PDA

View Full Version : 400ex not turning over

awesome400
10-16-2005, 05:43 PM
I have a 2000 400ex that will not turn over. The lights aren't working either-as if the battery is dead-but it's not. We tested the contol switch and the CDI Box. Any ideas?

tater_kamik
10-16-2005, 06:01 PM
check your ground wire going from the battery to the frame

Chino886
10-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by awesome400
I have a 2000 400ex that will not turn over. The lights aren't working either-as if the battery is dead-but it's not. We tested the contol switch and the CDI Box. Any ideas?

did you check the fuses?

exracer131
10-17-2005, 12:12 PM
the first thing i would check is the starter relay. it is located between the rear fender and battery. it will be easier to access with the rear fender off. do you have a test light or volt meter, i hope you do. if not you need to get one test the starting system. alright first take your test light or volt meter and make sure you have power going to the relay from battery. if not you need to replace the wire running from battery to relay. next check the small wire on the relay, this wire sould get power when you hit the start button, if no power when start button is pushed your problem is most likely the fuse, if i am no misstaken it is located under the seat. alright if power is getting to small wire when start button is pushed you sould have power at the terminal on the relay that has the wire running from the relay to the stater. is no power at terminal you need a new starter relay. if you do have power check for power at the starter. if power is getting to the starter and still nothing you proplem is most likely the starter. if all these things pass the test you most likely have a ground problem some where. check and make sure all the ground are clean from rust (corrison) and tight. let us know how it turns out.

awesome400
10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
check your ground wire going from the battery to the frame

you were right on the money with this one. i have my frame painted black (including the subframe) and it must have lost the ground connection somehow. i never scraped the paint off at the contact point and it always worked, never thought anything of it. but thanks for all the help. i thought i was going crazy because everything tested ok. that was the only thing i didnt check :rolleyes:

Chino886
10-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by awesome400
you were right on the money with this one. i have my frame painted black (including the subframe) and it must have lost the ground connection somehow. i never scraped the paint off at the contact point and it always worked, never thought anything of it. but thanks for all the help. i thought i was going crazy because everything tested ok. that was the only thing i didnt check :rolleyes:

even better, it was a free fix!:D