PDA

View Full Version : using a non-quad performance pipe?

rabbit222
10-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post here.

My 450r is bone stock other than some sand tires and scratches.. This is my first real quad thats worth a damn.. I am into sportbikes and I havea couple of pipes from wrecked bikes laying around here and I held one up to the pipe thats on the R now and its a pretty close match.

How much of a difference between a sportbike pipe and a quad pipe is there?

I have a Micron race pipe in polished aluminum and I have an Akropovich Carbon fiber from a vtwin tls.

could i put one of these pipes on and rejet without much worry or would i be better off to just save up and buy a quad specific pipe?

If any pipe will work, how will i know what jet I should put in to work with a pipe that was designed for a sportbike?

thanks!

10-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by rabbit222
Hey guys, this is my first post here.

My 450r is bone stock other than some sand tires and scratches.. This is my first real quad thats worth a damn.. I am into sportbikes and I havea couple of pipes from wrecked bikes laying around here and I held one up to the pipe thats on the R now and its a pretty close match.

How much of a difference between a sportbike pipe and a quad pipe is there?

I have a Micron race pipe in polished aluminum and I have an Akropovich Carbon fiber from a vtwin tls.

could i put one of these pipes on and rejet without much worry or would i be better off to just save up and buy a quad specific pipe?

If any pipe will work, how will i know what jet I should put in to work with a pipe that was designed for a sportbike?

thanks!

i wouldnt do it, here is why

the design of the street bike pipe is differant from the atv pipe, in the silencer and in the bend and circumfrence of the header pipes, the pipe would most likely give you a lot of top end power, and a big loss on low end, or give you no power gain at all, and possibly a loss, it is possible to make a street bike pipe fit, but u would need to find a street bike pipe that has the right header size and design of silencer, i wouldnt reccommend it, but yes it is possible

yes you could put it on and rejet, that is possible, and you might want to try it, jus keep in mind, it might not give you the power you expect

you might want to try buying a slip on instead of going to the trouble of a street bike pipe, the Dr. D slip on gives good gains and is impressive for a slip on pipe :macho

rabbit222
10-18-2005, 10:13 PM
I appreciate the help!

Its sooo hard to switch from one motorsport to the next without trying to hybrid the two together.. i've already been eyeing that 600cc motor tucked under my work bench..

I think i'll just save up and do it the right way.. but if anyone wants to try this, let me know, i have a couple of pipes i'd sell pretty cheap..

souva91
10-18-2005, 10:18 PM
we put a slip on off of a 600 cbr i think onto a 400 ex the pipe was a muzzy and it ran fine

Martin Blair
10-18-2005, 10:35 PM
it should work fine, you are obviously just talking about the silencer, which should be very similar in design, just a core, some packing, and a outer shell. I would buy a full system, and with a quad spacific pipe you would gain more power, but it certainly wont hurt anything.

450 Racer R
10-19-2005, 12:22 PM
got any pics of your exhausts?

Jersey450R
10-19-2005, 01:05 PM
I would say give it a shot! What do you have to lose? If it hinders performance, take it off. If It increases performance, then you have something to talk about. ;)