PDA

View Full Version : Having Problems and runs like crap

yamaha1470
06-17-2002, 04:47 PM
Hey I got my 400EX from my dealer and was excited to ride so I went out riding. I broke it in and everything was good. It started to make noise so I figured id change the oil and maybe it would help out. I went to check the oil and it was like 1 1/2 inches over the full mark!:huh :huh :huh Thats how dumb the people are at the dealer. So I hope that didnt mess anything up. Then I figured I would pull the plug to see how it is running. The tip was whitish grey and around the bottom was a dry black(I didnt check it after i ran it. thats how it looked after sitting for a couple of days). So its running lean. It runs like crap also. Could the excess oil have messed anything up? Also since it running lean what should i do to make it richer(which jets and how big?) Could it have messed anything up being lean? Also I am going to get the valves adjusted and maybe that could help out the problem because I think they are off. I hear all sorts of taps. Do you think adjusting the valves will help? What should I do to fix it? Thanks

ridered86
06-17-2002, 06:11 PM
its oil injected to much in the tank wont hurt any thing

Pappy
06-17-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ridered86
its oil injected to much in the tank wont hurt any thing
maybe i missed something but i dont believe the 400ex is oil injected. yes, adjust your valves and keep an eye on the plug.

400exBro
06-17-2002, 07:07 PM
if you have tooo much oil pressure from to much oil can;t you blow a valve seal???
i know Norm did on his 400, might want to check with him, and go to a different dealer..
Bro

ridered86
06-17-2002, 08:14 PM
what i ment was dry sump engine circulates oil throughout the engine through the filter than to the tank again:)

yamaha1470
06-18-2002, 07:52 AM
What would happen if i blew a valve seal? How much is that and what would be the effects? Thanks

BIGRED400
06-18-2002, 08:08 AM
I was checking my oil the wrong way at 1st,, the book says to warm it up first then shutoff and unscrew dipstick wipe off then just put dipstick back in but do not screw it in just place in tank until it bottoms out and pullout and check it, I really did'nt know how and the dealer never told me, mine ran like crap from a dirty filter , I cleaned it and put it back in but it still had dampness in the filter took it out recleaned it nad took my wife's hairdryer to it ( SHE LOVED THAT) until real dry and re-oiled it and everything was OK

2002 400EX
2002 250EX