PDA

View Full Version : clutch troubles

XCredrider
10-19-2005, 04:41 PM
we are having a prob on one of the R's. I was putting it together and i got all the way to the clutch and when i put it on, it wont let my motor turn over. I took the clutch back off and then it would turn freely. Then I put it back on and it wouldnt turn over again. It is now off again and it will turn over freely. My springs were torqued to 7 pounds. Maybe evn 6 lbs. How much should they be torqued to? Also is there a small needle bearing between the pressure plate and the piece that holds the small ball bearing and goes around the cltch rod? i just dont know what the problem is. Thanks in advance.

velocityatv
10-20-2005, 07:13 AM
sounds like you have too many peices in you push rod assembly. It will depend on wich pressure plate you have. If it is a 89 push rod system. Than you will not use the push rod assembly with the beebee inside the top hat plate. You will have the rod, a adapter that looks like two top hats put together, and a needle bearing plate. The way you were describing sounded like you placed the ball bearing inside the wrong top hat. Look at a www.servicehonda.com. As far as torque on the bolts, bottom them out. Thats the way it was designed, bottom out the bolt, and place a small drop of light thread locker. When replacing the plates and fibers always start with a fiber and end with a fiber. Fiber than plate, fiber than plate.......until the final one which should be a fiber. Always place your fibers in tranny oil a good couple hours before install and cover the plates with tranny oil when you install. If you put together dry I could see what your describing happening. Sounds like you just have something out of place or not lubed.

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx250r%2086-89/clutch.jpg

XCredrider
10-20-2005, 09:30 AM
I found out what the problem was. We can spin the clutch when it is disengaged but it wont spin when it is engaged. Onece we got it all back together we found out that it wont shift. It's like it is stuck in between two gears. It we will have to split the cases again and see what is wrong. What do you mean botom them out? I toghten them all the way till they stop then put them at 7 ft/lbs. Thanks for the help. :D