no oil in the motor. Could that cause the clutch plates to go bad? Anty ideas guys?

ZeroLogic
10-20-2005, 03:28 PM
it should its not like the motor kinda ran with no oil right? are the plates and metal stuck together?

gotflames
10-20-2005, 03:39 PM
no the motor was just drained and out on a shelf. Have not taken side cover off yet so I do not know if they are stuck togetehr.

UglyMotha™
10-20-2005, 04:59 PM
no, when you buy them, they don't come in oil, if any moisture got in there, the steels could have rusted but i don't forsee that happening since oil leaves a film on everything

wilkin250r
10-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Even though the oil was drained, it probably left a coating on everything. The engine is pretty well sealed, I doubt enough moisture could get in there to get through the oil and cause rust problems.

tprender
10-21-2005, 05:54 AM
The clutch plates will or should be still good. Make sure that when you start it up it is in nuteral. The plates might be frozen togehter. But, after running for a little bit, they will come apart and work real good. After you run the engine for a few hours change the oil.