PDA

View Full Version : 400 ex ign advancer

sc400ex_rider
10-14-2005, 08:23 AM
hi who sells the offset keyways to advance the timing? i heard about them here but i never see them for sale. thx

parkers30
10-14-2005, 08:32 AM
I know a friend has about 4 uninstalled Curtis Sparks keys, so he atleast sold that one time check Sparks, for some reason you dont heard alot about the advance key anymore

PunkA$$
10-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by parkers30
for some reason you dont heard alot about the advance key anymore

Why is that? I just installed one in my quad last night and I'm very pleased with the improved throttle response. I won't be so pleased if it ends up damaging my quad, however.

Have there been problems?

Old Head
10-14-2005, 02:03 PM
you can find them at www.magicracing.com. I know they have them because when i ordered my rev box it was there under related items.

10-14-2005, 02:45 PM
i have a new unused one sitting on my desk right here...i bought it and opened it to see the install instructiona dn it ended up being more than i wnated to do myself. I also did not wnat ot pay someone to install it for me...$22 shipped to your door...let me know

PunkA$$
10-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i have a new unused one sitting on my desk right here...i bought it and opened it to see the install instructiona dn it ended up being more than i wnated to do myself. I also did not wnat ot pay someone to install it for me...$22 shipped to your door...let me know

It's really quite straight forward just take your time and make sure you've got all the tools.

Here \/

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/timingkey400ex.html

10-14-2005, 03:11 PM
i am not worried about doing it..just don't wanna take the time to...i am giving the new 450r a few month to let an gremlins show themselves, then i am gonna sell the wifes 300ex and get myself a new 450...she won't need any more zip on the 400..it is more than enough for her...and it makes adjusting the valve an easy job...i hate finding tdc through the spark plug hole

NacsMXer
10-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Punk*****
Why is that? I just installed one in my quad last night and I'm very pleased with the improved throttle response. I won't be so pleased if it ends up damaging my quad, however.

Have there been problems?

It won't necessarily cause problems for a relatively stock motor setup. What a flywheel advance key does is advances the motor's timing. Any time you advance the timing, you get more heat as a biproduct. Advancing the timing also increases the chances of detonation (spark knock).

Like I said, a relatively stock motor should be able to handle the heat. But throw that key in a high compression big bore motor that already runs hotter than stock to begin with and you've got a real hot running motor. Also, with a high compression motor, you want the least chances of detonation as possible. Having the key installed with that setup will just increase the likelihood of the motor detonating on you. This is why they are not reccommended for modified motors :)

PunkA$$
10-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
It won't necessarily cause problems for a relatively stock motor setup. What a flywheel advance key does is advances the motor's timing. Any time you advance the timing, you get more heat as a biproduct. Advancing the timing also increases the chances of detonation (spark knock).

Like I said, a relatively stock motor should be able to handle the heat. But throw that key in a high compression big bore motor that already runs hotter than stock to begin with and you've got a real hot running motor. Also, with a high compression motor, you want the least chances of detonation as possible. Having the key installed with that setup will just increase your chances for detonation. This is why they are not reccommended for modified motors :)

Ya, I learned up on all that before I bought it. Just wondering if there was something else I missed. A problem with the key itself perhaps (shearing off)???

Also, think I should go to the 9 plug now?

NacsMXer
10-14-2005, 03:38 PM
That's cool, I was just making sure you knew about the downsides to it. Try out the colder plug and see if it runs any better, it shouldn't hurt.

Honda#4
10-14-2005, 06:29 PM
D&D racing makes a good timing key.