PDA

View Full Version : Switching college?

fasterz
10-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Right now im attending Wilkes university in wilkes barre pa. Im a freshman and going to major in mechanical engineering. I want to come out of school with the knowlegde of how to, design, build prototype, test, and retail. I am wanting to be in the atv industry so it would entail arms, swingarms, and such. Things may end up going towards cars though, im not sure but its all similar. Right now im learning nothing I want to learn at wilkes, i dont like the other students, there is nothing to do, and i dont like some of the staff memebers at all. Im thinking of switching school but i dont know where, i want to stay not to far. My home is like 30 mins from philly. Also would i be better off in automototive engineering or mechanical?

wilkin250r
10-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by fasterz
Right now im learning nothing I want to learn at wilkes,

This simple fact isn't going to change. In ANY school, your first semesters are fundamentals and theory, you have a LONG way to go before learning actual applications.

You need calculus before you can take Statics, and you need statics before you can take Dynamics, and you need Dynamics before you can take Strength of Materials, and you need Strength before you can properly design an A-arm to handle the stresses placed on it by riding. You need to know how to calculate the thicknesses required, the geometry, weak points, ect.

Now, if you don't like your teachers, that's a different issue.

fasterz
10-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
This simple fact isn't going to change. In ANY school, your first semesters are fundamentals and theory, you have a LONG way to go before learning actual applications.

You need calculus before you can take Statics, and you need statics before you can take Dynamics, and you need Dynamics before you can take Strength of Materials, and you need Strength before you can properly design an A-arm to handle the stresses placed on it by riding. You need to know how to calculate the thicknesses required, the geometry, weak points, ect.

Now, if you don't like your teachers, that's a different issue.

I can get over the fact of a few ******* teachers becuase its only one semester, but do you feel with a mechanical engineer degree I would be able to come out of school and build parts? Im in the machine shop class right now, its a junior course but i wanted to take it now so i could spend time in the shop. Its 1 hour per week for one semester, you learn the basics of what each machine does but im not going to be leaving being great at tig'ing and all the other machine operations, i just dont think its near enough of how much i should know. and this is the only machine shop class.

wilkin250r
10-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Not a chance.

Almost any college in the world will give you background information, and that's it. There are WAY too many aspects and directions for any college to teach you everything about everything.

Think about it. There's ATV a-arms, but there's also swingarms. And motorcycle swingarms. And motorcycle forks. And snowmobile a-arms, and rear suspension. Then there's cars, a-arms, solid axles, leafsprings, I-beams, and are they sport, racing, or off-road? How about 6-wheel vehicles, or large snow-cats? Do you honestly think there is a dedicated class to each and every one of these things?

If you want to design a-arms, your best bet is a combination of education and experience. With experience, you'll learn the fine aspects of suspension design, and key areas to look for by somebody that already knows. However, you NEED education, because if somebody is teaching you about stress points, metal fatigue, and heat-treating, you need to have the background knowledge to understand those things.

You can't learn translation of forces, torque vectors, and materials coefficients while on the job. You need to already have that knowlege, and that's where education comes in.