PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! need help

400exrules
10-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Got my hotcams stage 1 today and i got everything off, got the head off, got the old cam out, took out decompression pin and spring, covered the crap outta my hotcam with assembly lube, put it in, covered the crap outta the bearings with assembly lube, put them in with hotcam, loosely put on top cam chain sprocket bolt, and here's the problem.
We couldnt loosen the middle screw in the cam chain tensioner that moves that shaft in and out to put tension on the chain, so we just unscrewed the two bolts and pulled it out to get some slack to take out the old cam put in the new cam.........like i said, we get the new cam in, lightly tighten the top bolt of the cam sprocket, and go to put the cam chain tenstioner back in......and the fugger wont go in!!!!:grr: :mad: :mad: . Their is about a 1/4 inch gap, and it will not go in any farther, its really pissin me off too, cuz idk wtf i did wrong. Im thinking i need to somehow get this stripped screw loosened so i can loosen it so the shaft will shorten. Right now it feels like it pushes as hard as it can on the chain, and their is still about a 1/4inch left to go to the mounting place on the cylinder.
Idk if it will change anything but do i need to rotate it off TDC???

sorry if it doesnt make sense, i can do a microsoft paint drawing if i need to

PLEASE PLEASE help, and leave suggestions!

thanks

TheX1992
10-18-2005, 09:46 PM
I used a jewlers flathead screwdriver to get in there. It's very small. It's spring loaded and you have to grow another hand to get it put in right. You set the arm all the way back thats on the spring, hold it there while you torque the 2 bolts down, then let it go. It's tricky, but needs to be done. I just tightened it down all the way not thinking one time and ended up breaking my cam chain.

400exrules
10-18-2005, 09:50 PM
what do you mean by arm....like the shaft that comes from the tensioner and pushes on the chain? I took the whole cam chain tensioner out(loosened the top and bottom bolts), and when i had it out i put it on a vice and couldnt get that big round phillips head screw to budge at all, and it started to strip. Do i need to get that screw off to put the tensioner back in?

IM confused on how it came out fine but wont go back in

Ralph
10-18-2005, 09:51 PM
you have to take out the center screw, then "wind up" the tensioner which will pull the arm in and then u need a special tool to hold in inplace like that. then bolt the tensioner back in, remove the tool and "plop!" the arm pushes out and puts tension on the cam chain guide.

I have done it without the tool but it is a pita

400exrules
10-18-2005, 09:57 PM
So could i just wind it back upand shove it in their real fast, and it will pop back out and push on the chain right?

Will it have some resistance and not break the chain because i cant really push it in?

Ralph
10-18-2005, 10:25 PM
u cant just put it in real fast, you need to hold it in the "wound up" position with a screwdriver or the special tool you could prob pick up at the honda dealer.

4everhonda
10-19-2005, 01:12 PM
just as ralph said, you have it "wound up" which the arm is all the way in, the you put it back on the engine while still in the "wound up" position and tighten the top and bottom bolts then let go of the "wound up" part put the screw cap back on and your done!

400exrules
10-19-2005, 01:18 PM
ok thanks alot guys! i really appreciate it, i was goin crazy lol

ill give it a try and get back to you on how it goes

400exrules
10-19-2005, 01:49 PM
What all do i need to use the torque wrench on? And how critical is it? Anything i need to be careful of?

I dotn wanna snap a bolt, but i dont want them to vibrate out

wilkin250r
10-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Ok, you have probably figured out that the cam chain is some sort of spring.

However, it's not just a spring. It will spring OUT, but it will not push back IN. No matter how hard you push on it. The only way to get it to go back in is to wind it back with the screw.

So no, you cannot just put it in with the two bolts.

Also, it pops out pretty fast, so no, you cannot just "pop it on there real quick".

You don't necessarily need the special tool the manual says, you just need a small screwdriver. But it IS difficult, because you have to wind it back with the screwdriver, then hold it like that while you put the bolts in. You can't let go until the bolts are properly torqued down.

(actually, you COULD let go, it just means you have to wind it back again before you go any further)

wilkin250r
10-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
What all do i need to use the torque wrench on? And how critical is it? Anything i need to be careful of?

And, honestly, if you don't have a torque wrench, or you don't recognize the areas that are critical, then you probably should not be working on your own engine, or anybody else's for that matter.

400exrules
10-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
And, honestly, if you don't have a torque wrench, or you don't recognize the areas that are critical, then you probably should not be working on your own engine, or anybody else's for that matter.

yes i have a torque wrench, im just wondering what you guys have for input from experience......like which bolts could break if im not careful with them, etc.

wilkin250r
10-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Extremely critical on all head bolts.

Still important on all head cover bolts, cam tensioner, and exhaust.

400exrules
10-19-2005, 09:49 PM
YAY! everything went great, thanks to everyone who helped me out. It feels good to know that i did it and it gives me more confidence about taking my 400 apart and stuff. I adjusted the valves for the new cam, put in a new spark plug, replaced my crappy clutch cable(while i had everything apart). Tomorrow i just have to get the rest of the plastics mounted back up, change the oil, and ill be ready for break in!

After the 30min. breakin period, im gonna change the oil again, and check the valves. Will i be able to look at the spark plug to get a hint at how my jetting is, or will i have to do the thing where you go like, 1/2 throttle, cut it off and check it etc.

I dont think the cam will do that much to jetting.