PDA

View Full Version : review on 2006

andy roth
10-19-2005, 09:36 AM
I rode my 2006 in a hare scramble this weekend. I really should have set up the bike a little more but it was a last minute decision. I really hate the thumb throttle, it is stiffer than the 04 and the front shocks are way too stiff for woods.They were so stiff they beat me to death. My 04 was alot softer. The power is great it has a lot of lowend torque and pulls great. I like the way it handles and the bucking is definitely better than the 04.I didnt do too well in the race because I just havent rode enough this year and My thumb was killing me!!! Yesterday we went riding and I pulled the lid off,rejeted the carb,and pulled out the baffle in the muffler. It was pretty loud and it pulled even harder. The biggest thing was it started better. It started up much better after making able to breath. Now I have to fix this two big issues with the thumb thottle and the front springs. Should I send the frt shocks to derisi? Should I try a 400ex thumb throttle?

4ABURN
10-19-2005, 10:24 AM
sorry I can't anwser your question,but your mods, they are all I plan on doing,so I was wondering what jets you guys are using inthe lid,end cap,mod. THANKS

PS::: as for your thumb toughen up.LOL:D :D

Colby@C&DRacing
10-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Try a 400ex thumb throttle with a trx90 lever, this will help :)

4ABURN
10-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Sorry thats on the 2006 only.Its also getting cold year in canada,so jetting will be in order. thanks for your help.:)

iceracer65
10-19-2005, 10:59 AM
i also rode one.

the power is deffinately more high strung than the '04-5's. it will be a handfull on slick tracks with the lack in bottom end torque.

the riding position is alot different too, you sit more forward and more upright.

runs like crap, always stalling and popping and farting. jetting issues:rolleyes:

Jonas
10-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by andy roth
I rode my 2006 in a hare scramble this weekend. I really should have set up the bike a little more but it was a last minute decision. I really hate the thumb throttle, it is stiffer than the 04 and the front shocks are way too stiff for woods.They were so stiff they beat me to death. My 04 was alot softer. The power is great it has a lot of lowend torque and pulls great. I like the way it handles and the bucking is definitely better than the 04.I didnt do too well in the race because I just havent rode enough this year and My thumb was killing me!!! Yesterday we went riding and I pulled the lid off,rejeted the carb,and pulled out the baffle in the muffler. It was pretty loud and it pulled even harder. The biggest thing was it started better. It started up much better after making able to breath. Now I have to fix this two big issues with the thumb thottle and the front springs. Should I send the frt shocks to derisi? Should I try a 400ex thumb throttle?

I know that you are aware of this, but once you get used to a twist throttle you will never go back. Maybe consider it for next race season;)

twisted threads
10-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I think he is messing around.;)

400exracer08
10-19-2005, 06:30 PM
what main jet did you use?

Jersey450R
10-19-2005, 08:24 PM
why dont you try letting the compression out a bit. slow up your rebound and take the preload out of your shocks. :o

400EXBill
10-19-2005, 08:29 PM
And, give them a chance to wear in! Of course your 2004 is going to ride smoother....The shocks are two years old and "broke in" more.

andy roth
10-19-2005, 08:33 PM
I started with a 170 main.It ran great with just the main jet change. I,m at 1000 ft sea level. I need to recheck it though. I didnt adjust my air screw(it has that weard D-style adjustment screw). I have a twist throttle laying in the garage/ maybe i,ll try it. I tryed it on my banshee a long time ago but couldnt get the hang of it, Id always throttle it over a jump!LOL Has anyone had Derisi racing do their shocks?

andy roth
10-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Well my 04 was a left over (only 6 months old and I had the compression and rebound set low and the perload is as soft as it will go.

ckasper18
10-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Modquad has this new thumb lever and its huge longer shaft so it sits farther down the and you dont have to bend your thumb as much and longer lever makes iy easier to push in.$39.00

400EXBill
10-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Well my 04 was a left over (only 6 months old and I had the compression and rebound set low and the perload is as soft as it will go.
Did you adjust the 06 the same way?

andy roth
10-19-2005, 08:47 PM
yes I did. I had some body roll with my 04 and tightened up my preload to fix that but I,m telling you these 06 springs are way too stiff for my riding style.I know I am using all my suspension if I bottom out every once and a while(when Im hammering through some rough s**t.) But these are not even close to my 04.

RedRacer44
10-19-2005, 09:54 PM
The springs aren't different I dont think.....Honda changed the valving in the fronts. They are stiffer by far but its all in the valving. You can get a simple revalve and they'll work way better. Do all three shocks with revalve and they'll work good.

Derisi does good work, had a buddy who sent his stuff to Santo. JH Racing and C&D Racing also do similiar shock work to the stock TRX shocks....

spincr4hire
10-20-2005, 08:08 AM
the rear end is much better on the 06, hardly any bucking as far as I can tell.

E.POWERSPORTS
10-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by RedRacer44
The springs aren't different I dont think.....Honda changed the valving in the fronts. They are stiffer by far but its all in the valving. You can get a simple revalve and they'll work way better. Do all three shocks with revalve and they'll work good.

Derisi does good work, had a buddy who sent his stuff to Santo. JH Racing and C&D Racing also do similiar shock work to the stock TRX shocks....

The springs themselves have a different part # for 06.

10-21-2005, 03:38 PM
andy roth.. u btch too much! everything is great how it is lol

eagertorace
10-22-2005, 07:29 PM
:cool: I picked mine up today and had some fun around the house and down the road. My son enjoyed the ride as well.
After I got it warmed up, I noticed a little hesitation at mid throttle. This is a brand new quadDidn't know if it was a jetting issue or what:confused:
I looked in the gas tank and noticed it needed more fuel so I put more in it. After the next ride it didn't have that hesitation anymore. The motor itself is noisy and my brother said it may be the high comp. piston. Of course he had to ride it and he came back smiling and speechless:D (he's got an 04 450r piped, jetted and hrc kit)
Anyway the power is awesome and can't wait to feel the difference when I pipe and jet it. I believe I can take my brother:cool: I'M GLAD I STAYED WITH HONDA.

andy roth
10-23-2005, 03:18 PM
I will be sending my shocks to derisi this winter (hopefully soon!!). I cant wait to race again after I dial everything in.