PDA

View Full Version : air leak around rim?

mills_racing
10-19-2005, 07:35 PM
i just changed a set of rear raz2's onto a brand new set of itp .190 rims and they have a slow leak around the bead in a few places on each tire and they are popped all the way on the bead....how can i fix this real quick enough for the race this weekend?

10-19-2005, 07:36 PM
either break the bead all the way around again and inflate it or just inflate it more until it seats again. it may be a problem with the actual tire too. good luck

YFZ450Ridr
10-19-2005, 07:51 PM
happpened to me on my itp rims. just pump the tire up to about 35 pounds or air, or to w/e it says for setting the bead and that should work, did for me.

mills_racing
10-19-2005, 07:58 PM
well the tires are used and they never leaked before....i inflate the tire with around 35 pounds and the leak stops but when u take it back down to riding pressure it starts back.

Heybo
10-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Break the tire down and spray rubberized undercoating (can get at any parts store) around the sealing edges of the rim. Reinflate the tire and your bead should be sealed.

nakomis0
10-20-2005, 05:30 AM
I had this same problem. The easiest, and quickest fix, by far is...

To deflate the tire. Wipe any dirt from around the rim where the bead sits. Then spray it with some soapy water and then while its still wet....

This is the dangerous part... Spray in some Starting fluid for about 2 seconds.. only 2 seconds!!! Then from a few feet away toss a lighted match into the rim. ..BOOM.. its sealed.

Works freakin awesome. There are some obvious safety concerns.. might wanna wear eye protection and have adult supervision.. hehe.. but it really does work great and I'll never bead an rim any other way.

10-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
I had this same problem. The easiest, and quickest fix, by far is...

To deflate the tire. Wipe any dirt from around the rim where the bead sits. Then spray it with some soapy water and then while its still wet....

This is the dangerous part... Spray in some Starting fluid for about 2 seconds.. only 2 seconds!!! Then from a few feet away toss a lighted match into the rim. ..BOOM.. its sealed.

Works freakin awesome. There are some obvious safety concerns.. might wanna wear eye protection and have adult supervision.. hehe.. but it really does work great and I'll never bead an rim any other way. i can never get it to work. it always starts a fire inside the rim that takes me a minute to put out and everyone laughs at me

Woodsrider
10-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Use bead sealer. Its a rtv rubber film you apply to the bead just prior to seating it. Then run the pressure up to 30 and let it set up. You may be able to find it at Napa, if not just take the leaky wheel/tire to the local tire shop and have them do it.
We use it all the time on aluminum wheels that have been chrome plated. It never fails with the chromed aluminum wheels, after about the third set of tires, the chrome starts to flake at the beads and out form the center cap.

kos462
10-20-2005, 03:39 PM
wire brush the bead really good and smear greese in the bead