View Full Version : 400ex swingarm bolt F'd up making me mad!

HiZ
10-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Ok so I know that this has been posted before and I thought to myself.

Who in the hell is stupid enough to not lube the pivot bolt!
I guess the guy that I got the quad from was.

Grease gun has a bit of dust on it, so leave it collect some more dust on the shelf was his motto! Nice Job

back to my troubles

I have a 00 400ex that has, I am guessing, a virgin pivot bolt.
As in nothing else has been stuck in there yet. So it's tighter than all get up.
Now normally this situation is good, however when I am trying to get rid of the pivot bolt to take off the swinger, etc. it's not and just pisses me off!
Not to mention that it looked as if someone used a small land mine on the rear carrier. Obviously that grease gun was still on the shelf for that one.

So I have beat the hell out of the bolt with a 3lb hammer and block, I have used punches, air hammers, and am about ready to hit the ***'r with my truck.

So any other bringt ideas for a resolution to my insanity?

400exrider707
10-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by HiZ
Ok so I know that this has been posted before and I thought to myself.

Who in the hell is stupid enough to not lube the pivot bolt!
I guess the guy that I got the quad from was.

Grease gun has a bit of dust on it, so leave it collect some more dust on the shelf was his motto! Nice Job

back to my troubles

I have a 00 400ex that has, I am guessing, a virgin pivot bolt.
As in nothing else has been stuck in there yet. So it's tighter than all get up.
Now normally this situation is good, however when I am trying to get rid of the pivot bolt to take off the swinger, etc. it's not and just pisses me off!
Not to mention that it looked as if someone used a small land mine on the rear carrier. Obviously that grease gun was still on the shelf for that one.

So I have beat the hell out of the bolt with a 3lb hammer and block, I have used punches, air hammers, and am about ready to hit the ***'r with my truck.

So any other bringt ideas for a resolution to my insanity?

LOL, oh man these pivot bolt threads SUCK!!! It irritates me cause I know how hard they are to get out!

Ive seen guys use 10lb sledges w/a punch to no prevail. Your best bet right now is to let it soak really good w/ PB, then have a buddy turn it w/ an air ratchet, while you hit it on the other side. If that doesn't work your going to have to cut it piece by piece. Have fun! :blah:

deathman53
10-15-2005, 05:43 PM
I have a atc250r with a seized bolt, I had to cut out the swingarm in another atc250r I had to get off the swinger in another I have. I got lucky my 200x they put grease on it and it wasn't stuck. A 350x I had the bolt was semi-seized. my friend bought a brand new trx450r and I helped him de-stock it. the swingarm bolt had zero, zip, nada grease on it, ON A BRAND NEW BIKE!!!!! my xr250r last year I pulled out the swinger bolt and that was starting to seize. I don't understand why there is never grease on them. come to think of it, the crf450r I stole the motor from didn't have grease either. When it comes time to pull the swinger off my atc250r, I'm gonna cut the thing off and put on a aftermarket swingarm, you will beat your head up and down trying to get that bolt out. Is honda the only one with this problem. I've had friends buy new bikes and the first things I tell them are to pullout the swinger bolts and grease them, pull out the calipers and grease the sliders and pull out the linkage bolts and grease them also. they were suprised how little grease there was.

400exMO
10-16-2005, 09:49 AM
what's PB?

motoman00440es
10-16-2005, 12:01 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171536

There you go, hope this helps. That happened to one of my 400's once and we had to cut the swingarm off:eek2: . good luck

tater_kamik
10-16-2005, 12:35 PM
ive never had a problem with an yamaha! :D :p i havent heard anything good about that bolt, i believe there is an write up it the faq about how to get one out

pistonbone
10-16-2005, 01:24 PM
ahhhh ****in thing.... did this thursday night. ended up cutting the swingarm in pieces. I had a new lonestar swinger to put on anyway.

lonestar13r
10-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Ive seen guys use 10lb sledges w/a punch to no prevail. Your best bet right now is to let it soak really good w/ PB, then have a buddy turn it w/ an air ratchet, while you hit it on the other side.

thats exactly what i did .... it came right out its all about soaking it with PB or at least some kind of lube.... me and PB are best freinds thoe. any how...if it dosn't come out.. cut the bolt up ,,, but it would surprise me if it dosn't come out at all after what that guy above was saying ... have some one eles turn while you smack it... befor cutting i think i would even take off all my motor mounts to make sure your motors not on a bind to your pivot bolt. Good luck.
_ethan