PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound right?

rollie
10-19-2005, 05:16 PM
i stripped the drive shaft(i guess thats what u call it) on my 300EX..the shaft that comes out and spins the front sprocket, i called my local shop and they said $650 because they have to take it all apart and take the entire engine apart..does that sound right? has anyone else stripped one of these, ive never seen it untill i did it on the first lap of the last race of the season :mad:

JOEX
10-19-2005, 05:53 PM
I belive they do have to split the case on the 300ex to replace the shift shaft. I know the 400ex case needs to be split, I broke mine this summer. Replaced it myself without much difficulty and i've never done it before.

As far as cost, that seems like alot :ermm:

wilkin250r
10-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Actually, $650 doesn't sound all that unreasonable for splitting the cases.

Think about it. It's a minimum 4hr job, at roughly $75 an hour shop time, you're looking at $300 in labor alone.

And that $300 is just LABOR, you still need parts. There are some parts that are replaced every time you disassemble. Add new gaskets, bearings, new rings for the piston, circlips, and you're adding another $100 for general assembly parts, even before you replace broken components.

Figure $100 for a new shaft.

If they are pulling the motor out of the frame and reinstall, add another $100.

This is just a general breakdown. It's really easy to go higher when you actually start looking into the details, like honing the cylinder before reassembly.

Suddenly, $650 sounds about right, doesn't it?

JOEX
10-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Yea, I guess so.....:ermm: That's why I try to do my own work.

It probably cost me that much too but I added some goodies:D

wilkin250r
10-19-2005, 06:14 PM
My engine is a nightmare. Already I know I need a new clutch basket and inner hub, a new gear shaft, new crank, new stator and flywheel, and I haven't even gotten it fully split to find what gears I'll need, along with shift forks I'm sure.

For crying out loud, I'm looking at $1200, and I'm STILL doing my own work...

rollie
10-19-2005, 06:18 PM
ok thanks guys i just didnt wanna get screwed..but it looks like im not...