PDA

View Full Version : Best To Clean out motor with?

RiderTRX400ex
10-16-2005, 07:10 PM
sunk my ex in some water this weekend... got the side cases off. what the best stuff to clean out the bottom half of the engine with. I am gunna do 3 or 4 cycle of fresh oil, but just wondering if i can clean it up with some carb clean or something... thanks

prepracing
10-16-2005, 11:20 PM
kerosene will work

exracer131
10-18-2005, 10:11 AM
i have one important question, did you try starting the engine after you sank in with out pulling the spark plug out??? if yes, you might need to get the rod checked. diesel fuel will work also, carb cleaner will do just fine. pulling the drain plug will get most of the water out, i do agree with changing the oil like you said. the shop i used to work at we would run the engine at idel for about 10min between oil changes. by doing this the engine heats up and water starts to evaporate. it may take more than 4 oil changes to get all the water out of the engine. keep this in mind, oil is cheaper than an new engine. i would not use any high dollar oil since you are just wasting it anyways.

Chino886
10-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by exracer131
i have one important question, did you try starting the engine after you sank in with out pulling the spark plug out??? if yes, you might need to get the rod checked. diesel fuel will work also, carb cleaner will do just fine. pulling the drain plug will get most of the water out, i do agree with changing the oil like you said. the shop i used to work at we would run the engine at idel for about 10min between oil changes. by doing this the engine heats up and water starts to evaporate. it may take more than 4 oil changes to get all the water out of the engine. keep this in mind, oil is cheaper than an new engine. i would not use any high dollar oil since you are just wasting it anyways.

Are you talking about an engine that is complete submersed? Because I was stuck in water up to the pegs and did not pull the plug boot and I was fine!

10-19-2005, 01:02 PM
I am assuming they are talking about watter going into the intake or exaust...

I wouldent have event taken the side covers off, I would have just taken the drain plug out, along with the spark plug. and just cranked it over for a min to blow a majority of the watter out. then maby dump some dry gas in the next tank of fule.

I would say that 3 oil changes is plenty. I would
drain it, fill it, run it
drain just the engine, fill it, run it
drain just the engine. fill it, run it
drain the whole thing completely, fill it, run it for like 2 hours of easy riding.
then put fresh stuff in/

Dupontster
10-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Get some Acetone! That will get it off. You can also use Brillo pads or SOS pads with the soap in them. That works good to keep them clean once you get all the stains off.

ommkevin
10-19-2005, 01:15 PM
kerosene will do the trick

exracer131
10-19-2005, 08:37 PM
getting water up to your pegs in nothing but getting your feet wet. now when water gets up or past the seat there is a chance that water will get ingested into the cylinder (on top of the piston) if this happens and you try to start the engine with water on top of the piston there is a good chance you will bend the rod. so you pull the spark plug out so when the engine turns over the water has so where to go ( out the spark plug hole) because water does not compress no matter how much try to make it!!

10-19-2005, 08:43 PM
I have sucked on small amounts of watter b4. like a spoon full. thare is always some in my oil when I do a oil change.

gojk
10-19-2005, 08:53 PM
I personally would not use anything but oil to clean it out. If you use carb cleaner or kerosene it will take all of the oil off of some of the interal parts leaving them unlubed for the first little bit when you do start it. I would just change the oil, run it for a sec, change, run it...... For a few cycles. That should be enough to get the water out yet keep everything lubed so you aren't dry starting it.