PDA

View Full Version : Water In Air Box

TRX400EX02
10-19-2005, 04:35 PM
I was riding a couple of days ago and I went through some relatively deep water from all the rain we have been getting up here. The deepest ones were about up to the exhaust tip(stock) for lengths of roughly 30 ft. Later on, my dads Sportsman 400 began sputtering and bogging during acceleration so we headed back for the truck. When we dropped his off at the dealer they said he had gotten water into is airbox and they suggested they check mine. When I went back later to pick it up they said my air box had had alot of water in it and when they had pulled the plug on the bottom of the air box tons of water came out. Their suggestion was to change the oil. My question to you guys is, is that all I need to do? If it matters, I hadn't noticed any difference in the way it was running(ex. sputtering and bogging like my dads). Thank you.

jak1389
10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
dont need to change your oil, just clean your filter and make sure its all dry and oiled up

yamaharaptor350
10-19-2005, 05:24 PM
if it wasnt runnin like sh*t then no water got in and your fine.

hondajoe05
10-19-2005, 05:33 PM
since you didn't no to pull the plug out of the bottum of your airbox i would suggest changeing your oil if its not the blackish or brownish it always has been or should be if it has white stuff in it or it looks milky definityly change it and don't ride it if its milky cuz that could tear up your engine...... jus trying to help cuz i was about 2 hour away from my truck with no way of getting the bike back and went throw some water about that deap went thro we stopped had one of the guys that was with us which was a mechanic look at it we dry'ed teh filter spark plug and he said it would be fine for a few hours without changeing the oil and we contuniued to ride and we got it back and took it to our regular mechanic and he said it needed bored and engine needed rebuilt on my 4 week old 400ex :eek: and then we dished out the 500$ and it runs like a beaut now

igmif
10-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by hondajoe05
had one of the guys that was with us which was a mechanic look at it we dry'ed teh filter spark plug and he said it would be fine for a few hours without changeing the oil and we contuniued to ride and we got it back and took it to our regular mechanic and he said it needed bored and engine needed rebuilt on my 4 week old 400ex :eek: and then we dished out the 500$ and it runs like a beaut now

Maybe you engine suffered some other ill fate along the way but for H2O in the engine, I think you got ripped off.

hondajoe05
10-19-2005, 09:34 PM
no srry i didn't explain it right their was quiet a bit of water in my oil..... and the rings lost their lube came off and scratched my cyclinder......

MR.BIG
10-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Change your oil and if you are going to go through deep water or water at all pull the cap off the bottom of the airbox so the water will just come out.

47501exracer
10-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Make some cuts in the drip tube so water will run out if you get any in there.

troutman561
10-20-2005, 09:53 PM
why where u goin through water that deep on a 400ex.. they arnt a utility.. jsut curious..

TRX400EX02
10-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Its a trail my dad and I always ride and its always dry. But we've been getting tons of rain. I assumed it wasn't too deep.