PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had a jaw operation done

400exchick
10-15-2005, 10:55 PM
I know this has nothing to do with quads but I was wondering if anyone has ever had jaw surgery before?? orthognathic surgery to be specific. I had been debating for the past couple years wether or not to go through with it.. decided to take the plunge. I was only suppost to be getting the procedure done in 2 years but since the prepping of my teeth is going so well I may be getting it in 14-15 months. Both lower & upper jaws will be broken and repositioned.

For those who have had this done before how did it turn out? Happy with the results??

mudcovered
10-15-2005, 11:23 PM
My sister had that done many years back. I think she was happy with the end result, but was quite miserable for a few weeks after the surgery (jaw wired shut).

enduro400rider
10-16-2005, 02:20 PM
i had the same surgery last june. i ll just be honest with you. IT SUCKS. you cant talk, you can move, you cant eat. its bad at least for the first 2 weeks. the swelling is what really sucks you cant move you head at all because you head and neck will swell up really bad. i couldnt even get my head through a shirt for the first week. also you cant swalow, you have to use one of those things that sucks stuff out of your mouth like a dentist has. also plan on sleeping upright for a while cuz you cant really lay down expecally not on your side. after about 3 or 4 weeks its not bad but you will always be hungary cuz you cant eat anything but soft stuff and it gets old fast. if i were you i would definatly think twice about it. if your jaw isnt to bad and its not that noticable i wouldnt recomend it. now im not tring to scare you out of doing it or anything like that im just giving you my honest opinion on my experiances. let me know if you have any questions i will try my best to answer them from what i have learned.

400exchick
10-16-2005, 06:14 PM
no, it doesn't really show, most of the ppl don't even notice there's something wrong until I point it out. But it's too late to back out now, too much blood, sweat and tears put into the whole process already... nerve damage from tooth extraction, unable to eat for over a month because of a dry socket.. and lots more..

FasstMidnightZ
10-16-2005, 06:17 PM
I had a mandibular advancement (sp) And wow, your in for a ride. Swollen, cant eat, puking, rubber banded shut ( or wired what ever they do)I had it done last december and part of my chin is permantly numb from it. ;) I think its worth it tho. I look totally different and im happy with the results ;)

K_Fulk
10-16-2005, 07:26 PM
I just had my lower jaw moved back and up when I was 18. It sucked for a couple weeks untill the sweling went down and I got some strength back. I didn't have my jaw wired shut and just ate up plenty of soft food for a month or so.

All in all i am glad I had it done. At least now i can take a bite of pizza, and be able to bite through the cheese instead of it plulling the rest of the chesse off and burning the front of my face :mad:. That always pissed me off. My upper and lower front teeth were about 3 mm from touching so it made it kinda hard to bite through some stuff.

400exchick
10-16-2005, 07:49 PM
I'll have it wired shut for a couple weeks. As for the teeth not touching, I only have 2 molars that connect with each other in my whole mouth, so it's safe to say I know what it's like not being able to bite good into anything.

K_Fulk
10-16-2005, 07:58 PM
I had most of my side teeth touching so I was a little better off.

All in all it will suck for a month or so.The prep work to get ready for the surgery is almost as bad as the surgery itsself. I had plenty myself ( upper palet expander, root scrapings, skin graphs, pulled wisdom teeth and a couple years of the big old fanshioned metal braces.)

And it will totally be worth it when your fully healed. And the first week will fly by cause your gonna be bombed out on meds.

400exchick
10-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
I had most of my side teeth touching so I was a little better off.

All in all it will suck for a month or so.The prep work to get ready for the surgery is almost as bad as the surgery itsself. I had plenty myself ( upper palet expander, root scrapings, skin graphs, pulled wisdom teeth and a couple years of the big old fanshioned metal braces.)

And it will totally be worth it when your fully healed. And the first week will fly by cause your gonna be bombed out on meds.

I had the upper palet expander when I was in grade school, didn't work though, I have the braces right now but mine are made of porcelain/ceramic (always forget which one they're made of) so they're pretty invisible.. It was a whole week before my parents even noticed I had them. Now they're talking of graphting and all sorts of things. But my teeth are shifting amazingly fast so that's why the operation is being moved up. :ermm: :(

K_Fulk
10-16-2005, 08:42 PM
For me the skin graphs were the worse thing out of everything i had done. That was horrible.

L & L Racing
10-17-2005, 09:39 AM
sweet jesus that looks like it would kill! i had my wisdom teeth out and it KILLED for about 2 weeks! i got 2 dry sockets and oh my god the worst pain ever and it dindt go away!!