PDA

View Full Version : Sorry another piston question

steveatv3
10-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Id like to keep this simple, my 450R has an HRC cam, full system, and intake, and right now it has a wiseco 12:1 piston, and im getting my motor ported and polished.

I am rebuilding my motor and would like to purchase a new piston i want to stay with 12:1 should i just stick with a wiseco, i am looking for durability over performance

redrider9045
10-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Wisoce pistons are pretty durable if i were you id put the wiscoe in and also put cam in.

Jersey450R
10-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Ive heard good things about HammerHeadz pistons. not sure if they make a 12:1.

10-18-2005, 06:03 PM
JE is one of the most reliable pistons on the market, wiesco isnt a bad choice, but all i would ever run is JE, they are proven to run good and last for a long time, why do you think all of the engine builders run JE pistons :macho

sampleez
10-18-2005, 06:24 PM
i've heard several people with je pistons cracking and breaking.

10-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by sampleez

ask Dan from DASA about them, hes had good luck with them, i just talked to him about those pistons today actually, post a thread on the DASA section and ask him about them :macho

sampleez
10-18-2005, 07:01 PM
what's dan got to do with them cracking.

10-18-2005, 07:07 PM
what's dan got to do with them cracking.

nothing, hes ran them in a lot of motors, and can tell you how good they actually are compaired to other pistons

you may need to do your research before you say things like you just said, not a very good way to represent yourself much less a major piston brand spreading false information

yes some pistons have cracked and broken, but that does not mean that all of them crack and break, you are basing your information on 2 or 3 instances of people on the forum speaking of this, when over 1000 run JE pistons in their quads on this forum and have had no problem

im not trying to start a flame war here, ive just done my research about this subject :macho

desratt
10-18-2005, 07:51 PM
I too would run nothing but JE....

never even heard of one cracking.
and I've blown many a motors matterafact 6 this year (so far)

sampleez
10-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
nothing, hes ran them in a lot of motors, and can tell you how good they actually are compaired to other pistons

you may need to do your research before you say things like you just said, not a very good way to represent yourself much less a major piston brand spreading false information

yes some pistons have cracked and broken, but that does not mean that all of them crack and break, you are basing your information on 2 or 3 instances of people on the forum speaking of this, when over 1000 run JE pistons in their quads on this forum and have had no problem

im not trying to start a flame war here, ive just done my research about this subject :macho

http://www.yfzcentral.com/invision/style_emoticons/smilies/strokin.gif .........where did i spread false info??? all i said is that i've seen several cases of je pistons cracking......and i have

here's an idea..............lets stfu about this crap so this guys thread isn't ruined

and back to the topic..........steveatv3 look into the wicked and hammerheadz pistons. both have shown some nice gains over the other pistons.

desratt
10-18-2005, 08:24 PM
heard nothing but problems on the hh those are just a certain other forums hype......

shamisc
10-18-2005, 09:12 PM

Only on the YFZ's. There was something going on with the circlip area of the JE in YFZ's. There's not been any on a 450r to my knowledge! HH has problems with burning oil right now. JE has been making reliable pistons for years! Also, JE and Wiseco merged a couple years back and use the same equipment and make very similar pistons. I would just keep the 12:1 if nothings wrong with it! JMO!:rolleyes:

10-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
Only on the YFZ's. There was something going on with the circlip area of the JE in YFZ's. There's not been any on a 450r to my knowledge! HH has problems with burning oil right now. JE has been making reliable pistons for years! Also, JE and Wiseco merged a couple years back and use the same equipment and make very similar pistons. I would just keep the 12:1 if nothings wrong with it! JMO!:rolleyes:

ya u really cant go wrong with wiesco or JE, both are good, just a matter of which ud like, they use a little bit differant of a design, all i run is JE in the quad, wiesco in the car :macho

shamisc
10-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Where are you looking for gains? It really depends on the type of riding you do. You could change to a CRF cam and get a ton more bottom and mid.;)

Martin Blair
10-18-2005, 10:32 PM
the only pistons i have ever heard of cranking are Wiseco. However JE, Ross, and Wiseco are all god manufatures. I personaly run JE and woulnt use anything else.

Just I would stay away from the hammerheadz pistons, some people love em, and so what they might make a little more power, but with JE I know that I can get past break in without my new motor failing because of piston problems.

steveatv3
10-19-2005, 07:07 AM
i guess ill give JE a shot ive heard alot of people saying good things, i think it will be ok because i dont plan on decking my motor out hardcore with a big bore kit or nothing serious

desratt
10-19-2005, 07:31 PM
don't be afraid of a 13.5:1
they are very awesome pistons...

HUNTSALOT
10-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
Ive heard good things about HammerHeadz pistons. not sure if they make a 12:1.

Are you kidding me what are the good things you have heard?? please do tell.

bpimpdaddy21
10-20-2005, 04:54 AM
The HammerHedz pistons come in either 12.25:1 or 13.75:1. That would probably be the first piston that I would get for my quad. They make more power, and rev faster than the other pistons. Most all of the problems from HH pistons have come from home installs from people that have no clue what they are doing. They usually don't check Piston - Cylinder clearance, or ring gaps. These are the ones that burn oil, which is the only problem I have heard with these pistons. Out of the hundreds that have sold, probably 10 of them burned oil, and as I said were most likely from incorrect installs. But people need to realize that with a high performance piston like any of these, there is a chance of burning oil, due to the fact that they are racing pistons. A little bit of oil burn is normal in anything to a point, just ask any mechanic.

10-20-2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by bpimpdaddy21
The HammerHedz pistons come in either 12.25:1 or 13.75:1. That would probably be the first piston that I would get for my quad. They make more power, and rev faster than the other pistons. Most all of the problems from HH pistons have come from home installs from people that have no clue what they are doing. They usually don't check Piston - Cylinder clearance, or ring gaps. These are the ones that burn oil, which is the only problem I have heard with these pistons. Out of the hundreds that have sold, probably 10 of them burned oil, and as I said were most likely from incorrect installs. But people need to realize that with a high performance piston like any of these, there is a chance of burning oil, due to the fact that they are racing pistons. A little bit of oil burn is normal in anything to a point, just ask any mechanic.

whoa...what r u talking about...a piston should not burn oil...if you set the ring gap correctly not one drop should ever get by...letting oil by is never normal

the JE on my 400ex never let 1 drop passed it, when we took the bike apart the ring gap was perfect and nothing ever passed by, thats how it should be

ohiomotoxer
10-20-2005, 07:06 AM
Wiseco's parent company (Dover Diversified) actually owns JE and Vortex.
MOST of the forged pistons you see offered by custom engine builders and "others" are actually forged by Wiseco or JE, so don't be too quick to say Wiseco/JE is/are better or brand X is/are better or worse because possibly, they are all forged in the same place. JE does however do their own forging which is on par with Wisecos forging process.

Actually, the BEST pistons in the world are Mahle, they make the pistons for F1 cars.

bpimpdaddy21
10-20-2005, 07:44 AM
whoa...what r u talking about...a piston should not burn oil...if you set the ring gap correctly not one drop should ever get by...letting oil by is never normal

the JE on my 400ex never let 1 drop passed it, when we took the bike apart the ring gap was perfect and nothing ever passed by, thats how it should be

All I was saying is there is always a chance that the bike will burn oil. You could set everything perfectly and still burn slight amounts of oil. Just how it goes sometimes.

HUNTSALOT
10-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Start reading there are more and more HH puking oil as they have some ride time on them. And they were not installed by the end user they were installed by builders. So keep on reading and only time will tell but the more time on the HH the worse they get . Also I went to the dunes this last weekend and I dragged raced hard all weekend and I did not use a drop of oil. I guess there may be something wrong with my sparks 13:5.1 and I built it myself and I am no engine builder no smoking here no loss of HP.

bpimpdaddy21
10-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Thats good that you don't burn oil, I was just saying there is always a chance of it, thats all. The more and more I do read though I do see that more HH pistons seem to be burning oil, I guess its a tradeoff to have that little extra power and rev speed. I will have to rethink my piston choice when the time comes.

HUNTSALOT
10-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Like I said keep on reading if you read when these piston get a little time on them they start to puke more oil and lose alot of HP

Bad Habit
10-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah, read about it on the internet.

I once read on the internet that aliens come down from outerspace and impregnate cattle.

devil6
10-20-2005, 05:53 PM

the JE on my 400ex never let 1 drop passed it, when we took the bike apart the ring gap was perfect and nothing ever passed by, thats how it should be All motors use oil to an extent. I have seen production cars with a normal usage spec of 1 quart every 3000 miles.

desratt
10-20-2005, 08:38 PM
that car must have been a chevy but thats besides the point..

how do you figure a hh piston gets more power then a nother or revs faster???

especially if they are losing power

yes weisco and je are owned by the same group

but they are engineered different. john at nmotion was telling me that I bought a weisco 13:1 and a je 13:1 for my 520 kit and they looked alot different.

watts16
10-20-2005, 09:37 PM
This thread has alot of good information. Call 2 or 3 good reliable engine builders and ask them what they think. I have heard the HH piston making great power. I have only seen a few threads where they were burning oil. It is a racing piston needs more maitence and more oil.

cals400ex
10-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Bad Habit
Yeah, read about it on the internet.

I once read on the internet that aliens come down from outerspace and impregnate cattle.

you read that too? :eek2:

mikes450r
10-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by exracer16
This thread has alot of good information. Call 2 or 3 good reliable engine builders and ask them what they think. I have heard the HH piston making great power. I have only seen a few threads where they were burning oil. It is a racing piston needs more maitence and more oil.

so the HH started out as a drop in piston but now that all this is coming up its now a racing piston.

ok

mike