PDA

View Full Version : Hard Starting 04' 450r

4stroke Convert
10-16-2005, 08:18 PM
IM NEW TO 4 STOKES BUT BEEN RIDING AND RACING 250R FOR YEARS. I JUST BOUGHT A 04' 450R THAT IS ALL STOCK MOTOR WISE. THE PROBLEM IS IT IS VERY HARD TO KICK WHEN COLD AND SEEMS LIKE YOU HAVE TO KICK IT A BUNCH OF TIMES TO GET IT FIRED. AND PRETTY MUCH THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN HOT. NOW THE COMPRESTION RELEASE MAKES IT EASIER TO KICK . BUT THERES TIMES ILL KICK IT 10 TIMES AND NOT START THEN IT WILL SIT FOR A MINUTE AND IT WILL START ON FIRST KICK.IM 220 AND CAN KICK A HARLY IF I HAD TOO BUT DIDN'T EXPECT THIS FROM A HONDA. I RODE TODAY MET A NOTHER GUY WITH AN 04' AND HE KICK HIS ALL DAY FROM THE SEATED POSITION AND IT FIRED ON THE FIRST KICK EVER TIME AND HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS

shamisc
10-17-2005, 05:46 AM
First off, welcome to the site!
That button that you're referring to as the comp release is actually a hot start button that leans out the carb for easier starts. Here's how I start mine:

Cold engine: I turn the gas on, pump the throttle with 2 quick stabs, make sure my choke is on fully, hold the Hot Start button, and step down 1-2 full kicks. I too start mine from a seated position once its warm. **** DO NOT PUMP THROTTLE WHILE KICKING!!!!! ****

Hot Engine: I just press the Hot Start and step down with a full kick. It usually starts the first time. It is so critical that you DO NOT press the throttle while trying to start. It will cause the engine to kick back and bust the kick-starter right out of the cases!!!

If these tips don't work for you, you may want to check your jetting. If the bike isn't close to the proper jetting, it will be a mother to start! Hope this helps ya!
** Also, make sure you turn your caps button off! You'll catch H3LL for that here! **;)

s2k1
10-17-2005, 07:45 AM
It sounds like the decompressor may be out of adjustment. The proper adjustment procedure is shown on page 4-10 & 4-11 in the factory service manual. If you're not up to checking it yourself, take it to someone who can.
You should be able to sit on the seat and start it with one or two kicks. If you try to start it while standing up, it is difficult to get a complete kick stroke, due to the kickstart pivot location. If the engine doesn't turn two complete revolutions with each kick, you're not guaranteed that it will start due to it being a 4 stroke engine. Remember, a 4 stroke needs two complete engine revolutions to make one combustion cycle. If you sit on the seat when starting, you're almost guaranteed a full kick stroke.
People who are new to 4 strokes or even new to modern 4 strokes also need to know that you don't need to "stab" at the kickstarter. It is better to kick it with a steady, consistent speed.
Good luck.

honda350r
10-17-2005, 08:01 AM
Turn your idle up and then try it !

MR.BIG
10-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Are you hitting the throttle when you are kicking it? Don't give it any gas when trying to start it like a two stroke.Turn the key on choke it and kick it. First or second kick everytime!

ubnpast
10-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by shamisc

Cold engine: I turn the gas on, pump the throttle with 2 quick stabs, make sure my choke is on fully, hold the Hot Start button, and step down 1-2 full kicks. I too start mine from a seated position once its warm. **** DO NOT PUMP THROTTLE WHILE KICKING!!!!! ****

Same thing I do!! Works great

The only other thing I can think of, when it's cold and I try starting it while in gear with the clutch squeezed, it's hard to start. Put it in nuetral first, then it fires right up.

infantry317
10-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Yeah I give the throttle a couple stabs, choke on and can kick it sitting down.

Smoker
10-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Like they've covered, you live and die by choking when cold and using hot start everytime to start after you've warmed it up, even a little. Using any throttle when kicking a no-no. Every Honda I've owned is very cold blooded factory, upping the pilot jet a size or two always helps the starting characteristics, even if stock.

speedfreaksguy
10-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Check your valve clearance. If your intakes are tight it will be a bear to start. I have an 04 and even with the 13.5 comp piston I can start it sitting down. Your jetting can greatly effect the starting too. Bottom line is if it takes 10 kicks to start something isn't right.

ATC350X 85
10-22-2005, 05:51 PM
I agree to check the valve clearances, but it does help to have the proper starting procedure. I just give it 2-3 shots of gas full choke and kick it when cold and use the hot start when it is hot

mxquadracer
10-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Very likely the decompressor/valve clearances...or even the jetting yes.

But I've seen alot of people hop off two-strokes, and jam on the kick (let it come back up half way and kick kick kick kick kick. Be sure to let it come all the way back up to the reset spot, and give it one FULL thrust. Should start like a champ. If not...one of the above three problems are very likley^^^

BigVince
10-24-2005, 11:35 PM
I don't know what these guys are talking about...

Turn key, Set choke, make sure the kick is in the absolute top position... and hit the gas as you kick... vroooooom.

that works for me... otherwise.. it's a *****.

trict_out
10-24-2005, 11:38 PM
watch for the kickback, damn near shattered my kneecap on the handlebars.

BigVince
10-24-2005, 11:49 PM
kickback? ... is that what that was...