PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: 450R shocks on 400EX

Pages : 1 [2]

400exMO
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
its only $100 to revalve aftermarket? a bet a good $100 is the springs though.
respring would be more. you just need to find shocks with the right spring rates.

01-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO
respring would be more. you just need to find shocks with the right spring rates.

which normally if you have to get them revalved you need new springs for your weight too so the 450r fronts are better in the long run

400exMO
01-08-2008, 05:16 PM
which normally if you have to get them revalved you need new springs for your weight too so the 450r fronts are better in the long run
It's really not that hard to find a set of used shocks setup for something close to you. plus they've been engineered for the 400ex, R shocks haven't.

flauge
01-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm trying to understand your reasoning. 200$ for the R shocks, 700 to respring and revalve all three shocks equals 900$ dollars.
Used aftermarket shocks 400$ realve those 100$, rear shock resprung and valved 300$ which equals 800$. I started out looking for used aftermarkets but I got aggrivated b/c I could'nt find the kind of shock I wanted that was around my weight. Yea, call me impatient. :o
Where did you get that price on a revalve?

atvmaster0927
01-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by flauge
I started out looking for used aftermarkets but I got aggrivated b/c I could'nt find the kind of shock I wanted that was around my weight. Yea, call me impatient. :o
Where did you get that price on a revalve?

he got that from colby@c&dracing...personally i think that is a little much, i was gunna buy 450r shocks but now i dont think i am cause it is quite a bit more(700$ more) to get them revavled.

400exMO
01-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by atvmaster0927
he got that from colby@c&dracing...personally i think that is a little much, i was gunna buy 450r shocks but now i dont think i am cause it is quite a bit more(700$ more) to get them revavled.
It's 700 to get it revalved and resprung (new springs). I was not saying that.

flauge
01-13-2008, 09:20 PM
It's 700 to get it revalved and resprung (new springs). I was not saying that. Sorry, I meant the price on the aftermarket revalve. Thats cheap man. Its hard to find a price that low on just a service.:eek:

Quadmulisha
01-21-2008, 11:24 AM
I put my friends 450r shocks on my 04 400ex and its so much different. It changed the ride height about 1/2 to a inch lower compared to stock shock. We just had to grind a bolt that was in the way and they fit perfect.

Milemakerex
02-02-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. After reading about the 450R shock setup I decided to try it on my 400ex.

Just picked up a set of 06 450R shocks today. Plan on installing tonight. I replaced the stock shocks with (used) Works Triple rate with RES last year and it was a big improvment. But never like the fact that I could not adjust them at all.

I'm going to try the (06) 450R shocks with the stock springs and see how they ride. I'm around 275lbs in full gear, so I'm hoping for the best.

If I do need new springs. Do you order them for your weight and riding style or do the spring kits have adjustability?

08400EX
02-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Milemakerex
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. After reading about the 450R shock setup I decided to try it on my 400ex.

Just picked up a set of 06 450R shocks today. Plan on installing tonight. I replaced the stock shocks with (used) Works Triple rate with RES last year and it was a big improvment. But never like the fact that I could not adjust them at all.

I'm going to try the (06) 450R shocks with the stock springs and see how they ride. I'm around 275lbs in full gear, so I'm hoping for the best.

If I do need new springs. Do you order them for your weight and riding style or do the spring kits have adjustability?

If I were you I would try installing the Works Triple rates on the 450R shock. They may fit perfectly and you will have the best of both worlds.

I think with the stock springs on the 450R shocks you will not be happy, especially after having the Works Triple rates.

Worse case scenario you can sell your Works shocks as is and order the Works Triple Rate Spring kit for the 450R shocks custom tailored to your weight and riding style. From my research they are by far the least expensive at $229 for the kit.

08400EX
02-10-2008, 10:04 AM
The Works Triple Rate Spring Kit for my 450Rs showed up Thursday. High Quality Kit, install was a snap and so far I am very pleased, especially for only $229!

REDRIDDER
02-19-2008, 01:25 PM
JUST PUT ON MY 450R SHOCKS TODAY...NOW IF IT WARMS UP A LITTLE I CAN TRY THEM OUT LOL..WHAT SHOULD I EXSPECT? IM 6FT 250LBS OF TRAIL RIDER.

awesome450
02-25-2008, 08:46 PM
I have these shocks on my bike and had GT Thunder do all three shocks and they are awesome!! I race xc and its the way to go.

awesome450
I have these shocks on my bike and had GT Thunder do all three shocks and they are awesome!! I race xc and its the way to go.

awesome450

Bigdaddy52302
03-03-2008, 04:07 PM
I way between 200 and 220 and want to know how to set my 450r shocks I like to jump, I was thinking I need to loosen the tension on the spring all the way, but how far in or out should i set the pre load or is it adjustable on the rese's, dont have any more money for springs or vavle jobs.

REDRIDDER
03-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Just play with the settings for your situation eventually you'll come across one set up you'll like.

Ruby Soho
03-07-2008, 05:56 AM
yeah. just adjust the settings till you find something that works for you, there is so much adjustment you can make on these shocks your bound to find something close

Speedy 400ex
03-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi i am new areound here.

any ways i have been wanting to do my front end for a wile now and 450 shocks, but i am like 130 pounds and it sounds like it will cost more to have them done then is would be to get this sistem I found on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRX400EX-400EX-2-1-A-ARMS-ELKA-SHOCKS-FULLFLIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q 2el1262QQcategoryZ43974QQihZ024QQitemZ370031431932

the elka shocks will be made for me before i even get them. and i get + 2 arms.

Ruby Soho
03-12-2008, 02:54 PM
theyll ride fine stock at 130#'s

drocracing247
03-13-2008, 07:48 PM
can you do it to the back to or no??

drocracing247
03-13-2008, 07:48 PM
can you do it to the back to or no??

drocracing247
03-13-2008, 07:49 PM
can you use a 450r back shock for the back of the 400 too

REDRIDDER
03-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by drocracing247
can you use a 450r back shock for the back of the 400 too you can their really is no advantage and you have to move your air box around i believe.

sc400ex_rider
03-16-2008, 01:01 PM
i just put some 450r shocks on my 400ex and though they were a little harsh/stiff at low speed(full soft settings). the stock spring is a single rate and i didnt have the 3 bills to get them redone by gt thunder. so i looked around for some cheap dual rate springs. the yfz450 spring is 1/2" shorter and 1/8" bigger but its dual rate and every one raves about the yfz plushness so id try. i got the springs off here for $40 and painted them red put them on. the 1/2" shortness was not a prob i just put the adjuster collor all the way down. i was worried about the 1/8" play(mostly up top) but i just beat them for 3 hours and the springs have settled in a nice way offcenter by 1-2 MM. i was going to change the shock oil to a lighter weight if needed but at speed the stock shock worked well it was just a little stiff even at zero pre load. so i figured that i would give them a try well the ride is awesome they are very plush. i have my comp about 1 turn in from soft rebound at full soft. im going to go in on the rebound cause i hit a bump wrong at high speed and it kinda poped up. i am amazed how much faster i can run and how much longer, its not as feteuging (sp) on you. the steering is way faster with these shocks too. this might be a good mod for the budget riders/racers.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/S4011126.jpg

imc188222
03-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Speedy 400ex
Hi i am new areound here.

any ways i have been wanting to do my front end for a wile now and 450 shocks, but i am like 130 pounds and it sounds like it will cost more to have them done then is would be to get this sistem I found on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRX400EX-400EX-2-1-A-ARMS-ELKA-SHOCKS-FULLFLIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q 2el1262QQcategoryZ43974QQihZ024QQitemZ370031431932

the elka shocks will be made for me before i even get them. and i get + 2 arms.

I weight 130# and the 450r fronts did not ride well with stock springs. They handled jumps and hard bumps much better than the stock 400ex shocks but on small stuff, washboard, potholes, roots, small bumps that you would not usually notice, they were very harsh. I ended up buying works triple rate spring kit for them and they work great now. Much better than before and no comparison to stock.

Speedy 400ex
03-19-2008, 07:03 PM
ok then how much will it cost to get a works spring kit? Cus i do mostly trail riding.

imc188222
03-20-2008, 07:54 AM
The works spring kit is $229 either directly from them or through ebay. Its a nice kit, they custom set them up for you based on your weight, type of riding, desired ride height and a-arm length. Fairly quick turnaround, it was shipped a couple days after ordering. You need a way to compress the springs in order to install them your self. Some strut spring compressors work, a shop press and a couple of plates work good or if you have the equipment and no-how a one can be fabricated pretty easily. Good kit though, I finally got some serious ride time in on mine and I love it. I ride mostly trails, fast.

Jnblaster05
03-27-2008, 07:56 PM
man i just put 450r shocks on with works triple rate springs i bought them off ebay this way and man was it easy to install and it rides awesome

bearair
03-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Got my new '07 450R shocks last night and mounted them up. Went riding after work today, and my first impression is that it was well worth the money just to put a set of stockers on. I'm about 240 with gear, and the springs are a little stiff for me. I'm thinking a progressive set would really help out here. Had to set the compression down to "soft" and I'm about 1/2 on the rebound. I may stiffen it up slightly.

My question is this. Having the fronts working better now, the rear wants to kick in the stutter bumps and harsh stuff. The front feels like it's planted MUCH better now and I'm sure it will be even better with revalves, but the rear is going to drive me crazy. What would any of you suggest to set it up? I had the compression turned down a bit in the rear and the rebound most of the way towards hard to make it work with the stock fronts, but now with the front so different, I'm wondering where I should go next with the rear shock. Thanks ahead of time!

STUNTIN400EX
04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
MY NEW SHOCKS!
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/NINJARDR91750/BIKE%20PICS/ATV%20PICS/IMG_0556.jpg
Could anyone give me any advice on set-up. i am 135 lbs. and ride xc. i am fully aware that the ride will be ruff but i don't have the money to have them revavled. any help would be great THANKS!

glamiskid395
04-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by STUNTIN400EX
MY NEW SHOCKS!
Could anyone give me any advice on set-up. i am 135 lbs. and ride xc. i am fully aware that the ride will be ruff but i don't have the money to have them revavled. any help would be great THANKS!

set the preload all the way up, so it sits as low as possible, then set the compression and rebound to the soft setting, you may have to fine tune the compression and rebound to where you like it. check your manual to see exactly how to tune the shocks
(the 450r fronts adjust the same as the 400ex rear)

i like mine, thats how i have mine set

04-04-2008, 05:43 PM
As of 5 minutes ago I just joined the 450r front crew.

STUNTIN400EX
04-05-2008, 04:07 PM
set up and installed my shocks and they're stiff as HELL!

04-05-2008, 04:18 PM

what year shocks?

400exMO
04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
yep soften all your settings as low as possible. I never got even close to rideable with my shocks. I switched to aftermarket. If you look on my first page you'll see I was initially impressed but not for long.

04-06-2008, 07:11 PM
yep soften all your settings as low as possible. I never got even close to rideable with my shocks. I switched to aftermarket. If you look on my first page you'll see I was initially impressed but not for long.

What year were your shocks?

04-12-2008, 01:47 PM
I got on my 450r front shocks. Imediately backed the preload all the way off and it wasnt as stiff as I thought they would be. I screwed the compression screw all the way out which is softer at least I think I couldnt tell by pushing the front end down. But then I turned the rebound softer and it made a pretty big difference. I havent had a ride test on them yet but I can tell by pushing on the front end vs my brothers 400ex with stock shocks I will have a much better ride. We ride pretty hard and race each other a lot and stock 400ex front shocks I couldnt stand. They were unforgivng if you hit a huge whoop all of a sudden or hit a jump. They would make you bounce around rarther than soak stuff up hence the "pogo stick" name for them. My brother thinks everything I do is wrong and everything I have done that he said was wrong was actually right and then he wants it. I guarantee as soon as he rides my quad to see what the shocks are like he will say I gotta get some new front shocks. How some say they are stiff I cant imagine they are that stiff when set up but it could be that riding fast and stuff you see the improvement and with lower speed its a bit stiffer. I have 2005 450r fronts because the 2006 and up they just put a heavier spring on them. I cant wait to get a ride test and I'm glad to have joined this club of 450r front shock users lol

zrpilot
04-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Just posted in the for sale section. all of you that say they are too stiff, here is your chance!
Springs for sale (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=346553)

Slapasack
04-15-2008, 11:49 PM
im sure this already been asked but i didnt feel like going through all the pages soo

would it be worth it to get 450r shocks without getting them resprung or revalved for my 400ex when i mostly just do trail riding, only hitting up the track every once and a while?

04-16-2008, 06:26 AM
i'll let you know how mine do trail riding this weekend. I set them up as best I could with the push on the front end and jump on the bumper feel and they seem pretty good with the compression all the way out and the preload all the way up and the rebound turned a half turn or so. The fine adjusting will begin when I am out riding but they dont seem that stiff.

NCRIDERED
04-17-2008, 02:44 PM
I acquired a set of 2006 450R shocks from a friend of mine that have never been out of the show room. They were brand new in the box. I put them on last week and backed the preload almost to the top of the threads. Once I did this my ride height measurement was the same in the front as the rear measurement. I then backed off the preload on the rear shock to lower my rear ride height 1/4" lower than the front ride height (per GT Thunder's instructions). I have the compression all the way out(Full Soft) and the Rebound almost all the way out (Full Soft). I read on GT Thunder's website that they suggest the rebound on your front shocks be softer(rebound faster) than the rear. I am going to ride on Sat. so I will give an update after I ride to post anymore adjustments I had to make. I mostly trail ride and occasionally hit the track. I am 6'3" 195lbs. Still may make further adjustments. My plan is to eventually send to them Santo Derisi Racing to get revalved and resprung, since they are in the state where I live. Everyone prefers different settings, but I thought I would share mine so far.

04-19-2008, 04:22 PM
I finally got to ride test my 450r front shocks. WOW!!! Much better. I starting riding saying these feel a bit better than stock but not a whole lot... that was until I rode my brothers 400ex with stock shocks and I said wow these are a huge improvement and the stuff i've been doing all day I wouldnt have been able to without these 450r fronts. Jumping, whoops, small bumps, it all had an improvement. You notice it more if you ride the same place with stock 400ex shocks and then ride the same place with 450r shocks. Great buy I recomend these! If your a slow rider I could see how they might be stiffer I mean look at how soft the 400ex shocks are. But for anyone that riders more agressive they make a world of a difference. I could hit big jumps or unbeleiveably huge whoops and they would soak it up. I now wonder how big I can go before I can bottom them out rather than how small do I have to go before I bottom these out when I had the stock shocks. The shocks look nicer too lol.

UNBROKEN
05-04-2008, 08:50 AM
^ thanks, now when i find a decent pair of 450r shcoks for sale that arent overpriced i just may buy them

05-15-2008, 02:27 PM
I adjusted my shock after I went riding last time because I knew what changes needed to be made. Today i went riding and they are even better than before. Everytime I adjust them or get them dialed in a little bit more you feel how plush they are. I was taking the whoops like nothing all day and I wasnt getting worn out or anything. And me adjusting the front it made the rear better because of the rake and the rebound difference between the 2. They truely are amazing everytime you get them 1 step closer to being dialed in for you you notice it. I can just cruise over the whoops without the front bouncing around or the back swapin around I just sail over them. If you find a pair less than $175 get them! Take them out a few times and adjust them see what works best and you wont be disappointed. It might be the greatest addition to how my quad performs and feels yet!

05-15-2008, 04:37 PM
another note to add after I was reading all these replies in this thread again. People say they are stiff? Deffinately not. You can adjust them pretty darn good. 1st time I was bottoming out pretty easy but still not as bad as stock. I set them up a little different ad I have the shocks dialed in pretty good and they are about right. I love watching my brother take the whoops with stock 400 fronts him bouncing like a rag doll if the front comes down and then I ride and its so smooth its incredible. R shocks ra enot too stiff with stock a-arm, just take the time to set them up.

Ruby Soho
05-17-2008, 02:03 PM
they are alittle on the stiff side, as far as large jumps go they work perfect, but small roots and rocks they aren't the greatest.

i could only imagine how well they'd perform after being sent to GT thunder

Tyson-T
05-20-2008, 09:24 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/TYSON-T/PIC_0342.jpg http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/TYSON-T/PIC_0343.jpg http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/TYSON-T/PIC_0344.jpg http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/TYSON-T/PIC_0345.jpg http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/TYSON-T/PIC_0346.jpg

Tyson-T
05-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Just got my frame welded back together!! and gotta test my new shocks!
havn't even touched them and they ride awsome, takes the whoops lika champ too:muscle:

TunedPerforman
06-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I just installed a set of works tripple rate spings last week! Went for a ride today and may this works awesome, have the preload adjust all the way off and shocks are not revaleved and I was able to tune them in, not bad for a light weight 150lb....:D

skomar
07-08-2008, 07:00 AM
I install 450r shocks and it did pick the front end up, and even after loosening them half way. I weight about 250lbs and have never bottomed them out from jumping, this was a very wise upgrade for less then 200 bucks and a lil elbow grease making them fit.

Speedy 400ex
09-01-2008, 01:33 PM
i just got my set for $100!!!:eek:

Speedy 400ex
09-01-2008, 08:11 PM
the install when smooth. i dident end up needing to gring the shock down at all. i just ground down the nut that is welded on for the fender bracket

Pipeless416
09-15-2008, 04:08 PM
i FINALLY got my triple rate springs from works :)

Ruby Soho
09-16-2008, 06:30 AM
those looks awesome pipeless, how do they ride?

Pipeless416
09-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
those looks awesome pipeless, how do they ride?

thanks, but sadly i won't find out until about mid october when i go home. i brought my shocks back to school with me so i could clean them up and use the press to get the springs on (which i didn't need because it can be done by hand.) i'll be sure to write about it then, because i didn't see any other reviews on them.

Ruby Soho
09-16-2008, 09:38 AM
aw man that must be harsh:(

the colors will flow with your quad for sure though:devil:

Pipeless416
09-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
aw man that must be harsh:(

the colors will flow with your quad for sure though:devil:

i usually cry myself to sleep :p

spearman_929
10-10-2008, 10:11 PM
i just 06 z400 shocks on my 07 400 ex and i love them they are just like the 450r but the ressi is on the side not back . but for sure they are worth the money and time on a budget.

bigredisb
10-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey pipeless416. How long did it take to get your Works springs from Works? I ordered mine on Monday and it sounds like I might get them by next Friday. I ordered the same colors as yours and I am really looking forward to getting them.

Pipeless416
11-08-2008, 11:19 AM
i didn't look when your post was made, but i will never order anything from them again. it took like 3 weeks and a few angry phone calls to get them. they also tried to screw me on shipping.

tri5ron
11-08-2008, 11:07 PM
pipeless,
pm sent.

bigredisb
11-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
i didn't look when your post was made, but i will never order anything from them again. it took like 3 weeks and a few angry phone calls to get them. they also tried to screw me on shipping. im sure you'll like them, but im selling mine now. they're just a little too soft for what i need. anybody want a set of works triple rate springs? click the link in my sig or PM me.

Dont feel like your the only one! I got screwed as well with poor service unless you talk to Sandy. He was the only one that helped a lot and really knows what he is talking about. Once I finally got them I got the wrong color as well (black instead of red intermediate) but not a huge deal. They said they were sending me a set of red ones but I still havent seen them yet. They are soft but I havent bottomed mine. They really are nice and I am glad I got them. Just dont be in a hurry to get them. Plan on at least three weeks to get them.

Gibson
11-10-2008, 08:38 PM
i finally got mine, and it rides a whole lot better than the stockers.

93 red ls
11-18-2008, 05:57 PM
just got me a set off an 08 R with zero ride time on them so should be nice

RaceinCircles
11-20-2008, 09:19 PM
If you're looking for some 450r shocks, you should check E-bay soon. There are 2 very nice sets on there for pretty cheap as of now. One set is right around $125 with about a day left! If I had money to spare, they would be mine!

Pipeless416
11-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by RaceinCircles
If you're looking for some 450r shocks, you should check E-bay soon. There are 2 very nice sets on there for pretty cheap as of now. One set is right around $125 with about a day left! If I had money to spare, they would be mine!

you're probably the seller lol. seriously though, they'll go up.

RaceinCircles
11-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Haha...Good point, but I'm actually not. By the sounds of this forum, I need to get a pair for myself!

sc400ex_rider
11-24-2008, 05:26 AM
i seen a set sell on ebay for $102.50 + ship not to long ago. just keep trying the prices fluctuate alot.

12-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Their should be a "yfz450 shocks on 400ex" thread since the yfz450 shocks work way better for mx than 450r's and with the yfz450s you can actually lower or rase the ride hight for mx, 450r's just make you taller and can wear out the ball joints and only add .2 travle over stock.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/blue450yo/quad/4wheeler059.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/blue450yo/quad/4wheeler100.jpg

3or4HONDA
01-04-2009, 06:51 AM
i got my 450 shocks on and install went pretty smooth. The first side i put on def grindin to much until i figured out it wasnt the shock that needed more grinding but the tab on the frame, 2 seconds later it fit perfect.

do these shocks make the front set a little higher? or was it just an illusion.

to bad i wont be able to really test them out for another 3 or 4 months :(

Tyson-T
01-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah, they make the from sit up quite a bit.

01-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Tyson-T
Yeah, they make the from sit up quite a bit.

no, they can make it sit lower than stock 400ex fronts or higher than stock or at the stock ride height.

Tyson-T
01-06-2009, 09:05 PM
no, they can make it sit lower than stock 400ex fronts or higher than stock or at the stock ride height.

I have mine adjusted all the way up, and there still taller than stock.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/TYSON-T/PIC_0343.jpg

01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Tyson-T
I have mine adjusted all the way up, and there still taller than stock.

thats odd because if I adjust mine preload backed all the way off it sits a little lower. I run mine at 12.5" from ground to bottom of the frame right where the bumper is. Stock was 12" I think I have my preload collars so 2 threads are showing above it?

akrowdieEX
01-08-2009, 08:37 AM
i just got a pair of 450 shocks and i'm hoping to put them on tonight.. earlier in the thread there was talk about using carriage bolts.. can anyone tell me what size and length i'm gunna want?? so i'll be good to go tonight.. thanks

redrocker
01-08-2009, 10:25 AM
I knocked off the spot welded
nut and used 1/4-20 button
head screws I also ground
the little of bracket at the radius
on the inside not much just
enough so I could swing the
the in a little so it would clear
while travel

akrowdieEX
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
1/4-20 great thanks.. but wat did you grind?? is it nescessary?

sc400ex_rider
01-08-2009, 12:15 PM
yes, you need to grind a little off the top of the shock were it will hit the button head that keeps it from lining up. you will also need to grind a little (2-3MM)off the front (or maybe rear) shock mount pocket where the shock will hit, also not letting the bolt holes up. its a little bit of a fit and grind, fit and grind thing but very easy. also if you back off the spring preload adjuster it makes them not so stiff for lighter riders.

redrocker
01-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I didn't grind the shock
it was the shock bracket
on the frame I just radius
it bigger you don't have to
take off alot just enough
so the shock swings in
toward the frame

Speedy 400ex
01-08-2009, 04:11 PM
i dident have to grind the shock at all. I I found that one could ground down the nut that is welded on for the fender mounts, but still have enough left to use the nut. It works great. I still had to cut the upper shock mount though.

iownatoyota
02-23-2009, 10:24 AM
just got a set of front 05 450r shocks and the carb for $150 from a buddy to put on my 03 400. was wondering if they will work good for a 275 lb rider, and i have omf scoops on there, was wondering f they will clear, or fit inside the shroud maybe?

any input would be nice,
thanks, brad

hilltop_83
02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I dont know if this will work but has anybody tried putting the 450R shocks on any long travel a arms?? i am getting houser +3 long travel a arms and want to go the cheaper way with shocks until i get some more money. Hopefully somebody has tried this!!

Tyson-T
02-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by hilltop_83
I dont know if this will work but has anybody tried putting the 450R shocks on any long travel a arms?? i am getting houser +3 long travel a arms and want to go the cheaper way with shocks until i get some more money. Hopefully somebody has tried this!!

They probly could work but it would be super low to the ground and not long travel at all...

hilltop_83
02-23-2009, 09:33 PM
alright. ill see if i can find someone with long travel shocks for sale then.

iownatoyota
02-24-2009, 06:40 PM
anyone run these with scoops? wondering if they will clear my omf shrouds....

ned02
03-03-2009, 04:01 PM
I just got my shocks in the mail 30 minutes ago and they are mounted!Just knocked off the nut(and replaced ) that holds the plastics bracket and they mounted right up. I have cooler scoops on mine and they clear with no problem.Now I jusy have to find time to ride and try them out.

woodsracer188
03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
I , myself am truly a fan of the YFZ front shocks. I've had 450r , and ohlins on it.. Than I had an extra set of YFZ shocks laying around so I measured , grinded , fitted.. Than I put a lowering link in the rear and lowered it about 1.5" , the front shocks are about an 1" or so lower I adjusted the shocks to my liking.. put some 22" front tires , 21" rear... and I can't find anything that would make me dislike this set up. Stock a arms (but with offset rims front and rear to make it a touch wider)... I've found the set up to be great in hare scrambles or on a MX track and i'm a fat dude (250lbs).
Of course this is just my opinion

03-29-2009, 10:57 PM
What kind of difference do these shocks make? Smoother ride? stiffer? better handling? Better for mx? Better for trails?

I ride trails. Some are crazy bumpy, some are not... Would you guys recommend this mod to a trail rider?

03-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by 0101
What kind of difference do these shocks make? Smoother ride? stiffer? better handling? Better for mx? Better for trails?

I ride trails. Some are crazy bumpy, some are not... Would you guys recommend this mod to a trail rider?

They are whatever you want them to be. All the way soft they are very smooth. Cranked up hard they are good for jumps but rough on the small stuff. THe nice part is they flow over bumps rather than hop the front end like the stock 400ex front shocks.

03-30-2009, 05:20 PM
So on the softest setting, it will be much smoother than stock on the softest setting?

03-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by 0101
So on the softest setting, it will be much smoother than stock on the softest setting?

they wont be as harsh how stock shocks rebound so quick.

SPDSNYPR
04-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Put on a set of 450r shocks yesterday, and took it out to the track today. Noticable difference. Does sit up a bit higher in front, but sure does soak up the bumps and landings better. Installation was a snap. Really glad I put them on.

Now to work on getting the rear revalved and resprung. :D

Kalejime
05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Stupid question?

Whats the best hardware for griding this?

Is $380 too expensive for a set of two?

Kalejime
05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Another stupid question... how much higher will it be?

ned02
05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
There is no grinding needed,just knock off the welded nut for the plastics mount and just add a screw/bolt with a thinner head and put the nut on the top side, I got my 450 shocks for $130.00,just look around here or on craigslist and you can find them for $200 or less. It only raises it about an inch.

smokindw
05-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
there isnt a lot of pre load on the 450r shock, and depending on your weight you may be able to adjust it to suit you. Id say if your above 180 , the works dspring kit would be all you would need for trails. As far as the compression settings, just play with the settings and see what you like best.
Where can i find the works dspring kit for the 400???

RAPER
05-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Just put on a set on my 400ex and there was barely any grinding I had to do. Simple bench grinder to the shock eyelet to knock down a little material and I used a dremmel sanding drum for the inside section of the upper shock mount bracket. Paid $190 shipped for mine off of ebay. I weigh in the upper 280's and find the shocks to do quite well in trail's and jumps (not scared to get my ex airborn at all).

smokindw
06-04-2009, 12:42 PM
now how exactly do u adjust the top of the shock?? do u move the gold colored flathead screw or do u mone the bigger bolt that is around the small gold screw??

smokindw
06-04-2009, 12:43 PM
here is another

Pappy
06-04-2009, 12:52 PM
smokindw-most aftermarket shops can get you the spring kit

the upper adjustment is for your compression and the lower (bottom of shock) is for rebound

smokindw
06-04-2009, 12:59 PM
thanks pappy but on the top do i move the gold flathead screw or the outer kinda looking lock nut to adjust the compression??

Pappy
06-04-2009, 01:02 PM
You adjust the settings with a flatblade screwdriver. The nut doesnt get touched!

smokindw
06-04-2009, 01:11 PM
pappy thank u very much!! I just wanted 2 say that i have only been a part of this 400 family 4 bout 4 months now and i love this place and the ppl r wonderfull!! Thanks again

clarence
07-16-2009, 01:14 PM
im still trying to decide between the yfz's or the r's. i am only fifteen so i wont be able to revalve/reshock for a while. I am leaning toward the yfz's cuz i only way 135 in full gear and heard the r's are stiff even for a 200 pound rider. is that the right choice? STOCK for STOCK? I ride dunes and race.

iownatoyota
07-17-2009, 12:59 PM
well ill tell ya there a lil on the stiff side but for a 280lb rider they ride a hell of alot better than the pogo sticks that were on there and i barley did any grinding to get mine to bolt up.

mjc400ex
08-06-2009, 06:16 AM
I am looking at a full set of 450r shocks on craigslist for my 400ex.
Will the rear shock fit too?
The guy didn't have a price how much should I offer.
They were used like twice and then swapped for aftermarket.

05honda400ex
08-09-2009, 06:50 PM
does any one have any front 450 shocks tht i could buy

hondarace83
08-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Was the 400ex shocks you took off stocked and then you went to aftermarker 450R shocks? I was just wondering because im looking to change out my stock 400ex shocks to axis shocks and axis doesnt currently have 450R shocks. So would going with 450R shocks or 400 axis shocks be better?

F-16Guy
08-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by clarence
im still trying to decide between the yfz's or the r's. i am only fifteen so i wont be able to revalve/reshock for a while. I am leaning toward the yfz's cuz i only way 135 in full gear and heard the r's are stiff even for a 200 pound rider. is that the right choice? STOCK for STOCK? I ride dunes and race.
With my quad (+2 arms and stock 450R shocks) and my wife's (bone stock) side by side, hers actually feels like the spring rate is stiffer, but the damping is much, much lighter, so it feels very springy. If you get +2 arms and turn the rebound and compression to full light, I think they'll be a great improvement for you. The YZF shocks require some extensive grinding to mount, and they're too soft and short, especially if you have or are considering +2 arms. Some people might disagree, but I think the 450R shocks are a much better option.

Muzzgit
08-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Hey guys, G'day from Australia.

I have just done this mod with +2+1 A-Arms and I think I have gone too far!

My mechanic suggested sticking with stock shocks with +2+1 A-Arms. He said it makes the stock shock work a bit harder and smoothes out the rough ride. I thought I'd be smart and add the 450R shocks but it has upset the quad's handling when cornering.

Sure, it handles whoops and rough tracks better but it has changed the whole balance and the back end now loops out to the point of being dangerous.

Powerslides are now really hard to control, even at high speeds.

I have contacted GTThunder and I will see what they say. I'll also contact my mech amd see what adjustments can be made.

Muzzgit
08-18-2009, 01:09 AM
OK, GTThunder have confirmed my suspicions....... +2+1 A-Arms can upset the ballance.

+2+0 is better

450R shocks are ok with extended A-Arms if they are re sprung to suit.:(

luckily my A-Arms are adjustable so we should be able sort it out plus maybe lower the front a bit.

My mech has relieved my concerns a little. he says we can sort it out. Phew!

Ryan'07400ex
08-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Muzzgit
OK, GTThunder have confirmed my suspicions....... +2+1 A-Arms are the wrong way to go for a TRX400EX.

+2+0 is fine.

450R shocks are ok with stock A-Arms if they are re sprung to suit.:(

Back to the drawing board!! :ermm:

I don't see why one inch would affect it that much and it seems like the 450r shocks would be good with plus 2's without revalve and resping.

Ryan'07400ex
08-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex
I don't see why one inch would affect it that much and it seems like the 450r shocks would be good with plus 2's without revalve and resping.

I think I will just forget about the a arms for a while only about 10% of my riding is on the track the other 90 is trails.
I may go ahead and get the 450r shocks if you they are better than stock.
I'm 15, and 102 pounds so I still have a bit to grow... will the 450 shocks be worse for me you think?
If I did put them on is the extra height really noticeable? I don't want to feel top heavy. I most likely wont respring.

Thanks

Muzzgit
08-18-2009, 07:24 PM
My advice is to proceed one step at a time.

The 400EX is a well ballanced bike, I should have had the stock shocks re valved and re sprung instead of what I went ahead with.

We don't have access to people like GThunder in Australia, I wish there was someone like that here.

I think there are two good but different setups which can be acheived on a budget....

1. Stock A-Arms with 450R shocks.

2. +2 A-Arms with re-worked 400EX shocks.

For trail riding and dunes, which is what I do, this is fine. If you are going to full-on race then this set up will be inadequate and you would need to spend big $$$$ to get it right.

Ba9801
08-24-2009, 06:25 PM
I just won a set of 450r fronts on ebay, $210.00 shipped. I am sending them out to GT Thunder to be re-valved & re-sprung, Should have them back in about 10 days or so.
:)

Bill Martin
09-22-2009, 07:23 AM
In 08 I ran a 400ex with stock shocks and did very well, Won my series.

When I put a Elka on the rear it made the biggest difference in the corners.
It stays flat in the corners with almost no body roll.
As for going big I can't see much deference from the stock shock.

But then again 100' tables are about my limit.

The Elka I found through the GCQRA used for $300.
Had it revalved and serviced for $60.
For a totle of $360.

Found a set of new never used 450 shocks for the frunt for $100.

For a total of $460. for all three.

I put the 450's on as stock but now the 09 season is over I'll have them redone for next season.

guenther
09-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Got my 450R shocks on last night in about 10 minutes. I've got another set that need to be rebuilt that I'm going to be putting on eBay shortly. Here are my easy steps to replacing for those who don't want to look through 10 pages:

-put front end on stand or a big cooler :)
-take off 10mm bolt holding plastic mount
-take off nuts (14mm) on upper and lower mount and pull out bolts
-take Dremel with cutting blade and cut a small slit in the welded nut under the mounting point that held the plastics
-put a flat screwdriver in the slit and give a few hits with the hammer
-clean up remain weld with Dremel
-put a small round head bolt from the bottom of mount and secure plastics bracket with a nut on top.
-install the new shock with 14mm nut and bolt

It's very easy and no need to grind the shocks at all.

Ba9801
09-25-2009, 07:01 PM
I put my GT Thunder 450R Conversion shocks on last night and wow what a difference in the ride and handling. This is a great upgrade over the stock shock set up. I am running on stock A-arms.
I am thinking about getting a set for my wife's 400ex as well.

87HONDATRX250X
11-26-2009, 02:32 PM
How would these be for track riding with +3 burgards a-arms? Ive heard alot of people saying there to stiff.

Ncboost
11-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by 87HONDATRX250X
How would these be for track riding with +3 burgards a-arms? Ive heard alot of people saying there to stiff.

No they will be perfect on +2s or +3s. Thats what I have. Even if you are a light rider, you'll be fine,

93ssp
12-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Are any of you guys running the yfz450's on your 400 with +2 long travel arms?

stephen_87_87
12-30-2009, 10:30 PM
question: now how would you do the rear shock??

rmcfadden68
02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by AR15 guy
I got mine for 183$ shipped from paypal.

Watched several sets go for ~230$ + shipping so I did ok.
just got mine for 177.50 also paypal

rmcfadden68
02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by AR15 guy
I got mine for 183$ shipped from paypal.

Watched several sets go for ~230$ + shipping so I did ok.
just got mine for 177.50 also paypal

bkelley
02-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Got my KFXs off a brand new '09 (hadn't even been started) for $150 shipped.

Just thought I'd share since everyone else is.

Originally posted by stephen_87_87
question: now how would you do the rear shock??
The rear will bolt right on to the stock linkage. Or, you can use the 450r linkage which will lower it about an inch or so.

goldfish
02-08-2010, 02:15 PM
I am considering this mod, I have stock A-arms.

I'd say I am 90% trails and 10% MX (for fun, not competitively) and am also getting into harescrambles this summer.

I've read a few different people saying that this mod is only good for MX racing and huge jumps..but It seems to me that better suspension = better handling in all types of terrain?

Anyone have any input on whether or not this mod would be worth it for me?

87HONDATRX250X
02-08-2010, 02:28 PM
I ride a lot of track and am looking at getting to racing. Iv heard the 450r shocks are pretty stiff. Ive been looking into the yfz 450 shocks. I heard the fz shocks are better for mx seeing that it lowers the quad a bit and you can adjust alot on them. What do you guys think?

jtalleman
02-21-2010, 06:46 AM
i just picked me up an 08 pair for my 03 bike that are brand new for 200 cant wait to try them out

Muzzgit
02-25-2010, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by 87HONDATRX250X
I ride a lot of track and am looking at getting to racing. Iv heard the 450r shocks are pretty stiff. Ive been looking into the yfz 450 shocks. I heard the fz shocks are better for mx seeing that it lowers the quad a bit and you can adjust alot on them. What do you guys think?

Personally I think a good idea is to get the 450R shocks and send them to GGThunder or one of the many shock builders and have them re-sprung re-valved to suit your weight and riding style. Then you will have a brilliant setup.

87HONDATRX250X
03-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Muzzgit
Personally I think a good idea is to get the 450R shocks and send them to GGThunder or one of the many shock builders and have them re-sprung re-valved to suit your weight and riding style. Then you will have a brilliant setup.

How much would that cost to set it up for track riding and im about 135 lbs.

terboed
03-17-2010, 08:54 PM
I got a like new set off a 04 for $100.

Craigslist is a wonderfull thing!

No need to grind off the top of the shock. just bend back the piece of the upper shock mount that hits the shock.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/terboed/img1268880569545.jpg

dankbud42o
07-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by terboed
I got a like new set off a 04 for $100.

Craigslist is a wonderfull thing!

No need to grind off the top of the shock. just bend back the piece of the upper shock mount that hits the shock.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/terboed/img1268880569545.jpg

just got mine off an 05 brand new for 85 of craigslist :D

berryj189
01-27-2011, 10:09 PM
just bought some 450R shocks off a guy around town for 200$ that were off an 08. I thought it was a good deal considering that the cheapest I saw on ebay were 250$. I pretty much read the whole thread before I installed them today. It was so easy Ray Charles could have done it. I chose not to grind on my shocks. I knocked the tack welded nut off with a hammer and screwdriver. bought two button bolts as suggested. installed the bolts upsidedown with the nut on the top. used a dremel tool on the frame. I know, some may think that weakens the frame, but it was a very very small 90 degree notch in the bracket under the shock bolt hole. If the frame breaks, it will give me a good reason to buy a 450R. lol
I would say the whole process took about 30 minutes.

Mr-Sleeper-34
05-10-2011, 09:47 AM

Mr-Sleeper-34
05-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Ok, I read the first 20 pages of this thread and decided to go ahead and post. I'm going to do the 450r front shock upgrade, but do you think I should get some after market springs? If so, what brand do you recommend and is it a 'must' to have them revalved?

-mr34-

tri5ron
05-10-2011, 10:30 AM
using the aftermarket springs depends on a few of things.

1- your a-arm length
2- your riding weight
3- your type of riding

On stock a-arms, with the OEM 450r Springs, with no revalving, they are STILL a HUGE improvement... but some people (myself included), feel they are a bit too stiff.
Aftermarket Springs, selected for your rider weight turns them into a Cadillac ride, over all types of terrain, at any speed.
(I chose the Works Triple Rates),(and yes, I am running the stock a-arms).

No,... it is not a "Must" to revalve them. that would just be the "icing on the cake".
(I do not have mine revalved, and am perfectly happy with them now).

If you are planning on running +2" a-arms, then they work pretty well with the OEM 450r springs.
Again, Aftermarket springs set to your rider weight AND your a-arm length,.. will only make it even BETTER.

So first, you need to determine your type of riding.

I.E.- Trail/Woods - MX - XC/GNCC.

This will help to determine if you need +2 arms. (MX riders like wider arms - Trail riders like stock arms due to narrower tighter trails).

I, for example am a Trail/Woods rider, I never ride a MX track, and I ride in some Seriously rough/rocky terrain.

My rider weight is 185-195 lbs.
I run stock a-arms, with the Works springs at the 600/600/215 combo.
No revalving.

They are plenty fine for me, and are a 10,000% improvement over the stock 400EX Pogo Sticks.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8839.jpg

The guys at Works will be able to help you determine what spring combo will be best for your particular set-up, a-arms, weight, riding style.

I also have a CCP steering stabilizer that just tops off the package to it's finest. I could not be happier with how it handels.

The shocks will soak up ANYTHING I throw at them, and the stabilizer keeps the bike going in what direction the handlebars are pointed.
(no bump steer).
I can ride fast for HOURS with no fatigue or "arm pump", and that's pretty good for an old fart like me. (I'm 50 years old).

Here's an old thread from when many of us were jumping on the bandwagon with the CCP Stabilizer. Read it, enjoy it, and choose accordingly.
Hope you enjoy...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349366&highlight=stabilizer

Mr-Sleeper-34
05-10-2011, 11:49 AM
- Wow. +rep on your reply bro. I think the stock shocks/springs combo on the stock a-arms will be good enough for me. I will be doing trail / open field riding mostly. Feedback has been top notch on here so far. Thanks a lot guys.

ford5000
03-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Hey Guys

I installed a set of 2005 450R shocks on my 2006 400EX last night and was amazed at how easy it was.

I knocked off the nuts situated in the mounting and used a flat head bolt with lock nut inserted from the bottom of the mounting to secure the plastics as was recommended in the Forum.

The eyes of both shocks needed to be grinded very little for them to fit into the mounting.

It feels like I did something wrong because unlike in previous attempts at working on my own atv/quad, I never swore and never needed a hammer to loosen something or to force it in somewhere.

Can't wait to test out and start setting the shocks tomorrow. Will return with feedback (hopefully positive) and photos

Thanks for all the info, hints and tips guys.

Mr-Sleeper-34
03-30-2012, 08:26 AM
- My 450r shocks install was easy as well. I didn't have to grind on anything.

07RedRider400
04-06-2012, 08:34 AM
i know this thread is kinda old, but i have the opportunity to pick up a set of front (i believe '05) 450r shocks for $115 locally, and i saw how they raise ride height by up to an inch over the 400ex shocks, is there anyway to lower the ride height with only adjustment and without modifying the shock? Also, with the a-arms being pulled down an inch farther from before that would make the front end narrower overall correct?

Drfat400ex
04-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by 07RedRider400
i know this thread is kinda old, but i have the opportunity to pick up a set of front (i believe '05) 450r shocks for $115 locally, and i saw how they raise ride height by up to an inch over the 400ex shocks, is there anyway to lower the ride height with only adjustment and without modifying the shock? Also, with the a-arms being pulled down an inch farther from before that would make the front end narrower overall correct? Yes it would make it narrower, I have no idea about the rest of the stuff you said though lol.

TheAwesomehonda
04-06-2012, 10:56 AM
i know this thread is kinda old, but i have the opportunity to pick up a set of front (i believe '05) 450r shocks for $115 locally, and i saw how they raise ride height by up to an inch over the 400ex shocks, is there anyway to lower the ride height with only adjustment and without modifying the shock? Also, with the a-arms being pulled down an inch farther from before that would make the front end narrower overall correct? Turn the preload all the way out and it will be softer or did you already do that?

CJM
04-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Gonna be taller no matter what you do b/c the shocks physically longer, it isnt much-maybe an inch. Cant lower the shock anyway unless its shortened, you can turn the preload all the way up and it will help some tho.

duneslider
04-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Mine measured exactly the same before and after. I wonder if all shocks aren't the same.

07RedRider400
04-07-2012, 05:16 PM
turn preload all the way up or down to make it sag more? Ive never messed with compression/rebound/preload so any tips or help would be much appreciated

So the 450r shocks really make a difference in performance then huh?

Drfat400ex
04-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Man I love my yfz shocks! Probably the best thing I've did for my quad other than a slip-on. Rode my buds 400ex over my one jump, nosedived a bit, and I thought I was gonna die!! He jumped myn, did a huuuuge diver, nothin. He came up to me and was like, when I get home, I'm going on eBay and looking for some of these!!

TheAwesomehonda
04-07-2012, 05:44 PM
turn preload all the way up or down to make it sag more? Ive never messed with compression/rebound/preload so any tips or help would be much appreciated

So the 450r shocks really make a difference in performance then huh? Sorry if you confused you.. I ment preload all the way up is more sag.

07RedRider400
04-08-2012, 11:58 AM
its alright man, but yea i think im gonna get them i mean $115 seems like a good deal to me and the shocks look nice in way better shape than a lot of ones on pull-a-part sites. that go for $250+
and so these shocks are really a lot better than the stock 400ex's?

TheAwesomehonda
04-08-2012, 01:53 PM
its alright man, but yea i think im gonna get them i mean $115 seems like a good deal to me and the shocks look nice in way better shape than a lot of ones on pull-a-part sites. that go for $250+
and so these shocks are really a lot better than the stock 400ex's? Yeah I payed 190 for mean and that is kinda the going rate for nice 450r shocks. I wouldn't get any that have rust cuz they don't look good and usually would be more worn out. As for the performance I would only get them if you do jumping. If your just trail riding i wouldn't get them cuz there prity stiff. Although alot of people like them alot for trail ride.

07RedRider400
04-08-2012, 06:38 PM
yea these have no rust or anything very clean. and i had to talk the guy into selling them because he was going to keep them as a spare if something happened to his built shocks. I do a wide variety of riding but a good amount of trails, I just tighten up my stock shocks and im not a fan of how now they rebound harder.

duneslider
04-08-2012, 06:41 PM
I didn't notice much difference at the dunes but finally got out to the trails. I actually really liked them on the trails. I do weigh 180 without gear, probably 200 with gear. So, for me it seems great. I was kind of skeptical.

TheAwesomehonda
04-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Well if you bottom out or fell out of control with the stock shocks then i'd go with the 450r shocks.. If not and your hoping for a smoother ride i think you may be unhappy with them. Will really if your an agressive trail rider you should have them.

07RedRider400
04-09-2012, 07:52 AM
well i defiantly dont putt around on trails, and i hit jumps or go on tracks whenever i can

TheAwesomehonda
04-09-2012, 09:32 AM
well i defiantly dont putt around on trails, and i hit jumps or go on tracks whenever i can Yeah i think they would be a great idea for you.

07RedRider400
04-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by yfzfelix
no need to grind this either, go look at the bracket on a 450r and cut yours to match, very simple and cleaner than a Mr. Grinder job

i know this post is old,

but by bracket do you mean grind the shock mounting bracket that is welded to the frame? and where can i find a pic of a 450r's?

CJM
04-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Its easy if you have the shock and quad with you.

Knock the nut off the bottom of the shock mount (its for the plastics. Then take some carriage bolts and put them facing up and put a nylock nut with washer. Then put a regular nut between them and the mount.

Relieving the frame is easy, put the shock on, notice where it hits on the back of the top mount. Grind the frame for all of 30 secs.

This is much cleaner than grinding the shock up.

RATHRACING450R
03-31-2014, 12:33 PM
i have either +2 or +3 burgard a-arms on my 440ex unsure of length because previous didnt know can anyone tell me how to find out for sure? i have a set of stock 450r shocks i plan to install because the works triple rate shocks that were on the quad are blown out... is it possible for me to install the triple rate springs from my works shocks onto the 450r shocks for my setup? this would mean i would be taking the triple rate springs off of my 400ex works shock bodies and installing them on the 450r shocks.... will this work? how do you figure out how much weight your springs are rated for?

Muzzgit
04-01-2014, 08:11 AM
I suggest you don't guess with this!

Take the Works shocks off and send them off to someone for a service. You need to let them know your weight with your riding gear on and what kind of riding you do. You will end up with a much better result than trying to mix and match springs/shocks. If you plan to keep the 450R shocks you need to make sure they are long enough for the a-arms, so once again you need to contact an ATV susspension guru to help sort it out. They can also help you set the "ride height" and "race sag".