PDA

View Full Version : Why revalve?

N400Ex
10-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Sounds like a dumb question since so many people post threads about it, but... can someone tell me why you would revalve a shock and wut it does for you? Thanks-

theTman
10-18-2005, 07:15 PM
gets it set for your weight

Ex: say your 150lbs..and the shock is valved for 250lbs, the ride isnt going to be as smooth unless it was valved for your weight

someone correct me if im wrong

10-19-2005, 05:17 AM
Your correct. You want to be able to use the entire shock travel and have a good progression rate so it doesn't wear you out. It makes a HUGE difference having a correctly setup shock.

wilkin250r
10-19-2005, 03:38 PM
There is more to a shock than just a spring.

Inside the shock is oil, and as your shock compresses, that oil is pushed through a series of valves, and it provides resistance and damping.

That oil helps absorb some of the "hit", but it must be very precise, and it depends on the particular valving. If it doesn't absorb enough energy, your shocks are too soft and will bottom out easily. If it absorbs too much energy, your shocks feel stiff.

The stock shocks are rather generic, and don't perform nearly as well as aftermarket shocks. With proper valving and springs, a set of aftermarket can be softer on small stuff, giving you a smoother ride, but also able to handle harder landings without bottoming out. You truly can get the best of both worlds.

JOEX
10-19-2005, 04:53 PM
When does it become neccessary to respring a shock?

wilkin250r
10-19-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm not a shock expert, so I can't say for certain.

However, I have a feeling that it would be necessary to respring a shock when you make a MAJOR change, like going from stock to +3 a-arms.

Also, you might change them if you are setting up for a different type of riding. Dune riding and MX riding probably use different springs, especially if they are dual or triple-rate. The heavy spring might stay the same, but I would imagine the light springs would change.