PDA

View Full Version : Need a little rc help

Mxjunkie
10-15-2005, 07:12 PM
I got this boat for free, I dont know if they have ever run it or what, I know I need to buy a battery, a charger and I dont know what else, it came with a controller.

any help would be cool :)

Mxjunkie
10-15-2005, 07:13 PM

Mxjunkie
10-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Yeah I look in here and I'm kinda like hmm lol..

FasstMidnightZ
10-15-2005, 07:17 PM
lol that looks cool josh. hmm electical + water...:ermm: :p

Mxjunkie
10-15-2005, 08:05 PM
thats what I am thinking, might be a little slow... anyone know if you can rig up weed wacker motors on it :devil:

my pop pop is big into rc airplanes I'll have to check if he has any motors laying around, the boat is light as anything but I allways hear anything radio controlled is a money pit :o

blasteracer24
10-15-2005, 08:11 PM
ill sell you my r/c car you can take the motor off it or just drive the car.

450robot
10-15-2005, 09:18 PM
heheh, rc boats, brings back old memories

yup, all you should need is a good battery and a charger

make sure the battery is a NIhm type though, they are alot more reliable

if you do get a NIcd kind, make sure you also buy a discharger to drain all the juice out the battery when your done, or it will suffer from "memory loss" where the battery loses its energy capacity (you dont have to worry about this with NIhm)

also, buy some clear silicone in a tube, and run a bead of it around where the lid of the boat closes to seal the electronics

and what i have learned to do if you use the boat in a pond, find a way to attach a long roll of string to the boat, so when you send the boat out, if it flips, or dies, you can tug it back in (works for rivers too)

JForestZ34
10-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Make sure tose batteries are good. If they are rechargable batteries make sure you cycle them a couple of times first before you use them. Until you see how reliable the boat is don't go to far out from where you put it int he water. I also wouldn't put a string on the boat for fear of it getting caught in the prop. Get yourself a cheap fishing pole from walmart or something. Rig it so there is a tennis ball at the end of the line. When the boat gets stuck just throw the ball past the boat and reel it in. That only works if it's not to far.

This is the kind I used to have

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LH3206&P=1

It was alot of money but it was really reliable. Also I don't know what kind of laws are in your town but they made me buy a permit to use mine because they were worried about the ducks and geese that were in the lake I used. I don't think you could put a weed wack style engine in that boat, it's to small. What is it made out of, mine was made from fiberglass, it was about 46" long and weighed 20lbs. I hope it comes out good for you they are alot of fun.

James

Mxjunkie
10-16-2005, 08:44 AM
its a thick plastic haul, the boat weights maybe 5-10 pounds if its lucky.

jsc
10-16-2005, 11:03 AM
I have dabbled in Electric R/C planes for about 13 or so years, way way before it was cool and gas was the hip thing. NIMH cells are great, epically todays cells, the first models of NIMH cells were great as far as "electrical capacity" compared to a NICaD cell, but could not withstand the current draw that a NICad Cell could handle, sorta like a double edged sword. Todays NIMH cells are great in current capacity and current draw, comparable to NICaD cells. Memory in NICad Cells is somewhat a "scientific myth", if you drain a pack of say 8 cells down to 0V for the entire pack, the cell that has the least amount of electrical capacity is going to discharge below 0v, therefore when charged has the chance of charging in reverse and ruining the whole pack. There are several types of charger/discharger's on the market....but dont just run the battery until it is completely flat you have a good chance of ruining it. You can buy matched packs, where the capacity of each cell in the pack is the same, but they are expensive. You could even go the Lithium Polymer battery route, but they are fairly expensive and finicky to charge.

I would try about a 2000 or more Mah pack of 8cells (9.6V) if the speed controller can handle the voltage.

Originally posted by 450robot
heheh, rc boats, brings back old memories

yup, all you should need is a good battery and a charger

make sure the battery is a NIhm type though, they are alot more reliable

if you do get a NIcd kind, make sure you also buy a discharger to drain all the juice out the battery when your done, or it will suffer from "memory loss" where the battery loses its energy capacity (you dont have to worry about this with NIhm)

also, buy some clear silicone in a tube, and run a bead of it around where the lid of the boat closes to seal the electronics

and what i have learned to do if you use the boat in a pond, find a way to attach a long roll of string to the boat, so when you send the boat out, if it flips, or dies, you can tug it back in (works for rivers too)

Mxjunkie
10-16-2005, 11:06 AM
I looked in the box that it came in, it has a Dynamite 1400 battery and a ener cell turbo racing 7.2volt battery.

So far I know the motor is a 540 modifed motor just like the tmaxxas boats, and it runs off 1-2 batterys