PDA

View Full Version : 426 into a stroker? i searched

03pissedoff426
10-17-2005, 08:09 PM
i havn't seen anyone with a 426 that has a stroker crank in it. and from what i was reading i would have to goto a 440 to use the stroker crank, WHY? can't i just put a stroker crank in my 426? if not, why not?

mikeboone
10-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 03pissedoff426
i havn't seen anyone with a 426 that has a stroker crank in it. and from what i was reading i would have to goto a 440 to use the stroker crank, WHY? can't i just put a stroker crank in my 426? if not, why not?

You could do a stroker crank on the stock piston if you wanted. The problem runs into you need to run a shorter rod with that. Powroll makes the Tough rod that is already 4mm shorter and you can bolt to any piston though you may have to cut the piston skirt some.

Finding a 88mm stroker piston that you could use with stroked crank and STOCK length rod may be tricky. Most companies require min of 4 purchase for special order.

K_Fulk
10-17-2005, 08:49 PM
You can do it. you can pretty much go with anything from a +0mm stroke to + 7mm stroke with anything from a 85mm piston to a 92mm piston.

UglyMotha™
10-18-2005, 06:06 PM
i''ve gotta 416 with a 7mm stroke, stock rod lenght i have a custom piston though the wrist pin is offset, no reason to change rod length

wilkin250r
10-19-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm not an expert on the 400EX, so I don't know this for a fact, but I DO know a thing or two about engines. ;)

The issue may not be what is possible, but rather what is available.

It's certainly possible to build a stroker motor with a 426 piston. However, stroking a motor isn't just as simple as a new crank. There are many clearance issues to work out, like making sure the piston doesn't come up too far, or that the piston skirt does not hit the crank on the downstroke. It also depends on the particular length rod you use.

It's possible that nobody MAKES a 426 piston to be used with a stroker crank.

In all reality, this is the most likely scenario. Even though it's possible, nobody makes that particular setup because most people don't do it. If you're going to go through the expense of a stroker, why not go with a 440 piston at the same time, and get even more power?