PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting

VT250X
10-17-2005, 07:07 AM
I figured I would post my first experience doing my own sandblasting.

For those of you wondering about those home sandblasting kits made by Campbell Hausfield you can get at Walmart for about $25 they are well worth the money.

I already had a compressor, but I was having a problem locating any blasting media locally. I ended up finding some Black Beauty at a local place that supplies the town road crew with equipment. It was like $10 for a 100 lbs. or so.

1) Eye protection is a must, but you should also get some masks to filter the air before you breath it in. Trust me on this one.

2) Don't be tempted to just start blasting in your garage or workshop. In about two seconds there will be macro shards of blasting media all over the place. It's a pain to clean up.

3) If you have a small compressor like I do (6 gal. pancake) you will have to stop frequently and wait for the air pressure to come back up. I found that once it gets below 80 it doesn't do anything at all.

4) After you have stopped and are waiting for the air pressure to build back up purge the moisture from the tank. It ends up getting in the blasting gun and causes the media to jam. It took me forever to find out this was the problem. If you don't already have one of these moisture collectors on your compressor you should get one. They have them at Sears for fairly cheap.

5) Wear gloves. Either leather or Mechanix gloves (I use). I was in a hurry to try it out and hit the end of my index finger. It's not fun :(

I ended up constructing a "booth" out of a cardboard box and an old single pane storm window. I cut to arm holes on the side of a large box I had sitting around. Then I cut about a 2" hole on the side so I could feed the air hose and media pick up hose through it. You just set your part inside the box and then set the storm window over the top of the box and start blasting.

The only thing I need to do when I build more of a permanant box is have a fan sucking the air in the box outside. Even though it takes care of most of the media flying around, the dust is pushed out through the arm and hose holes due to the air pressure.

This $35 investment was by far the cheapest and most satisfying addition to my workshop. With making the box coupled with the moisture problem it took me about 4 hours to completely blast all of my 4 of my hubs.

If anyone has any other pointers of tips please feel free to post them.

LM

rob-u/21
10-17-2005, 12:40 PM
that is really cool. post some pics to give us a better idea.

Woodsrider
10-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Sounds messy. But I guess if you dont mind the mess.
A good sized blast cabinet will set you back about 2 to 4 hundred, plus another $600 for a compressor that pushes 8 to 10 CFM. I can strip four hubs in 5 minutes with mine:macho
But heres a tip for you, if your going to build a bench top cabinet for light use. You can draw the dust out with a shop vac, just drill a hole in the back side of the cabinet the size of your vacuums hose and put the hose in. You will need to change or clean the filter on the vacuum often, but its worth it.

VT250X
10-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
Sounds messy. But I guess if you dont mind the mess.
A good sized blast cabinet will set you back about 2 to 4 hundred, plus another $600 for a compressor that pushes 8 to 10 CFM. I can strip four hubs in 5 minutes with mine:macho
But heres a tip for you, if your going to build a bench top cabinet for light use. You can draw the dust out with a shop vac, just drill a hole in the back side of the cabinet the size of your vacuums hose and put the hose in. You will need to change or clean the filter on the vacuum often, but its worth it.

It was only messy BEFORE I made the box. After that it was no problem. I only have the small compressor and I don't have that many parts to clean and paint. I thought about my big shop vac, but I didn't really want to hear that scream while I was doing it. I know 4 hours seems like a long time, but I didn't just blast for four hours. I never listed my countless cig breaks, lunch, cleaning the hub, drying, paint 1st coat, 2nd coat, 3rd coat, removing the next hub and starting the process over again. At the end of the 4 hours everything was done, painted & re-assembled. For the total cost of $35 I am willing to take a little hit in the time dept :)

Thanks for your suggestions.

LM

VT250X
10-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by rob-u/21
that is really cool. post some pics to give us a better idea.

I might post a pic, but it's really not that hard to envision.

Picture a large box lets say about the size that a large computer monitor would come in.

Now you cut two holes big enough for your arms to go inside on the front side.

Then on the right or left side side a smaller hole to bring the air hose and media fill tube in through.

Then take the large single pane stom window and lay it over the top.

It's really simple and really CHEAP!!!!!!!

LM