PDA

View Full Version : steering stem questions...

omaits
10-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Well, I bent my stock steering stem...again. I am getting really tired of having to keep bending it back. I think I want to invest in a new aftermarket stem, but I have no clue what to look for.

How much better are the aftermarket stems than buying a new stock one? I can get atleast 3 stock stems to one good aftermarket one.

What brand do you recommend and what are the advantages over stock? thanks alot for your help.

I noticed aftermarket units offer different handlebar positioning. (+1 higher, +1 forward, etc...) What are the advantages of these different bar positions? (I typically ride woods/trails)

Also, if anyone has a used one for sale, let me know. Thanks.

Pappy
10-15-2005, 05:18 PM
honestly, if your bending stock ones that often, you will bend an aftermarket. save your cash, snag up a few used stems on ebay and ride on:macho

omaits
10-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks for being honest. I was afraid to pay 300 for something I would just bend anyways.

I guess there is a caveat to having durable bars.

Sjorge450R
10-15-2005, 06:11 PM
i would just buy the MSR Dominator handle bars for $15, so that way you bend the bars instead of the stem.

JOEX
10-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Does bending the stem back weaken it causing it to bend even easier?

400ex28
10-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Does bending the stem back weaken it causing it to bend even easier?

Yep

omaits
10-15-2005, 08:51 PM
i would just buy the MSR Dominator handle bars for $15, so that way you bend the bars instead of the stem.

My thoughts exactly.

Is there anyway I can weld a bead down the stem or reinforce it? It doesnt have to look pretty.

TheFontMaster
10-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by omaits
My thoughts exactly.

Is there anyway I can weld a bead down the stem or reinforce it? It doesnt have to look pretty.

Where there is a will there is a way. I'm bet that if you cut thin strips of 1/8 inchs steel, strips mabey half an inch wide, and just weld 4 of those down as much of the length of the stem as you could that it would hold pritty well. Add about 20 pounds but you would deffinatley start bending bard before your stem:eek2:

omaits
10-15-2005, 09:42 PM
I might try something like that. I think I would only have to go about 8 inches down, just past the point where the stem is held in place by that bracket thing.

I wonder what woudl give if I did that? haha probably something more expensive.

TheFontMaster
10-15-2005, 09:55 PM
You would deffinatley be bending bars more, and you would probably start to crack the frame by the stem mounts. My advice learn to ride better so you stop bending the stem.:o