PDA

View Full Version : 06 slow starters?

powerstroke
10-13-2005, 07:12 PM
I keep hearing the 06's are "slow starters". Any input from the 06 owners? I race XC so a slow starting bike can be an issue(dead engine starts). thanks, Matt

h-bomb450R
10-13-2005, 09:34 PM
They arent slow-starting necessarily....But u CAN NOT touch the throttle while starting it...or else it wont start and then u will be sitting at the line for a couple more seconds trying to get it to turn over.

At least thats the way my bestfriends is.

And we race XC too, so i understand how big of an issue it could be...but as long as u dont touch the throttle it should be fine.

Austin

wanna_be_ridn
10-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Ya mine starts great, but if you touch that throttle at all your done for for a few seconds, other then that it starts up great.

10-13-2005, 10:53 PM
they will start easier the more you rid eit. I think its the valves trying to seat and stuff. My kickstart was the same way and alot of people putting more ride time say on there 06's there 450rs are starting easier as ride time is added

asdf450r
10-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
they will start easier the more you rid eit. I think its the valves trying to seat and stuff. My kickstart was the same way and alot of people putting more ride time say on there 06's there 450rs are starting easier as ride time is added

I second that... same thing happened with my 04, its just a matter of time.

chad cavagnaro
10-14-2005, 06:24 AM
yea, i agree with the first two posts, especially when its hot. dont touch the throttle. hope it does get easier to start with break in time!!

remmyTRX
10-14-2005, 08:04 AM
Cold starts take a couple pushes of the magic button for me.

Once it is warm, I have no problem starting it right up!

Pappy
10-14-2005, 08:27 AM
At the powerline gncc, several new 06's e-start had no trouble firing and getting the holeshot!

I think after the quad gets warmed up, the starting will be as fast as anything else.

10-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Mine was sitting for 5 days untouched n i went out, turned on the choke, hit the starter n it fired right up without hesitation. It idled for 5 minutes or so without stalling. After its warmed up just turn the key n hit that starter ur ready to go!

When i first got it i hated it cuz it would never start. But once its broke in it starts way better than my 400ex ever did.

spincr4hire
10-14-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm hoping somebody comes up with a way to by-pass the wires that prevent it from starting if the throttle is barely touched. I'm guessing its the wires coming out of the throttle housing. ??

QuadRacer041
10-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
I'm hoping somebody comes up with a way to by-pass the wires that prevent it from starting if the throttle is barely touched. I'm guessing its the wires coming out of the throttle housing. ??

yea its just a little nipple the pops out if the throttle is moved off the stop, cause it to trip the switch.i would assume that all you would need to do is jump the 2 wires going into the throttle assembly.
im gonna do a little testing to see if thats the case. i run a twist trottle and would have to do something to bypass it.

STR330R
10-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Yeah I agree with the people saying it will get better once it gets broke in, and don't give it gas because it takes twice as long to get it fired up...

10-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
yea its just a little nipple the pops out if the throttle is moved off the stop, cause it to trip the switch.i would assume that all you would need to do is jump the 2 wires going into the throttle assembly.
im gonna do a little testing to see if thats the case. i run a twist trottle and would have to do something to bypass it. the wires coming out of the throttle are for safty. if the carb is stuck open but u let off the throttle it will bring it down to idel w/ the ignition. my guess is when u hit the throttle u use the excelerator pump putting too much gas in the engine. with the kick start if u hit the gas it can acually backfire in the engine pushing the piston backwards and blowing the side of the case off. this hapens because the kicker is only geared to go 1 way. hope this is not an issue w/ the e/starts. just don't touch the go button:D

QuadRacer041
10-15-2005, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by 911
the wires coming out of the throttle are for safty. if the carb is stuck open but u let off the throttle it will bring it down to idel w/ the ignition. my guess is when u hit the throttle u use the excelerator pump putting too much gas in the engine. with the kick start if u hit the gas it can acually backfire in the engine pushing the piston backwards and blowing the side of the case off. this hapens because the kicker is only geared to go 1 way. hope this is not an issue w/ the e/starts. just don't touch the go button:D

i know what there for....but something will need to be done to run a twist throttle.