PDA

View Full Version : Gussets for a 300ex frame

bigvforcer
10-17-2005, 02:38 PM
I am going to be taking apart my little brothers 300ex this winter for a rebuild suspension wise. This past January we did the motor and this year we have a-arms, shocks, swingarm, and powdercoat in mind.

While the frame is stripped I would like to strengthen it as I also ride it occasionally and he wants to XC and MX a little next year. Does anyone have any pictures or can anyone tell me the places I should gussett on the frame to prevent any major damage.

Thanks for your help!

bigvforcer
10-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Also, how wide will +2's make the 300ex? I am sure nowhere near 50" but I just want to be sure.

exman
10-17-2005, 07:42 PM
+3 long shock arms

exman
10-17-2005, 07:45 PM
another

bigvforcer
10-19-2005, 05:30 PM
No one else has any info on gussets for a 300ex????????

ZeroLogic
10-19-2005, 05:57 PM
near the shocks is a common play on many quad like were the shock connects the the frame and around there

exman
10-19-2005, 07:06 PM
you can sit an look at a thousand places and start thinking "man i need strength there and there and there and there" next thing you know that metal is starting to add up weight,,,and before you know it you will be gussetting gussetts.

1. First don't gussett it for the head on crash or if you consistantly case jumps, one after an another..hahahaha, aftermarket shocks front and rear take a whole bunch of stress on the shock areas.

2. things that we have found

a. nut cracking case yhe jump breaks the fuel tank tabs off,
b. salmming hard in the rear especially with stock shock, cracks the two curved upper rear mounts,,,pulls them apart from the frame
c. two waskers on the swingarm bolt,,,then grind down the nut some so you still have the locking pin inside it...so it will fit.
d. all the areas in the front, cross member to keep it front tweeking/twisting (when you slam),,,you can beef up the fron bottom a-arm slot a tad.

just remeber that nothing is ever going to keep it from braking if you run into a brick wall...its just going to transfer the break some where else.

good dang shocks, arms and swingarm will cure so much breaking on the 300ex.

bigvforcer
10-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Thanks for your help! I will take that info and run as soon as I get the uad down to the frame and sandblasted!

bwamos
10-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Those look about right.

I also had a stress crack start to form on the lower rail at the rear mounting point for the lower a-arm right begind the vertical post. Make sense? lol

But that was only after several years of beating the holy crud outa the frame in the MHSC races.

I would also reccomend the +3 arms on the 300ex. I run stock width.. but if I were to add arms they would be +3"s they are about perfect. Your rear was already 1" wider than the front. Adding the arms and a 2+2 axle puts you almost perfectly square with 4:1 front wheels.

bigvforcer
10-20-2005, 02:34 PM
That is the exact information I was looking for! He is getting ready to start racing XC next year when he gets home from college. It is his first quad and I would like to make it last a while for our nieces as well. You know get the next female pro started at a young age!!!!!

exman
10-20-2005, 09:41 PM
plus three arms, some good 16 1/4 inch shocks, and 4-1 offset rims and you will good as gold

cjpoole1
10-21-2005, 07:08 PM
How wide will +3 a-arms and 4-1 wheels put a 300ex at?