PDA

View Full Version : Carb and gas probs!!! Help!!!

redneck2725
10-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Ok, i went out to start my 400, and it would not start. Kept sounding like it was choking out. I did anything i could to get it to start and nothing. So i have never had this thing apart before, but i dove right in and took out the gas tank, carb, and all other pieces involved. Well, the carb was very dirty inside and i decided to empty the gas tank since there was only 1/4 tank left. The gas also had a few pieces floating thru it, so here are the questions.

1) What can i run thru the tank to make sure nothing else is in there??? Water??? more gas???

2) What gas should i run??? I think 87 was in it, should i head up to 93??? My neighbor suggested getting some race fuel and adding 1/8 tank with every fillup to help burn any crap in the gas.

3) Any tips on cleaning out the carb??? I already know about the easily stripped screws.

4) What exact size pilot should i go with to remove the choke??

5) While i got it apart should i rejet it??? My only motor mod is a UNI filter, and modded airbox lid with UNI vents.

6) Any other tricks or tips i.e. Turning mixture screw; diff clips on needle jet; should i just buy a full jet kit;

Any help would be great!!! I do not plan of rushing thru this. If i can't ride for a couple weeks, no big deal. I just want to make sure everything is perfect so i have no probs on the trails.

Pappy
10-15-2005, 09:26 AM
remove the petcock assembly and inspect the pick up tube and filter. while its out of the tank, run a 1/2 gallon gas in it to wash out any trash.

run a 42 pilot if the choke i removed

it will run fine on 87, 89 or 93 octane

stock jetting and settings should be fine for your mods.

remove the float bowl and clean.

redneck2725
10-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
remove the petcock assembly and inspect the pick up tube and filter. while its out of the tank, run a 1/2 gallon gas in it to wash out any trash.

run a 42 pilot if the choke i removed

it will run fine on 87, 89 or 93 octane

stock jetting and settings should be fine for your mods.

remove the float bowl and clean.

I'm calling the Honda dealership about the jet right now, is there any other cleaner i could use in the gas tank to make sure it's clean??? Also, should i install one of these in-line fuel filters???

redneck2725
10-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Also, i removed the petcock and the filter was very dingy yellow, i wiped it clean but it looked faded that way

Pappy
10-15-2005, 10:37 AM
carb cleaner spray is all you need

the yellow color is from the fuel staining the already yellow tinged plastic

a small shot of carb cleaner thru the main jet will assure its clean. remove it and cleaning would be best.

redneck2725
10-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Ok, i did not install the 42MM jet yet, but decided to put everything back together and see what happens. My plug was a little black, but no big deal. It wouldn't start. I put a brand new plug in, and it starts fine.

This has happened a few weeks ago also. It wouldn't even turn over until i replaced the plug. I can't be buying a new plug every two weeks, and my buddy i got it off of only replace it once over 3-4 months and never had this problem. Why will it only start up on a brand new plug, and if it gets a tiny dirty, the 400 will nto start???

Help???:confused:

patches85
10-16-2005, 05:14 PM
Sounds like maybe your spark is not hot enough. May need a new coil.

redneck2725
10-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by patches85
Sounds like maybe your spark is not hot enough. May need a new coil.

The quad only has 25-30 hours on it tops. It's almost brand new, i highly doubt it is that. I guess from what a buddy said, is that it is running VERY rich. Buy why??? My only mod is a UNI filter. Shoud i re-jet anyways??? Which jet should i use??? Maybe a different type of plug???

Any more help