PDA

View Full Version : 13 tooth sprocket

WheelerBob
10-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Ok here's the deal, I put a 14 tooth on the front and a 39 tooth on the rear of my 400ex and loved the bottom end it gave me. I just went to 22" sur tracs on the rear for ground clearance and i lost alot of the torque, I was wondering if they make a 13 tooth front and if so has anyone out there tried it, I know it will lose alot of top end but i'm thinking the 13 will get me very close to where i was with the 20's, I ride almost all trails and mud so the bottom end is much more important to me. Thanks in advance for any replies. :D :D :D

xx3003xrdrxx
10-16-2005, 08:23 PM
honestly , you should buy a set of twentys again , they are a much better tire even for trails . you can always run like 12 pounds of pressure in them and make them stand taller for extra clearence

prepracing
10-16-2005, 11:27 PM
yes they make a 13t sprocket for the 400ex, and with a 39 in the rear you will have loads of torque, even when running 22's. But I hope you don't do any flat trails or field riding cause running high reving rpm's like that will make it run hot really quick

quad2xtreme
10-17-2005, 06:11 AM
WheelerBob,

I run 13t with my 22" tires. In fact, it won't be much longer until it is time to put all 3 sets on. I am surprised xx3003xrdrxx made the statement about 20" tires being better for trail riding. He must be riding on hard pack in PA. I ride all winter long with utility riders and all of them will tell you 22" Razr2s on a 400ex is almost unstoppable. The added clearance is amazing. It does rub power but this really isn't much of an issue when riding in snow and muddy conditions. You lose the ability to wheelie anyhow due to traction.

/Jon

DaleJrFan
10-17-2005, 08:32 AM
i would not go with a 13t cause there is only so much you can demand out of that piston/clutch before it gets too hot and blows up on you. i had a 14/38 gearing for a while and i hated it, too much shifting. once i put the 15t back on, i was alot happier.

quad2xtreme
10-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Lower gearing is going to reduce the demand on the clutch. Putting 22" tires on a quad and not changing the gearing is what is going to be demanding. It is about the equivalent of starting out in 2nd gear all the time.

WheelerBob, your are on the right track. I will send you a link to a gearing calculator for the 400ex. You can figure out the best gearing to keep the overall drive ratios the same as stock. People don't seem to understand RPMs in relation to overall drive ratios but I can tell you do. The calculator will also tell you what speed you will attain if you can hit a given RPM.

Everyone else, Bob didn't say he was planning to going to a 13th front and 18" tires in the back thus his RPMs would go through the roof. He is asking what he can do to get his overall drive ratio back to where it was with 20" tires.

/Jon

quad2xtreme
10-17-2005, 09:48 AM
calculator link (http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm)

WheelerBob
10-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks quad2 for the info, I should have given more backround info on my original post. See i'm 6'5" and about 275 pounds thats why i geared the 400 down to 14/39 so i would have the bottom end i need for trails and some pretty deep mud sometimes up to the fenders, and like i said i put the 22/11/10 sur-tracs on for more ground clearance and more traction in the mud. The problem is the 22 's took it back very close to stock gearing and in real deep mud i'm having trouble keeping them spinning, every time they bite it bogs and im have to feather the clutch to keep them spinning, thats why i want to gear it down to the same as it was with the 20" tires. I seen that some companys offer a 13 tooth front sprocket I just want to know if anyone has had any problems with the 13 such as alignment angle or premature roller wear. The 13/39 with 22" is very close to 14/39 with 20". I know I will loose top end but i don't care because i ride all trails and hardly ever see 5th gear even with the 14/39 20" set up. Any more good info or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

redneck2725
10-19-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm currently trying to sell a 13T front sprocket for a 400EX, here is the link if you are interested:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187479

quad2xtreme
10-20-2005, 06:22 AM
I ride all winter with 13 tooth and 22 RAZR2 tires. I've never had a problem. The 2001 Raptor came stock with a 13 tooth sprocket and everyone used to run them with 12 tooth front sprocket.

You will be more satisfied with this setup.

/Jon