PDA

View Full Version : Hub Removal From Stock 450R Arms ASAP

Delcos450R
10-14-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm ripping apart my 450R to put some new DC-4's on it and I'm down to the hub removal from the stock arms. WTF is the deal with this because I cannot see anything else keeping the hub from coming off. I have the tie rods removed the brake line removed, nuts and anything else I mean EVERYTHING. The damn thing just won't com apart. Heres a pic.

steveatv3
10-14-2005, 10:19 AM
the a-arms get pressed into the spindle you need to find some how to hit them out, i personally use a balljoint remover tool but if you use it improperly it will rip the boots

10-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Beat on the side of the spindle with a hammer. It will fall out.

Delcos450R
10-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Rock on. Got a hammer right HERE! BRB. I'll keep ya posted.

300exOH
10-14-2005, 10:24 AM
This would help. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4578179494&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Or you can use an automotive ball joint/tie rod seperator but like steveatv3 said you risk tearing the boot. If you are careful this works very well. I also found a method using two sockets between the castle nuts and back the bolts against each other until one pops out. It's tricky to find the right size sockets though. It works much like the tool in the ebay link above.

Delcos450R
10-14-2005, 10:29 AM
So the hammer didn't really do the trick. I'm not worried about ripping the boot because I really don't plan on using these a-arms again and if anyone wants to buy them they get em cheap so thats not a problem. However I do not happen to have a ball join separator or anything remotely close to it. For now I'll keep hammering but If anyone has any other ideas I'll be back in a few minutes to check. Thanks.

kazpr
10-14-2005, 10:44 AM
I heat mine up just a little bit and hit with a hammer and the fell right out. I did not heat to much.

Delcos450R
10-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Anyone approve of placing a car jack in between the a-arms and cranking it out to separate this? Let me know before I go break something.

honda350r
10-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Smack the spindles hard with a hammer right above and below your arrows!! It will take a few good blows and the joint will seperate nicely !

I have taken hundreds apart like this and never screwed anything up.. A retard would use a pickle fork !!

Pappy
10-14-2005, 11:01 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13490

they can be a pain, i advise against using a tuning fork, too many people ruin thier ball joint dust seals.

roughrider01
10-15-2005, 08:20 PM
If a few good wacks on the spindles dont work, dont continue to do it... all youll do is end up denting your spindle. I made a ball joint seperater using a big bolt and a couple nuts (sounds a lil graphic.. lol). I had a pic but cannot seem to find it. Basically all it did was act like a press. Youd cut down a large bolt so that it barely fit in between the ball joints then start unscrewing the two nuts (so that one of the nuts unscrews past the threads on the bolt, making the whole seperater longer) that are on the bolt and it will pry them apart. Hopefully that is understandable, a picture would be alot easier. :ermm:

EDIT: i did some drawing to your pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/roughrider01/cimg0492.jpg