PDA

View Full Version : arm pump

TheMachine
10-15-2005, 12:21 AM
I know there are hundreds of posts about it but none really explain specifically what they eat or how they workout. With that being said can anyone tell me what exercises they do and what they eat to reduce arm pump? Mine is more cramping in my thumb from the throttle than it is my arms.

zeppelin
10-15-2005, 05:29 AM
try taking a few aprin before you ride, the reason that it hurts is because your thumb is flexed almost the whole time and wont allow alot of blood flow, the asprin will thin out your blood and make it flow easier, trust me it works

MWB BigMike
10-15-2005, 05:45 AM
I just got a twist throttle and said the hell with it

Pappy
10-15-2005, 06:33 AM
you can eat bananas, or anything with high levels of potasium. asprin thins the blood and could help.

but all the right food will not make up for seat time. ride, ride and ride some more.

Nick110
10-15-2005, 07:55 AM
i concur with Pappy. the bananas will work because it breaks down the folic acid and makes the blood thinner. and it works too.

shorgasm
10-15-2005, 08:21 AM
You wanna talk about arm-pump?...Hell man.Just spend 30 minutes on my CR5 and you're armas are jello.I have found mainly fluids help..potassium of any nature does wonders.But actually the only thing to really do about it is just ride through it.It hurts like a mutha BUT your forearms will relax.It akes me a few minutes of it but it'll go away.

FasstMidnightZ
10-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by shorgasm
But actually the only thing to really do about it is just ride through it.It hurts like a mutha BUT your forearms will relax.It akes me a few minutes of it but it'll go away. Thats what I did. Yes it hurts ! but, once you go threw it after a few rides it will start to go away and your arms will become amune to it thus causing no pain. :)

mills_racing
10-15-2005, 10:36 AM
CARDIOSTACK works really good for arm pump

Ghost-Rider
10-15-2005, 10:40 AM
yea after riding for a while my thumb will hurt so bad i cant go full throttle or have to let off it a lot man it sucks but i just deal with it

trick250r
10-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
you can eat bananas, or anything with high levels of potasium. asprin thins the blood and could help.

but all the right food will not make up for seat time. ride, ride and ride some more.

listen to the man

Honda
10-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Relax your arms when you get the chance, Remember Relax! Hold on tight when you need to, when you don't just relax.

Fluids will help, NOT THE DAY OF THE RACE, THE DAY BEFORE! It takes the body 2-3 days to recover from dehydration, start a few days before the race and continue taking fluids until the race starts.

Binge Drinking the night before? Good Luck Bud! Dehydration, and slow responses!!!

Best meal I have ate before a race, don't laugh! Mcdonalds, Bacon, egg and cheese bagel meal with orange juice and hash brown. I had that before the Ironman last year, and WOW! Rode the best race of my life and felt like a million bucks the whole day.

Arm Pump is mainly caused by the the muscle not getting enough oxygen, you need to breath during the race, the better you breath the better your body will perform. Your body needs oxygen to work, remember to breath properly.

Lifting heavy weights at the gym can actually make arm pump worse, if you do lift heavy weights, you need to be sure to do a set of 25-30 reps at the end of each set using the lowest amount of weight possible. do as many reps as it takes to exhaust your muscles. This will help the muscle heal faster, build a better cardiovascular system through the muscle, etc.

You will notice after doing this, that your arm pump from lifting is gone, that is because doing this helps the muscle rid itself of all the waste buildup that was a result of the lifting.

One thing that I found that helps a ton, 3-4 days a week of running. 20-30 minutes will do you best, if you are not used to doing this, it may take some time and be painfull in the beginning, but trust me the end results will be well worth it.

Sometimes it is hard to remember to relax and breath properly, especially when things start getting crazy. I talk to myself during the ride, remind myself to relax/ breath. I talk about other things too, little pep talks to yourself to keep you chargin hard.

Hope this helps you out, arm pump is a mutha. LOL!

TheMachine
10-15-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone!:macho

jwick07
10-16-2005, 09:57 AM
When I rode all the time and raced more I found the best work outs to help with arm pump and leg fatigue to be jumping rope, just go until your gassed then streach really good. And for overall conditioning including learing to breath right try swimming for 30 minutes straight. You might say heck I'm a good swimmer, but trust me I swam competivetily from the time I was 8 until I was 20 and I have seen basketball player and football players that are in the best shape ever quit after the warm up, swimming will build your lung compasity like no other sport and tone your arms and legs great. the rest like pappy said is potasium and dont drink carbonated beverages or anything with lots of sugar

LT250Racer609
10-16-2005, 11:13 PM
use a zip tie and when your in the gate just zip tie ur quad full throttle so all you hafto do is work the clutch:blah:

jk we dont need people flying into the sidelines

ride time is the best and always drink alot of fluids...and i dont mean soda!!! water or gatorage/powerade are good because you need the electrolytes

limetimeracerII
10-17-2005, 06:22 AM
Something else that helped me was to stop drinking coke and eating a lot of sugar 2 or 3 days before the race. Drink lots of water.

zscottie2hottie
10-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Try this www.pump-x.com . Pump-x works really good. You have to take 3 capsules 30 minutes before you race and 3 capsules after the entire event.

Jersey450R
10-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Orange Juice. on glass had 2 times the amount of potassium as one bananna. I often mix OJ with orange gatorade.