PDA

View Full Version : Chain Adjustment

LuckyCharms
10-18-2005, 03:31 PM
I have a 400ex with a JD swingarm and burgard bearing carrier - when I go to adjust the chain and rotate the bearing carrier it just moves the axle up and down - the chain does not get tighter or loosen at all - this is with one quarter to one third rotation of the carrier on the axle - what could be my problem? :(

ZSK
10-18-2005, 03:56 PM
You may be at one extreme or the other. Either the chain is too short or it is stretched too much. You will notice the most movement in the center of the two extremes. Keep turning it. If you notice no change, check for play in your pivot bearings. They may be moving enough to mask any other movements.

LuckyCharms
10-18-2005, 05:02 PM
chain is fine - its brand new - its too long right now but if I cut a link off it will be way too short - the bearings are new

BLACKeR
10-18-2005, 05:12 PM
tapered bearing carrier by any chance? sounds like it. they have very little adjustment. i had a tapered bearing carrier, and when i tried switching front sprockets, one link made it too long or too short. i ditched it and got a dual row. tapered last longer, but they are a PITA

LuckyCharms
10-18-2005, 09:55 PM
it says on burgard's site that its a twin row