PDA

View Full Version : CRF Ignition Issues

TRXDresh
10-20-2005, 07:10 AM
Fellas-

I have just put the CRF ignition on my race bike, and it is now running lean. The headpipe is turning cherry red, and it is poping on the downrev. I pulled the hotstart cable out to make sure it wasn't in a bind and letting air into the motor. I was wondering if for some odd reason, you have to rejet when you put the ignition on. I am thinking there is something else going on, but I am bumfuzzled on what it could be. Unfortunately, not very many people around here know a bunch about the ignition. Any help would be awesome. I looked at the plug and it looked tan. The ignition is the only thing I changed since I have started having the problems. Some facts:

VP Ultimate 2 Fuel (Was U4, but VP suggested U2 because of CR)
TRX Carb
192 Main
50 Pilot
Head and Valve Work
Rossier Pipe
Sparks Filter

If nobody has any advice, I will call Rossier (he did the head and piston work) and see if he has some. I hate to bother him because he is a very busy man.

JH Racing
10-20-2005, 08:05 AM
When the bike idles the head pipe will glow. Go up to a 52 pilot and a 195 main what needle do you have in it? I have a 200 main in Caleb Moores He has the same setup minus porting.

TRXDresh
10-20-2005, 08:17 AM
I have the HRC needle with the clip in the 3rd position. I will try it and see what happens. Thanks JH!

depotman19
10-20-2005, 02:11 PM
I have the exact same setup as you and am having the same problem. With the Crf ignition you are getting differrent timing.

Also remember that a properly jetted bike will pop occaisionally.

The problem I am having is lots of popping on deccel.

I moved my needle down to the fourth slot and that helped a little.

I would also reccomend trying a 52 pilot but deffinetly not going above a 195 main. You will lose power going above a 195 main.

I felt that the most power was made at a 190.

Obviously you will need to mess with your air/fuel mixture screw a litttle, which will help the problem a little. You should try turning the screw out.

Also make sure there are no air leaks. Tighten the exhaust bolts holding your header on, and look for leaks in the your intake/ carb area.

TRXDresh
10-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Has the popping gone away for the most part now that you have changed the jetting?

R3Concepts
10-20-2005, 05:52 PM
If its a TT CRF ign. then they DO NOT change the timing.

TRXDresh
10-21-2005, 10:04 AM
How is it any different? Do they not use a Honda CDI box?

depotman19
10-21-2005, 10:24 AM
A Crf ignition is more aggressive and has more advance than a Trx cdi regardless of who you buy it from.

I believe a Crf ignition is advanced 8 degress more in comparison to a Trx cdi. If you buy this ignition form Trail Tech and you have a High compression piston they retard your Crf stator timing to only have 4 degrees of timing advance (in comparison to your Trx cdi). This is to help prevent any pre ignition issues with the high comp piston.

I have tammed my popping on deccel by going down to the 4th clip position and messing with the A/f mixture screw. Eventually I will try a 52 pilot to see if this helps.

depotman19
10-21-2005, 10:26 AM
I still havesome popping but it has been tammed a littlle.

I will try a 52 pilot to see if it helps.

86atc250r
10-24-2005, 02:25 PM
I don't know the exact curves between stock and CRF - but changes in the curve can effect the jetting.

Another think to check is that your TPS is functioning properly with the CRF harness. If not the timing will be retarded, which will increase EGT which could cause the header to glow more frequently/easily and popping.

FWIW, I'm running the Trailtech CRF ign and have zero popping, quad runs great.

depotman19
10-26-2005, 09:42 PM
What tool would you use to measure this?

ANd how would you do this? With the bike running right?

I have seen the resistances that you have posted on another site.

I am just not sure how to measure if they are right.

I have the Crf ignition.

Thanks

Jake.......

jesse
10-26-2005, 10:22 PM
MIX THE U-2 WITH C-12 AND TRY A 185 0R 190 JET I HAVE THE SAME PIPE 13.5 PISTON AND NATIONAL PORTING AND A CRF IGN .
I HAD A 220 MAIN IN IT AND IT STILL WOULD GLOW RED CLEAN BACK 2 THE SECOND PART OF THE PIPE . I TRIED A NEW CAM WITH LESS DURATION DID NOT WORK DEGREED THE CAMS STILL HAD THE PROBLEM . THEN A VERY SMART PERSON NAMED ''JOE" WHO HELPED ME BUILD MY MOTOR SAID TRY MR9 OR MIXING U-2 AND C-12 . WELL WITH 30 GALLONS OF U2 I WAS NOT BUYING MR9 SO I BOUGHT C12 MIXED IT 50 /50 AND A 190 MAIN AND IT RUNS LIKE HELL WITH NO MORE RED HEAD PIPE .SINCE THEN I HAVE CHANGED THE MIX A LITTLE 2 MAKE IT RUN A LITTLE LEEN WITCH IS WERE I RUN ALL MY MOTORS . TRY IT AND LET ME kNOW IF IT WORKS .

Sorry about the all caps didnt know it was on :eek2: :D ;)

Airik79mx
10-27-2005, 07:04 AM
When I used that fuel it always poping and running lean no matter what jetting I used. I use C12 now with no problem's at all. And it's cheaper.

TRXDresh
10-27-2005, 04:21 PM
If you are reffering to Joe from Rossier, he built my motor, but he did not put the ignition on it. I was going to call him as a last ditch effort, but I think I got it figured out. Thanks for all your guys' help.

jesse
10-27-2005, 10:00 PM
thats the joe i was talking about